Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 04:14   #1

Retiring in Thailand

Hi all, we have decided to join this forum so we can make contact with like minded cruisers who have decided to make Thailand their destination for retirement.
We are currently working in Australia, converting our fishing trawler into a comfortable live aboard with the intention of retiring in 2 years. We have owned and lived on boats for a number years including being crew on offshore passages.
We visited Thailand in 2010 and decided it was definitely a destination to consider for eventual retirement.
There are many things to consider before making the final decision and we hope that some of you can help answer our concerns regarding health facilities, visa requirements to name just two important questions.
Hope you can help.
sharalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:32   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Retiring in Thailand

Welcome to CF.

There are a couple of folks here who are based in Thailand, at least part time - so no doubt they will pop head over parapet shortly.

My experiances of Thailand did not involve much by the way of boats, but nonetheless covered a fair bit, including marrying a local (and then burying her) - albeit most of my first hand info now 5 years out of date. My best advice is to do things properly rather than be tempted to take shortcuts, especially on Visas, status of the boat and anything involving money - no matter what some of the local expat "experts" may suggest. Mai Pen Rai stops working when the dooda hits the fan.

Anyway, enjoy the adventure!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:19   #3

thanks for you quick reply and honest opinion. Excuse our ignorance but what is
"Mai Pen Rai "?
sharalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Basically "No worries" or "Don't worry about it'. No, i cannot speak Thai, but i can use google I wanted to know as well.

Coops.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:32   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharalee View Post
thanks for you quick reply and honest opinion. Excuse our ignorance but what is
"Mai Pen Rai "?
Broadly speaking it's the Thai equivalent of the Aussie phrase "No worries, mate" .

Mai Pen Rai | Thailand Travel Tips

Of course like much else in Thailand usage can be a little more complex and doesn't always mean the person is happy or relaxed about a situation - even if they are also smiling! (with the Thais the smile is really a default / neutral expression to strangers rather than an automatic expression of genuine happiness).
Old 01-07-2012, 05:34   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

dooda is not Thai..........and means dooda
Old 01-07-2012, 05:37   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
dooda .......... dooda
And Camptown ladies sing this song..........

Coops.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:46   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

We retired there three years ago. What are your questions?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:34   #9

Boat: prout 37 cat
Send a message via Skype™ to jomac1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomac1 View Post
gday guys joe here am heading back to krabi in 10-12 days time to begin the next stage of my life and possibly picking up a prout 37 snowgoose if all goes well with the survey shall keep you all posted jomac1
never give a sucker an even break
jomac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:00   #10

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

we've heard good things.. headed that way next spring with a stopover in Hawaii..
I would also be interested in first hand knowledge.. in expences mainly as I,m wondering how far my money will go .. we are also retired, or will be soon..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
we've heard good things.. headed that way next spring with a stopover in Hawaii..
I would also be interested in first hand knowledge.. in expences mainly as I,m wondering how far my money will go .. we are also retired, or will be soon..
I can't speak for living aboard but on land it's cheap especially if you get away from the tourist areas like Phuket. As with anything a lot depends on your lifestyle and what you do with your time.
Old 01-07-2012, 18:12   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Thailand is a good choice. I wrote a post to another member recently but the iPad search feature is limited so I will try to find it when ai get to a PC.

Thailand has a retirement visa scheme. Google retire in Thailand and make sure you pick the government website. Basically you have to put about US$25k in a bank and prove income of about US$2k a month.

Thailand works a little chaotically. You need patience dealing with anything governmental but it can be done.

Malaysia also has a retirement scheme but prices went up recently.

There are tons of anchorages and many places to visit in Thailand and regionally. Living is also very reasonable.

Thailand and Malaysia are currently at the top of my retirement list.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 20:25   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have been to Thailand 10 times over 10 years. I have stayed as long as 10 weeks at a time. I would suggest you not base all your future plans on one visit. Put some time into it and see if it's really for you.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:02   #14

Boat: Swan 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharalee View Post
we hope that some of you can help answer our concerns regarding health facilities, visa requirements to name just two important questions.
Visa requirements are very well documented - contact your Thai embassy.

Health facilities are very good...one could use the words 'world class'. I've used the following hospital in Bangkok a number of times and my girlfriend has had quite a serious operation there.

We are both long term Hong Kong residents, but choose to travel to Bangkok for medical facilities when we need them.

The service you will get will most likely be an improvement on what you receive in your own country.

Bumrungrad International Hospital | Bangkok Thailand - Medical Procedures/Health Check-ups
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:15   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I would suggest you not base all your future plans on one visit. Put some time into it and see if it's really for you.
+1

The place has it's pros and cons (like anywhere) and many (most?!) have a love hate relationship with the place! Personally I could never live there permanently as I just found it a bit too frustrating - admitedlly not helped by never learning the lingo! (being tone deaf and British were my handicaps - and being lazy!)....albeit I did become pretty good at reading the locals / situations.

One thing OP will not be short of is advice - lol!, my 2 cents worth is not to make Thailand a final destination from the getgo or even forever (Thailand like everywhere else does change) - have a plan B. and on the practical side:-

1) Learn the basics in Thai, the polite stuff (please and thank-you etc), how to act politely - plus the numbers. definately the numbers! - it's the money .

2) accept everything at face value - just don't beleive a word of anything until you actually know, let alone act on anything - especially when it comes to parting with money (and that applies as much to your fellow foreigners as well as the locals). Look and listen a lot and judge people on actions and not simply words.

3) Smile and relax , your learning curve will involve parting with a few quid and making some mistakes, but that's just how life is with anywhere new - but the degree is in your own control.

FWIW, me has one eye on Malaysia for the future - time will tell how all that goes.

Tags
Thailand