Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2008, 19:23   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've not found that having the boat owned by an LLC to be an issue (in California). My insurance broker and carriers have never seemed to be concerned. I still have to pay the premiums (and taxes, and everything else, through the LLC), but as long as the LLC is not being used for fradulent purposes there shouldn't be a problem.

This is just my experience and I'm certainly not qualified to give legal advice!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 01:09   #32
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Thanks a lot Paul, my LLC was established 3 years ago in Las Vegas and active since then, I hope this wont become an issue, most probably not

Best,

JC
Soft Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 15:25   #33
Back to the game

I have just purchased a 2007 Beneteau 323 that has been maintained immaculate by his first owner who now needs to head back to California.

This boat will shortly be s/v Softair and it will be initially taken to Cartagena and Panama before heading to the Caribbean most probably early 2009.

I am now creating a site for this boat at Soft Air - Home

Best

JC
Old 16-02-2008, 15:49   #34
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Congratulations, JC. Be sure to stop by at Nevis when you sail up the chain.
Old 16-02-2008, 16:18   #35

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha JC,
Congratulations!! I think you got the right size boat. Let us know how your cruising adventures mature.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 01:29   #36

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Well done JC! Fair winds and new horizons to you!! Keep us updated with your adventures!!
Old 18-02-2008, 08:14   #37
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Congrats indeed! Did you register her through your LLC or personally? If the former, I'll be interested in hearing if it poses any difficulty in the check-in procedures in some countries.

I would think that you should carry all necessary corporate papers and a corporate seal to be able to bind the corporation in any situation where the registered owner of the vessel is a required signatory. Secondly, a resolution that gives you the permission of the corporation to have possession of the boat (and to enter into their territorial waters); and one setting out that you are an agent of the corporation, capable of legally representing and binding it concerning the vessel.

Anyway, just a thought. I am not a maritime lawyer, let alone one with expertise in the requirements for entry into a slew of different countries in the Caribbean and South and Central America. At the very least I would be checking with a maritime lawyer concerning the requirements for your proposed 'home' port in Columbia.

I'll be relocating in my cat to Margarita Island in the next year an a half, so you never know, we may cross paths. I can say that I have been advised that I should transfer the registration of my boat to a Venezuelan Corporation that I am establishing (with respect to a small beach-front inn/bar/restaurant that I am building on Playa Zaragoza). I am seeking some additional advice from lawyers/customs agents when I am next down in March before making any decision (and certainly before taking the boat down there).

If you are a resident of Columbia, you may find that there are additional impediments to bringing the boat in. Nueva Esparta (the Venezuelan state that comprises Margarita Island) is a duty-free zone. Nevertheless, when moving to Margarita I am only allowed to bring down items that I have owned for a year prior to the move. While things may be different in Columbia, I would certainly want to check into all of this before returning 'home' in your new purchase.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 03:47   #38
Back to the game

Hud3, thanks for your reply, I hope I make it to Nevis in the future, SkirpJohn thanks, the Boat is a B343 I think 34 is just right for me, I also thank you mickmul.

Southern Star, let me elaborate a complete reply to your interesting post.

Best,
Old 23-02-2008, 07:13   #39
Back to the game

Southern Star,

Thanks for your reply, here are my replies and questions for you

I have not started the registration procedure yet, here are my findings so far:

1. This boat is registered in SC at this time, the owner found out that he can easily transfer the registration to me within the same State for US316

2. I am planning to have my LLC purchasing this boat, my LLC is in Nevada and I have not been able to find a way to remotely register the boat there.

3. In summary, one way to go would be to have my Nevada LLC purchasing the boat and keep it registered in SC, I am trying to find out if this will bring any taxation to me, I dont hold a US citizenship. I am not aware of possible problems entering certain countries if the boat is owned by an LLC, let me know if you have additional information.

4. Another way to go would be to form a Delaware corporation and have the boat registered there but I have heard some countries are not honoring DE registrations...

5. I will carry all corporate and registration papers and I appear as the director of the corporation that also happens to be the pilot of the boat.

6. My boat is not going to be permanently in Cartagena at all, I am planning to spend some 6 to 8 months while I learn in San Blas, Panama and then I am planning to take it around the Caribbean early 2009 so I cannot consider Cartagena her home place.

Awaiting your reply,

Note: I will definitely want to sail to Venezuela once you are there, not that far from Cartagena or San Blas.