Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2007, 10:03   #1

Boat: Islander 36
sailing again

AHOY! I am not new to the forum but being "boatless" sailor I limited myself to reading. Now it is the time to say HELLO! Thanks to the help I received from one of our forum members "Sunspot Baby" and his wife (let them Neptune gives long and smooth sailing) I became a proud owner of an Islander 36 last week. I intend to take her to the Great Lakes next month where I hope to meet some of you.
Rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 10:05   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Rodz,
Welcome back aboard!! I'd like to know about your Islander. I've always considered them a pretty great boat. Yours in good shape?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 11:27   #3

Hello SkiprJohn, It is hard to say anything about conditions of this boat at this moment. She was built in 1979. I have just sailed her for a few hours motoring, because of lack of wind, from a marina to the point where it was hauled out for surveying. The only sure thing I noticed that her bottom was covered with blisters that disappeared after a half an hour on the hard. It was a lesson for me that not always bottom that looked satisfactory when you inspected a boat after some time on the hard is going to be the same when you sail her. On my boat the bottom has to be stripped to the bare fiberglass and dried before beginning of the winter.

The boat has been used for a few years without proper (if any) maintenance. Almost everything is affected. However, the interior of this boat, sails and engine are in good shape. I also think that her windows are a week point, they are leaking. As she was not intended to be a blue water boat she was built with comfort in mind - her salon is roomy. The only thing that struck me is the lack of ventilation. This boat does not have any kind of air exchange if hatches are closed.

IMHO if Islander is maintained properly it will be a great and comfortable boat to sail ... as an island hopper. I will update you after I sail her home.
Old 24-06-2007, 11:48   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodz
The only sure thing I noticed that her bottom was covered with blisters that disappeared after a half an hour on the hard.
It sounds like it's just the bottom paint. Osmosis would stall intact for a long time.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 12:34   #5

delmarrey, I do not think so according to a surveyor .... the blisters were 1" or more in size and whole bottom was covered but rudder and keel. I was told that this is typical for gelcoat osmosis. and that the structural epoxy is not affected. I negotiated a price and the bottom will be done this year. If it is as you said I will be "a few" dollar shorter on something that could be done by myself and spend this monies on something else.