Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 13:08   #1

Sailboat shopping 101

Greetings all;

It's been years since I sail. I'm looking to jump in and figured that a used boat nearby is perhaps the easy button way.. So for a boat in the 10-15k range I'm thinking a survey is a good start... Will most owners be willing to go thru such a process or just say take it or leave it??...

Regards, Joe
Joekrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 13:16   #2

Re: Sailboat shopping 101

It's just hard to say. The lower value you get the less people want to deal with that stuff. If the boat is in running condition and not far from a haul out I don't think most would balk at a survey though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 13:29   #3

I understand the need for a haul out..What if I do all the mechanicals and skip the haul out..
Joekrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 13:34   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

If you have that little experience it may be best for you to go through a broker who will guide you thru the process. On your own you could get ripped easily. It's best to have an experienced boating friend who could keep you out of trouble.
Old 11-03-2017, 13:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekrish View Post
I understand the need for a haul out..What if I do all the mechanicals and skip the haul out..
Sure. I've done it. The risk is that the boat needs a $10k bottom job. You could ask a diver to clean and inspect as an alternative. I looked at the bottom of a lightweight boat by using a halyard to heel it over at the dock. It's much harder than you think though. But I was able to see enough to know the boat was loaded with blisters and I didn't need to see any further. Good way to avoid survey costs.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, shopping