Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 14:58   #1

Boat: Pearson 36 cutter
Re-entry in North Carolina

Hello from Coastal NC,

I am not new to sailing, but it has been 30+ years since I have had my hand on the tiller of a sailboat larger than 16 feet. As a boy, I sailed Sunfish in Choctawhatchee Bay, Florida and in the Gulf of Mexico. I crewed for my dad in his Catalina 27 for about ten years, but after I graduated from college, work and family (plus not being near a large body of water) ended my large sailboating experience. I've owned a Laser dinghy for fifteen years, and I've lake-sailed it and ocean sailed it, but now I want a large (30-36 foot) boat that could reasonably be sailed along the East Coast between Norfolk and northern Florida, and even to the Bahamas after a bit of experience and proper outfitting. This is something my dad always wanted to do but never had the chance to between work and health issues. I'm ready to re-enter the sailing world, and I'm at a point in life where that is possible from a time and money standpoint.

I cannot afford a new boat (of the > 30 ft size), and I've been looking in the less-than-$50,000 range for a good quality, seaworthy used boat. I will sacrifice comfort for quality, reliability, and seaworthiness every time. My dream is to get a boat this year, spend about one or two years getting acquainted with it in terms of handling, as well as outfitting it with appropriate equipment as necessary, and then sailing it down the coast to a jumping off point where my son and I can sail it to the Bahamas. Prior to that, I would explore the NC, SC, and GA coasts with my wife.

That's the dream. Suggestions on boats to make it happen are welcome, along with ideas about whether to buy a boat that is maxed-out with equipment, or to get a solid basic boat and add nav equipment, dodgers, furling equipment, etc over time. I've looked at a Tartan 34-2, a JJ Taylor Contessa 32, and a couple of Hunters that were somewhat worse for wear. I would of course bring in a professional surveyor before any purchase. I'm doing my initial boating course through USCG Auxiliary, and I know I have a lot to catch up on, but I can't wait to be back out on the water.

Hello to all,
BHI Guy
BHI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 20:06   #2

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Re: Re-entry in North Carolina

BHI......you have a good plan. There are boats out there that will do what you want. You say in the $50,000 range. Just me but you can find "the one" for 1/2 that and then use your other 1/2 to outfit with updated gear....go for it and enjoy....

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin......

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 03:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Re-entry in North Carolina

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BHI Guy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina