Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2010, 23:52   #1

Unhappy Puzzled?

I am very confused now, I had introduced myself here, and I am moved by warmly welcomed! But now I am confused ,because I will graduate in June this year ,and I am a English major, I find a job in a sail maker company, I do not understand anything about sails ,these days I went through many website and forums ,sometimes I came across some difficulties ,such as some special words ,or some sentences (maybe that expressed in traditional way ),my boss is a very kind man ,and his ambitions is very big ,he hope me to become a greater sail designer, now our company is still small, and we wish to enlarge our company(but first we should have a large number of customers)

now I am confused that should I insisted working as a sail maker, and I think it is hard for me to have enough money to buy a boat for sailing, and I even don’t know is sailing really exciting .In this forum there are many experienced sailors and sail makers, I wish to know how do you start sailing, or giving me some advices, should I go on.: confused:
sailmaker-china is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 00:15   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
The best way to understand how to sail is to start with a sailing dinghy. The small size means that it is cheaper. It also means that anyting you do is very quickly evident in the behaviour of the boat - a larger boat reacts more slowly so small changes are not so apparent.

Advice on how to start can really only come from someone who lives in the same country as you, or has a good working knowledge of your country.

In european/US the best way is to find a sailing club and join. Offering yourself as crew will normally mean that someone who needs an additional body will ask you to come along for a race. This could be either a dinghy or a larger boat racing club. I have no idea if that is relevant for you!

reading some of the books on sail trim will definitely help.

Good luck
Old 26-04-2010, 18:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
The best way to understand how to sail is to start with a sailing dinghy. The small size means that it is cheaper. It also means that anyting you do is very quickly evident in the behaviour of the boat - a larger boat reacts more slowly so small changes are not so apparent.

Advice on how to start can really only come from someone who lives in the same country as you, or has a good working knowledge of your country.

In european/US the best way is to find a sailing club and join. Offering yourself as crew will normally mean that someone who needs an additional body will ask you to come along for a race. This could be either a dinghy or a larger boat racing club. I have no idea if that is relevant for you!

reading some of the books on sail trim will definitely help.

Good luck
thanks very much ,you give me more onfidence!
sailmaker-china is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 19:36   #4

Boat: C&C25
I don't know where you are in China.. There are dinghies around Shanghai and up in Wehai there are a bunch of boat builders. You can search them on Alibaba. Also Xiamen has boat builders, (red dragon) and there are many many sailmakers in Guandong and Shanghai.
Jon Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 20:27   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sims View Post
I don't know where you are in China.. There are dinghies around Shanghai and up in Wehai there are a bunch of boat builders. You can search them on Alibaba. Also Xiamen has boat builders, (red dragon) and there are many many sailmakers in Guandong and Shanghai.
Are you working and living in China?
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 20:30   #6

Boat: C&C25
Yes.. Iv'e been here 15 years for my sins.
Jon Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 20:33   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I worked for sixteen years in Saudi Arabia, but I've never been to China. I think I need to give China a visit. I would like to see it first hand. There are more internet users in China than there are people in the USA. I get more hits on my websites out of China than any other country outside of the USA. I think China must be a very interesting and exciting place to live once you learn the rules of living in the parallel universe.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 20:38   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I can suggest a good read. The Art and Science of Sails. A great comprehensive book that describes the evolution of sailmaking from bending battens to cad and xy plotters.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote