Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2005, 21:16   #1

Question Rocky Mountain High

Hello from Colorado!!

My wife, daughter and myself are tired of living away from the ocean. We are ready to move to Florida and buy our first boat. We have no sailing experience but are un-detered. I have SO many questions and hope someone can help us with some details (do we need passports to cruise??) etc.

Thanks,
cableguy
rjthecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Welcome and all the best on your new adventure.
As for passports, travelling to another country is just the same as flying and driving. You can't just sneek in, (At least without causing a lot of trouble), you have to have a Passport if the country you are visiting requires and Visa's. If you scroll on down to the Red tape heading, you will get a bit of a feel for what some area's require.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:55   #3

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Hi Cableguy,

Have to seen Florida rental and real estate prices recently? At least in South Florida, they are through the ozone. Unless you need to leave Colorado permanently for some reason, why not do the research to develop a "short list" of boats that interest you, then start looking. The entire east coast is fertile ground, and you can always hop a plane to "kick the tires" on those that you really like.

Florida is a great place (I lived there for 25 years before we took off cruising), but it carries a large jolt of sticker shock. Just wanted you to be prepared.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 18:02   #4

Thanks

Thanks, Wheels. I had heard a drivers license was all that was required in some ports. I have saved money, read some books, researched some boats, what other crucial info should I be aware of since I have no experience other than the occasional crewing on a friends boat. I am SO excited that I know I will be missing some crucial things. (a complete newby) Any web-site suggestions? Thanks again,

cableguy
Old 01-04-2005, 18:08   #5

pirate

Harriett,

Much thanks on the Florida info. We want to move to where the ocean and the boats are. We would be live-aboards first, to familiarize ourselves with the boat and the life-style. (also to complete the crusing kitty). What would you reccommend as a port that is friendly to liveaboards and isn't going to kill us financially? Thanks for any help.

Cableguy.

P.S. I have heard some of the stories, Is crusing everything my heart wants to believe it is?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:59   #6

Hi cableguy,
Please keep us updated with your live-aboard experience.
I am also thinking of taking my family cruising in 4-6 years, and curious to know if living aboard before cruising is a good path.
I am also sure that a lot of your questions and their answers will be helpful for me too.
yona is offline   Reply With Quote