Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2008, 15:50   #1

Thumbs up Rocky Mountain newbie here

Greetings from the great state of Colorado.

My wife and I planning on attending cruise and learn, bareboat class in the next year or so.

We have begun to talk to a couple of companies out in the puget sound area. Our idea is check out the area, while learning a potential hobby (sailing).

We've talked about moving up that way when we retire (or sooner, if the wind is right). Our three kids will be out of the house in the next year, so it is time to find other things to do with our times.
MindsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 16:00   #2

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find it as useful as I have.
We are in Loveland/Fort Collins area, and just bought a 38' Cutter that we keep slipped in San Diego. We have sold our house, and are about to make the plunge this fall for our first truly extended cruise.

There are some great people on the boards here, with some great advice. Read over some of the older threads and you will find a wealth of information.

Good luck to you! Welcome!
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 17:29   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome aboard Mindseye:

Great group odf people here. I had my boat up in the PNW for about 18 months. Couldn't get enough of it. Great place to cruise. Sailing is hard in the summer as the winds are fickle try the spring or fall. Lots of people on the forum from up there. Good luck with your new hobbies.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 19:38   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
My wife and I planning on attending cruise and learn, bareboat class in the next year or so.
Year or so? Why not do it now. You can often set these classes up as a live aboard course. We did a one week in San Diego and the class was less money than a downtown hotel. The weather there is more reliable. Other places are just as nice. Try to talk to the instructor first to see if the course is set up for folks like you (many are). Make a vacation out of it. You do all the reading before you go and then you just live it for a week. The very worst that can happen is you'll have fun and decide you don't want to do it again but you still had fun - worst possible case! It's all supposed to be fun even the class stuff should be fun. If you like it then you can do it again. A taste of the real thing helps a lot and prepares you better. Doing it togther is what you expect to do later so try it now. Talking about it just isn't enough.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 22:09   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome to the site and also to sailig.

Hope you find it all as enjoyable as it can be - but do be warned about the kids.

They today grow an invisible bungy cord. Just when you sigh and think they are up an gone - wham - there they are again. Honest.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mindseye,
Welcome aboard! Lots of folks have done what you've decided to do. You'll get gobs of information and opinion on this forum.
Ask specific questions in the apporpriate board and there are bound to be some good answers.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote