Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 17:58   #16

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Refitting a Cheoy Lee Offshore 31 Ketch

liquidkangaroo, I have to admit to reading your initial post and thinking that you were posting as a newbie, and stating that you would be here to seek out advise. Many here, and including some sailors I know in person would suggest against buying a project, they still are trying to talk me out of doing the same thing that you are presently going through. Critics will tell you that buying a project is more expensive than buying one already done, and you know what, usually that is very true. I on the other hand have to fall in love with something if I am going to pour my resources, blood sweat and tears into it.

That said, it is you who sound rather arrogant. Celestialsailor, Cheechako, and Terra Nova are members I would suggest giving the benefit of a doubt. There are many members who have logged more miles than you and I ever will in our lifetimes, and were just making an observation based on your post. So chill a bit. I have not bought(yet) what probably will be a project, not as much as the extent of your work. That said, I am nervous as hell as to what boat to get, and reading posts for two years waiting, reading, studying and sailing has made be smarter, but Lord knows, I will probably do something financially stupid and buy some project.

So sit back, and fill us in, ask away or just post comments. This group is here to support, suggest when they feel the need, but do not take things personal. The people I have met or talked to have been very informative and supportive. If you want to really kick a bees nest and have some thick skin, try sailinganarchy.

Good luck and can't wait to see more posts about that lovely boat. I am looking at a Cheoy Lee right now as well. You can find them on facebook, there is also LeakyTeakyYachtClub@yahoogroups.com that zeehag here on CF would love to tell you about.
Old 27-11-2014, 19:14   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidkangaroo View Post

Cost is not so much an issue with me, as I have a great, well-paying job that allows me to work from anywhere. I am in this for the fun and adventure that I know it will provide, whether the refit costs me $5000 or $50000.

On sustained interest, as an engineer who is OCD, things do not remain undone or unfixed around me for long. I have also been in touch with several local professional riggers, etc who I will hire to teach and work with me on her to ensure they are done properly.
Apologies if I sounded condescending. I've restored a few and always try to give people a heads up. You have the right attitude and I'm looking forward to your progress. Keep us informed...CS
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 23:21   #18

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

That is a beautiful boat. Looking forward to following your progress online.

It will be no small task to have done by the new year. And an inspiration to others to see it. Hell, I've had a gallon of varnish and supplies sitting in the v-berth sole twice that long just taunting me.

Best of luck and congrates on choosing a boat worthy of a new love.
Old 28-11-2014, 01:02   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 31 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
Good luck and can't wait to see more posts about that lovely boat. I am looking at a Cheoy Lee right now as well. You can find them on facebook, there is also LeakyTeakyYachtClub@yahoogroups.com that zeehag here on CF would love to tell you about.
Thank you very much for the welcome. My only issue was with the condesending way his first post was worded, especially as an introduction to a brand new member. It sounded as though he knew more about the boat than my expert who has been hands on with her. I love learning as I have said, it's why I'm here. All I'm saying is that as an older, experienced member, there was a better way his post could have been worded.

Thanks for the heads up on the yahoo group! I sometimes forget that there are sources other than google. Haha. Cheoy Lee Shipyards have been very helpful in providing detailed information about my boat. I provided pictures and they have given me some very good prices on a few pieces of missing hardware. They usually answer emails within a few hours as well.
liquidkangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 01:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Apologies if I sounded condescending. I've restored a few and always try to give people a heads up. You have the right attitude and I'm looking forward to your progress. Keep us informed...CS
Ohh no need to apologize. I just wanted to be clear on the financial factor because some people will get hung up on that. What were the biggest problems that came up in your restorations.
Old 28-11-2014, 01:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
That is a beautiful boat. Looking forward to following your progress online.

It will be no small task to have done by the new year. And an inspiration to others to see it. Hell, I've had a gallon of varnish and supplies sitting in the v-berth sole twice that long just taunting me.

