Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 09:07   #1

Sailing from Caribbean to New York

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the opportunity to be part of your website.
My husband and I are Australians, who have been sailing our 38 foot Sigma, Steamy Windows, for the last year. We left the UK exactly a year ago, sailed the Med for 6 months and then raced across the Atlantic in the 2006 ARC. We have been cruising the Caribbean for 5 months now, and are now happily pregnant!
My husband has just got a job in New York, so we plan to sail there over the next month, and settle somewhere there in preparation for the baby, due in August.
Has anyone got any ideas what marinas would be good to spend the summer in- where we can have good access to Manhattan, but still get to sail on weekends in interesting places?
Look forward to hearing from you, and happy sailing to you all.
Caylie
Caylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:46   #2

Boat: Lagoon 37 - Island Flyer
Wut i did

hi,

Had the same situation as you last year. Enjoyed glorious downhill run through Bahamas, up to Beaufort - thru intracoastal to Norfolk - then up the New Jersey coast to NY.

Found a slip ($$$, but that's New York) at Brewer Capri Marina in Port Washington, Long Island, NY. (from South, easiest to go up East River, under Brooklyn Bridge etc, very cool). Mind the tide though, Hell Gate is called that for good reason.

Anyhow Capri is served by frequent urban bus service to Long Island Railroad, which provides 24/7 service to Penn Station, Manhattan.

I lived there for all last Summer, but came to my senses and am now in Turks and Caicos.

best,

capn Mike
islandflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 13:09   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Caylie, if you are not familiar with local geography, you may want to study up before making some decisions. Dockage right on Manhattan Island isn't going to happen. Just west, across the Hudson, you can dock at Port Liberte, Newport Marina, and I think another one just above the Statue of Liberty. (Liberty Marina?) They won't be cheap and they won't be "in" NYC but they are just one or two stops away on the $2? PATH train, which connects into the NYC subway system (another $2).

To the east, you can find dockage but I don't think anyplace will let you live aboard until you reach Port Washington (north shore of Long Island, just east of NYC in Nassau County) and that commute would be a cab or long walk to the Long Island RailRoad (LIRR) which goes into NYC, about $7 from there. Going further east the next good harbor would be Oyster Bay, very sheltered, and if Oyster Bay Marina will let you stay aboard (mainly moorings) they are literally around the back of the LIRR station, a very easy commute. Anything further out on the north shore of Long Island will be pushing past a one-hour commute. But most of the local sailing will be in LI Sound (Connecticut on the north side) rather than being restricted to NY Harbor and the Hudson River if you dock in NJ.

From the NJ locations you can pop back out to the Atlantic easily, and since LI Sound gets nearly no wind (very hot & humid) in July and August, that's a trade-off. Fewer places to go but much more wind.<G> Your destinations would be the NJ shore mainly, since the south shore of LI is mainly shallow water and can be a bit hard to access.

Another option is Gateway Marina, if you look for JFK Int. Airport on the maps, Gateway is just west of it, across from the old Floyd Bennet Airfield. Priced more reasonably, a short bus rider (free transfer) up to the subway system and into Manhattan, etc. but again, a shoal approach and not convenient to anything except heading out to the Atlantic again.

And probably the last option is City Island, which is connected to The Bronx. Plenty of boats, old yacht clubs, dockage and moorings but pricey. And on summer weekends, Main Street is a solid mile of cars, one has to leave the island before the next one can get on. Literally! Plenty of good food but it can get on your nerves. Transportation into Manhattan is a long bus to the end of a subway line in not so great a neighborhood, you'd really want to check the commute before committing. On the bright side--it's a very convenient place to sail east into LI Sound from, and to meet thousands of local sailors at the many YC's.

As Mike notes, traversing the East River and Hell Gate can be an issue. It's an easy trip if you check on the currents--but if they are at the wrong time or direction, you aren't going through, so scheduling a trip from NY Harbor up into LI Sound isn't always possible during convenient hours.

As you get north of Annapolis you can readily pick up a copy of the "Eldridge" guide, an orange-covered book that will give you invaluable information about tides, currents, local routing, etc. from the Chesapeake Bay all the way up into Rhode Island. Whatever the cost is--it will be worthwhile picking one up.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 14:07   #4

Hey Hellosailor, you know yer stuff!! great info. BUT.. Port Washington marinas are served by the N23 bus (i know, not perfect) which stops at the LIRR station.
Caylie, if you reach NY and haven't come up with a permanent solution, there's always the 79th St. Yacht Basin in the Hudson on Manhattan's West Side. If location were all, this would be heaven, but in fact, it's pretty crummy. You'd grab a mooring ball (good luck with the current) and dink into the marina. But, for a quick stop to get your breath and look over the local situation, it's a godsend. They've got good beer in the bar in the park across the bike path....

