Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 07:46   #16

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Ready to retire

At last, someone who presents a reasonable goal to begin sailing. My suggestions include that you consider boating and navigation courses but I want to get back to your boat selection process.

Money Talks!!! Unfortunately from my experience it can only say "GOODBYE!"

You will be wise to charter (as others have suggested), get familiar with some of the basics learned by just being on the water. Don't commit a large sum of money on ANY boat until you have at least some experience in sailing something close to that which you wish to throw money at.

Other than, good luck and WELCOME to the forum!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 07:55   #17

Depending on your reasons for wanting a catamaran, you might consider a trimaran, which would generally be a lot easier to single-hand and less worrisome in an emergency (can't sink, for starters). However, if voluminous space is your reason for wanting a catamaran, then you would not be happy with most trimarans.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 08:12   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ready to retire

Here's a 38ft Cat you can singlehand...
I could say never set your goals to others limitations or something...
But that would be rude...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1154_3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	53119  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 08:44   #19

Boat: Lagoon 420
nm505man, another poster suggested a PDQ36. Check out www.zerotocruising.com. They've covered Canada to Grenada and points in between quite nicely. As a couple of course but could very well be a good boat for you as a singlehander.

Welcome to CF and good luck.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 09:17   #20

Boat: Haida 26

Just do what feels best to you. retirement is great, I retired 3 yrs ago and it's wonderfull. sailed a haida 26 from Canada- Mexico 2011. Will do this again 2013, but now have a O Day 27. Just a little more room. You'll meet some very great new freinds doing this, you won't miss working.you no longer have to be in a hurry....Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 09:41   #21

Welcome, and love your dream! It ain't that hard.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 10:18   #22

Boat: too many

505 welcome to CF. First, a cat is a real boat, and when anchored you will like the reduced motion. As to size, with electric windlasses, no problem. Close quarters, the two wide spaced props will allow precise positioning (extremely precise if electric). My first time cruising solo was with my Cal 40 over 20 years ago. I'm 60 now and will probably go the cat route also, just for all the advantages making it easier cruising.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 10:32   #23

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

You could look at a 37 or 38 ft Prout Catamaran.

They have sea-going cockpits and are easy to single-hand. Also, they have a small main, with a staysail and genoa... it's an easier outfit than-- say-- a 1000 sq ft (give or take) main on some production cats of a similar length.

I have a Snowgoose and the main is 300 sq ft. I can haul it up without the winch. Genoa's on a profurl, and I plan on getting one for the staysail.

Cheers, S/V Octopussy

Follow the adventure at S/V Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 18:32   #24

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

Follow your dream.

We are anchored in Huatulco, Mexico and 5 single handers have come through this anchorage in the last two months (of 6 boats total). Two were men on 38+ foot catamarans and they both handled the anchoring process easily. Both seemed happy. One of the single handers was a 57 year old woman on a 46' steel monohull. She also handled anchoring with skill and was a happy cruiser.

So if you want a 38' cat, get one.

Cruising is very hard work and is very exhausting and is a very expensive way to travel 3rd class. When folks say it is all about fixing your boat in exotic places, they aren't making it up. Going cruising has to be something you are extremely passionate about -- and you have to LOVE doing repairs on boats and maintaining boats, because an easy 20 hours of each week will be spent doing just that.

However, lots of folks do it and do it happily. Do some soul searching to discover why you want to go cruising (as opposed to land-based travel of another sort, like backpacking, hosteling, RVing, etc.). If it is because you LOVE boats, boating and the ocean, then follow your heart and go.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:28   #25

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum.
Old 22-01-2013, 06:32   #26

I understood that I would get many different views and opionions on my post, but that is what I wanted. "Fair weather never makes a sailor", so I do appreciate the different view points and opinions. Most of you have more sailing experience that I so I read and listen.
nm505man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 19:24   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Here's another opinion. Take some lessons starting with a basic sailing class if you haven't had one yet. Go to some boat shows and start walking the docks to meet people who actually are doing what you want to do. Join a club if there is a reasonably priced one in your area and don't get stuck on one particular boat or even one style of boat.
When I started to sail, trimarans and catamarans were an oddity that all monohull afficienados said would capsize and never be able to be righted again. I sailed on a few and found their motion to be alien to me. I've stuck with monohulls. That doesn't mean that multihulls are bad, it just means they are different than monohulls and everyone should experience both.
kind regards,
Old 03-02-2013, 22:44   #28

Re: Ready to Retire

I have truly appreciated the inputs (opinions) and they have given me a lot to think about.

I like the spec's on a PDQ 36 Capella LRC cat. They are more in my cash price range than a 38' Cat. But they seem to be rare. Single handling a 36' would probably better and still be good on Blue Water, if I ever leave the coast.

Also haven't ruled out a mono-hull. Been looking at a Hunter 376, it seems to have some good reviews. I would like to have some room if I am going to live aboard it. Trimarans..... ummm, haven't considered those.

A friend and I are going to take ASA Coastal Sailing the summer and I am looking to attend a few boat shows and walk the docks. I will have more time to invest in a few months.

Keep the comments coming. Thanks.
nm505man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:51   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Ready to Retire

All in all, while I do agree that this can be done with a cat or a tri, I think a monohull will be easier to set up for singlehanding, and easier to manage, too. Precise maneuvering is quite do-able with a single screw mono, just takes a bit of practice. In fact, I would say it is easier, since from the cockpit of a mono you can look straight down, either side, to see where you are in relation to dock, pilings, etc. I do agree that a cat is more comfortable in an open anchorage, though.

Where will you be sailing? Some would argue that a Hunter isn't the best boat for crossing oceans, but it will do nicely for coastal or caribbean cruising, I think. They can be had for a reasonable price. In general, a mono will be cheaper than a multi.

Don't forget that in the (rare) event of a capsize, a catamaran is gonna pretty much just stay upside down. I do not think, because of the rarity of a cat capsize, that this is a major consideration, but it is A consideration. OTOH, they do usually float, even upside down.

Easiest sailing will be on a mono, all lines led to the cockpit and at least 4 winches and plenty of cleats adn stoppers, traveler for the main, and a roller furling and self tacking jib, too. But that doens't mean you can't do it in a cat, so consider a multi but keep your eye out for the perfect cat at a good price, too.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
You could look at a 37 or 38 ft Prout Catamaran.

They have sea-going cockpits and are easy to single-hand. Also, they have a small main, with a staysail and genoa... it's an easier outfit than-- say-- a 1000 sq ft (give or take) main on some production cats of a similar length.

I have a Snowgoose and the main is 300 sq ft. I can haul it up without the winch. Genoa's on a profurl, and I plan on getting one for the staysail.

Cheers, S/V Octopussy

Follow the adventure at S/V Octopussy
Also maybe the Prout Escale 39. I don't have any experience sailing one but we looked at buying one and like Octopussy says they have a nice cockpit that would make single handing easy.