Best of luck and congrates on choosing a boat worthy of a new love.
Thank you very much! My goal is to start living aboard by the end of the year and sailing by summer of 2015. I only wish I could have her done by the end of the year! Haha. I hope that by living aboard it will give me an opportunity to spend all my spare time working on the boat. We will see how it goes. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Old 28-11-2014, 04:26   #22

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I really do wish you the best, there are some people who will say you are nuts, and lets be honest, buying a project boat is not a rational thing. It is something that you have your heart into. There are boatyards, and backyards everywhere filled with broken dreams that have never been finished, in fact there is a youtube video named "Boatyard of broken dreams" look it up, it's kinda sad, but you can still see people working away, and not giving up, good on them. You sound like a very driven person, and that is what it is gonna take to get her done. Can't wait to see the pics.

This guy has been doing the same as you, except he started in 2010, and fully customized his boat, and is almost done. Everything he has done is custom one off, and hand made by him. It sounds like you are ahead in that game. Far Reach Voyages Home Page
Old 28-11-2014, 07:23   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidkangaroo View Post
Ohh no need to apologize. I just wanted to be clear on the financial factor because some people will get hung up on that. What were the biggest problems that came up in your restorations.
The big restore was an Olympian 34 that I found nestled in a canyon down in Barstow. It had 3 feet of rain water in it with a dead coyote. I chain sawed out the interior and went from there. It was a 3 year job and about 15 grand. I'd never do that again. Then there was the Tartan Blackwatch 37 with the soft decks. The plywood core was wet. New core and toe rails. Only 4 months but a real ugly hassle. In the end, after years of enjoyment with them, I sold them for more than I had into them minus my labor.
My HR 35 I have now, I did a complete refit. This includes rigging and an engine rebuild. But I got a great deal on her and she is in Mexico right now ready to do the Marquesas and beyond.
As to my mental state...I always say I'll never by another boat but the HR 35 is my 8th boat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:02   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

If your boat is being towed to a marina in Virginia and you will be arriving next month (winter) to work on her interior, you might consider a short term rental apartment until you get to the point where you aren't dealing with clouds of dust. I had to remove all of the peeling gelcoat from my interior and redo all of the wood while living in the boat and it was pretty difficult, about eight hours a day for year in total to get her looking good inside and out. When a friend offered a small house to stay in for a few months while completing the work it made things much easier. If not, at least rent a storage unit to keep your things free of dust. It will also be cold as heck until the end of March and difficult to keep the boat warm while you are working on it.

She has good bones and if you are planning on keeping her there is great pleasure in bringing back a classic boat to great condition even if it doesn't make financial sense. At least you won't have to worry about depreciation or dependability and you will have intimate knowledge of the boat when the job is completed.

Further, you will be surprised about how many different expert opinions there are on how to do even seemingly simple jobs. It makes sense to do lots of research and then make up your own mind as to what is best for your boat.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 12:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
If your boat is being towed to a marina in Virginia and you will be arriving next month (winter) to work on her interior, you might consider a short term rental apartment until you get to the point where you aren't dealing with clouds of dust. I had to remove all of the peeling gelcoat from my interior and redo all of the wood while living in the boat and it was pretty difficult, about eight hours a day for year in total to get her looking good inside and out. When a friend offered a small house to stay in for a few months while completing the work it made things much easier. If not, at least rent a storage unit to keep your things free of dust. It will also be cold as heck until the end of March and difficult to keep the boat warm while you are working on it.

She has good bones and if you are planning on keeping her there is great pleasure in bringing back a classic boat to great condition even if it doesn't make financial sense. At least you won't have to worry about depreciation or dependability and you will have intimate knowledge of the boat when the job is completed.

Further, you will be surprised about how many different expert opinions there are on how to do even seemingly simple jobs. It makes sense to do lots of research and then make up your own mind as to what is best for your boat.
That's a great suggestion! Sometimes my backpackers mentality causes me to forget more comfortable options and for the sake of this refit and the fact that it will be winter that is not a bad idea. At first glance it looks as though there are several local options available.

She definitely will be a very beautiful cruiser once she is fixed up and I am determined to see her back that way. I love hearing many different opinions before I make a decision. Just last night I was reading an article on the many different head configurations that you can go with, manual, electronic, composting, etc. Each had its advantages and disadvantages. Now I am more confused than ever! But I know I will eventually find the one that works for me.

Tags
cheoy lee, ketch, offshore, refit