Also, there's the further reaches of the Hudson up to Poughkeepsie or so. The Metro North rail line serves the towns along the Hudon's East side and offer great service to Grand Central Station. In fact, last Summer, I took the Long Island choice and my girlfriend took the Hudson.

Good Luck,

Mike
Old 11-04-2007, 15:34   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Thanks, Mike, I didn't know the N23 route hit up all the marinas.

The 79th street boat basin (unless they've changed the name?) is an interesting concept, I suppose when I signed onto the waiting list 25+ years ago I should have left a bribe?<G> Maybe the list for moorings is shorter, too.<G>

Dunno about the moorings further up the Hudson, the problem there gets to be that you can't sail anyplace except on the Hudson.
Old 11-04-2007, 15:47   #6

yo sailor,

Actually, there are usually a few transient moorings available. And yes, it is "boat basin". My apologies.

A few Marinas up the Hudson, some of which are quite nice. Some of which are affordable .

And yes once again, all ya got is the Hudson. It's WIDE though, and quite a change from the Carib.. Pretty in the Fall... Not MY scene though!

Mike
Old 11-04-2007, 18:14   #7

79th Street does not accept any new yachts in their marina... The moorings may be available.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:42   #8

Thank you

Thanks very much you guys for such valuable advice. We rang the 79th St marina yesterday just for a chat, and they have a 7 year waiting list! But we will look into it carefully and appreciate your advice and knowledge.
Caylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:27   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Caylie, there IS another one I've missed (d'oh!) no doubt because it was built as a megayacht basin with suitably high prices. "North Cove" at Battery Park. Slip Layout

Very much the prime downtown location though.<G>
Old 12-04-2007, 08:26   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Americat 30 Catamaran
Manhattan Marinas

Welcome to the Tri-State area of New York. This website will give you a great selection of Marinas in the New York Metro and adjacent areas.
Good luck!!
Marinas.com | Aerial Photography of Marinas, Lighthouses, Ports, Restaurants, and more
juliohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 13:50   #11

Boat: Beneteau 35s5
Sailing to Manhattan

If you are looking for easy access to the city but are not interested in living there than you might consider New Jersey. Aside from the Long Island sound the Raritan Bay is an excellent area to sail. I am a member
Of the Keyport Yacht Club, very affordable and great membership. The commute into the city from that area is about an hour but a nice place to live.

Check out Marinas.com and search for Keyport New Jersey some nice shots of the marina and bay.

Good Luck
Old 14-04-2007, 15:20   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
You could try Mammaroneck, NY, Westchester county. The train to NYC is within walking distance. It may be tough to get a slip; but you never know. There may be some possiblities in the Bronx (Throgs Neck area). It's kind of late in the season for a slip in the tristate area.

Try checking out some web sites for slip rentals. I have seen some and if I come across any I will post them here.
Old 15-04-2007, 11:18   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Caylie,
Welcomeaboard!! Looks like you've already found out a bunch.
I know nothing of New York other than as a tourist. Hope you enjoy the forum and all your questions are answered.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 13:12   #14

The metro north train runs quite close to the LIS shoreline on the CT side and almost any marina will offer a fast train to NYC. Even as far as Westport the train is about 1HR to Grand Central.

City Island is physically close to NYC (actually technically it IS NYC)... but not a fast commute to Manhattan... a bus to the last stop at White Plans Road. But there are slips and moorings and services. CI has it's charm but it can be a mad house too.

New Rochelle has several options, but not a walk to the train. It's marinas are well protected... and shopping is close by.

Finding a live aboard spot in a marina is tough. You might try Cove in Norwalk, CT... lots of slips or Rex Marine on the West side of the harbor. Not many transient moorings I recall on the CT side.

When sailing up into the sound from south coming round Montauk is the far less challenging for any number of reasons. And the sail down the Sound can be a pleasant transition as you make your way from offshore bliss westward deeper into the center of the universe.

It's pretty hard to sail around Manhatten in the East river... strong currents, fluky winds... lots of river traffic. Have a strong motor and enjoy the view. If your motor fails... you're in trouble.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, new york