Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 06:35   #1

Smile Repowering a 42' Trawler

Hello,

I have interest for an old reliable 42' trawler. I would have to change the engines. I don't need huge power. I think to keep atmospheric engines is the best, maximum power 150 hp (twin). Which brand would you recommend for reliability ?
msar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 08:03   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Repowering a 42' Trawler

Beta Marine sells a marinized Iveco which should work. Another choice would be a pair of factory remanned Cummins 6BTAs. More hp than you need but you can run them slow and they will last forever.

John Deere (or the Lugger equivalent) makes a heavy, slow turning, normally aspirated engine. But they are quite expensive.

And of course people still rebuild old Lehmans and Perkins. Try Trans Atlantic Diesel but only if you have a Perkins core to rebuild. American Marine used to have a new Lehman clone, but I hear it is no longer made.

And ask your question on the Trawler Forum. There are some Pacific Northwest guys who swear by marinized xx engines (can't remember, may be Isuzu, Hino, or???).

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 11:04   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
kind regards,
Old 29-11-2012, 11:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Beta Marine sells a marinized Iveco which should work. Another choice would be a pair of factory remanned Cummins 6BTAs. More hp than you need but you can run them slow and they will last forever.

John Deere (or the Lugger equivalent) makes a heavy, slow turning, normally aspirated engine. But they are quite expensive.

And of course people still rebuild old Lehmans and Perkins. Try Trans Atlantic Diesel but only if you have a Perkins core to rebuild. American Marine used to have a new Lehman clone, but I hear it is no longer made.

And ask your question on the Trawler Forum. There are some Pacific Northwest guys who swear by marinized xx engines (can't remember, may be Isuzu, Hino, or???).

David
Many thanks for your advices... Good to hear. I have details for Iveco. I was afraid with Cummins (I am based in France and service is bad here). Lugger yes ! Have a great day. M.
Old 29-11-2012, 11:29   #5

I bought a diesel Iveco truck for the company I worked for years ago, the damn thing ran forever... I've always wondered what ever happened to the brand... and if they were ever marinized....sounds like they are still going....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 12:29   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Given that you are in France, also look at the Nanni line. They have a 3.8 liter Kuboto 4 cylinder with a balance shaft that puts out 115 hp. It is turbocharged. But it will be light, small and smooth.

3.8 liters is pretty small, but if you only cruise at displacement speeds, then you will be pulling less than half of the rated horsepower from a pair of them to make that speed.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:14   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I would have thought that the John Deere 4045DFMs (85hp, non turbo) would be suitable engines. Don't write them off without getting quotes from JD dealers (many farm equipment companies can source them, and being used to dealing with farmers may be very realistic on price).

My experience with John Deere is that parts are available everywhere, they are a big powerful engine, and that mating them with an oversized gearbox like the ZF63 is desirable.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:30   #8

have you bought this trawler or are you only looking at her? love gardner engines the 6lxb i think puts out around 127hp, looked at 40ft wooden trawler last week with one in it and just waiting to see if the guy will come down in price
Old 29-11-2012, 15:33   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I bought a diesel Iveco truck for the company I worked for years ago, the damn thing ran forever... I've always wondered what ever happened to the brand... and if they were ever marinized....sounds like they are still going....
IVECO MARINE DIESEL ENGINES from Powertech Engines Inc -- Authorized Ford Power Products, Iveco Motors, and Lombardini diesel Engine Distributor for Iveco Marine diesel engines and engine products and Iveco Marine diesel gensets and diesel marine gen

6lxb Gardner would be my choice if you could get one.
50 ft trawler in my sig has one and gets 1l/nm doing around 8 knots at around 1100rpm
Old 29-11-2012, 21:58   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'

I like Isuzu, the marinized truck engines. John Deere also makes a very good engine, Lehman makes a 6 cyl natural aspirated that works good too, any of those would be my vote.
Old 29-11-2012, 22:45   #11

Many thanks to all of you !
100 hp is too low.... Between 135 and 150 naturally aspirated is the best combination. Iveco has one and parts are not expensive... and the boat will be in the Med. I don't have the boat yet. Looking at her. She has the 4-53 GM.... so noisy !

Tags
trawler