Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 18:07   #1

Question regarding licence number

Hi there. I had a quick question regarding the licence number on the side of boats. Im trying to find information on a specific boat via its h.i.n. but I cant seem to find a "finder" on the internet. Lets say I want to buy a boat and that I have the number on the side of this boat. Is there's a web site that allows me to find any information on this boat via its hull number? Thanks
Acoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 18:12   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I don't know about Canada but in the US that info is only for official use only. Privacy Acts.................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 18:28   #3

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Rick has looked information up on line about boats we have seen, but I think he has done it by vessel name. I'll ask him in the morning and he can respond....

The only thing I have ever heard the numbers used for is to report vessels to the OPP for dangerous operation.....I could be wrong, of course...that's why I keep the captain around!

Lori
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 18:33   #4

Thanks. Its true I am a Canadian but the boat I am refering too has a California company as the manufacturer. I was sort of hoping there was a boat finder on the internet but i had'nt considered privacy acts. Thanks for the fast replies.
Old 08-03-2007, 19:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You really can't get much on HIN other than you can look up the manufacturer from the first 3 letters of the HIN. For US state registrations you can't get anything. US state registrations start with the 2 letter state abbreviation. US documented vessels are numeric only.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hull Identification Numbers (HIN)
Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:29   #7
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
You can try BoatUS. They have a support bulletin board where you can make inquiries on specific boat brands & models.

BoatUS Club House Messageboards

I've seen services where you can enter a HIN and you get a canned report on recalls/defects on specific makes/models but I don't think it's like CarFax where you get a detailed history of the boat.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:04   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If a US boat is USCG Documented you can get a title history from the USCG for $25. It will detail the ownership history and show any liens but that is the only information they retain - that you could get. There is no other database that will tell you anything else about an HIN as far as things you might want to know that you could not tell from just seeing it or decoding the builer / model number and date. Contacting the vendor would yield more details than anything else but they don't have a history of the boat.

There is no similar thing like CarFax for boats. This message board is better than Boat US (I'm not just saying it). There really isn't vey much activity there given the large number of members. An owners association may actually be the better choice. On the two boats I have purchased I found a lot of history information through the respective owners association lists.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:21   #9

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Here's the site I used - they nreport any damage, liens, legal actions etc 8 checks in all by using the HIN for a small fee.

Hope this helps.

Used boat history reports search, boat history HIN check at Boat History Report
Old 09-03-2007, 14:17   #10

I was not expecting all of this great information. Thanks everyone. Im doing my reasherch right now using everyones suggestions. thanks again
Old 28-06-2008, 21:17   #11

Boat: Shopping for catamaran
Can anyone report their experience with BoatHistoryReport.com, since the last entry on this thread last year? We found the search service on our own and came to the forum for opinions. The fee is not particularly small, $45 - so is it worth it?

Thanks.
Brandywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 06:32   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm am skeptical of information based on HIN number. It may include insurance claims but it won't provide the details very well. You may find out the boat was once stolen but it's not likely.

The point of the service is to provide you information about a boat. You pay $45 and I'm not sure you get what you are looking for. At best you find something that rasies more questions. If they find nothing then you know even less. A boat survey is still the best asurance. They do cost more but I would expect you can look and examine a boat well enough to decide if it is worth getting a survey. With a USCG documented boat you can also get a history for about $35. It would list all claims ever made on the boat and any outstanding issues or encumberances. That is at least solid reliable information.

This is just one more scam of selling of public information over the internet. It's maybe slightly less effective than paying to get a credit score.
Old 30-06-2008, 13:39   #13
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
The CG's report of liens against a boat are not all inclusive. Meaning, a lien against a boat is valid without filing it with the Coast Guard. There is NO requirement that a lien be files with the CG. For the FILER, Filing with the CG does get you recognition that there is a lien against the boat, and the CG will not transfer title until the lien is satisfied.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 14:25   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There is NO requirement that a lien be files with the CG. For the FILER, Filing with the CG does get you recognition that there is a lien against the boat, and the CG will not transfer title until the lien is satisfied.
Not filing a lien with the USCG means there is no lien. A lien is an encumbrance on the title only. The owner must secure the proper clearance for the lien in order to unencumber the title. You can as a tradesman or marina owner file a complaint with the county sheriff and they can issue a warrant for the owner. It becomes criminal fraud. It also means if the owner transfers the title they still have the crime to face. That is usually what the people I know do to deadbeat boat owners as a first step.

It generally clears itself up in less than a day or two when the sheriff delivers the warrant.

If you don't file the lien with the USCG there is no lien on the title so the title transfers easily leaving the debtor waiting for the tooth fairy. It might happen that you get the report and it's clean then the marina finds out the deadbeat owner is selling the boat so they file it before you can transfer the title. That would be an additional criminal fraud as well on the purchase agreement.

The BoatHistoryReport carries no assurances of authenticity or completeness.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:59   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Acoron,
Welcome aboard! Good your question was answered. Very informative.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote