Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2010, 16:55   #1

Boat: San Juan 28
Proud New San Juan 28 Owner in Puget Sound !

Hello from Olympia, WA. I've been reading this forum for a couple of years now and thought I'd officially say hello again now that I bought a boat.

I'm 31 years old and have been sailing on a sailing club's boats (mostly a Catalina Capri 22' and a San Juan 23') for a couple of years and absolutely love it. Last year I decided I was ready to buy one of my own.

I had plans a few times to co-purchase a boat with various friends (most regrettably, a beautiful 27' Pacific Seacraft Orion), but they kept waffling when it was time to pony up the cash and commit, so I decided to buy one that I can afford on my own right now without depending on anyone else.

Shopped around for a while and looked at a lot of boats feeling wishy-washy about them, but when I found this San Juan 28 my gut said "BUY!!" so I snatched it up (and now own it free and clear, with no dependency on any bank or friends!).

The PO took amazing care of it, spent thousands refitting and upgrading in 2008, and generally loved the hell out of it. I almost feel guilty wanting to change the name to make it my own!

My first big plans are for next year (after a year of learning and shakedown), a four-month inside passage voyage from Budd Inlet in the South Puget Sound to the Queen Charlotte Islands and back (hopefully). Already have the time off approved and three months of it will be on paid vacation that I've been saving for the last several years.

Thanks everyone for all the great insights and info over the last two years! This forum is fantastic and I hope to be able to contribute more as I become more experienced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m2.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	17911   Click image for larger version

Name:	h.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	17912  

Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:21   #2

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the boat. Even more congrats on owning it outright a rare thing these days.
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:31   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and congratulations!
I think you've picked a good one. I've heard the San Juans made some good boats.
regards,
Old 22-07-2010, 18:48   #4

Boat: Challenger 35 Voluspa
Congrats, I learned to sail on a San Juan 28 many years ago. They are great boats and pretty quick as well. Good luck.

Gary
alagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 06:26   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Congratulations!
Have you visited the
The San Juan 28 Sailing Club

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 01:02   #6

Welcome and hello from Portland. The sailing club, was it called Island Sailing Club? How'd you like it? I just got my basic keel boat through the sailing school at Island Sailing and I'm thinking about joining up. Sounds like you had a good experience with the club.
David Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 17:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cox View Post
Welcome and hello from Portland. The sailing club, was it called Island Sailing Club? How'd you like it? I just got my basic keel boat through the sailing school at Island Sailing and I'm thinking about joining up. Sounds like you had a good experience with the club.
Yeah it was Island Sailing Club.

I thought it was a great club and a fantastic value! For less per month than a slip fee I had access to a whole fleet of boats which are well-maintained by the club. They even keep gas in them. The couple that runs the Olympia location were super-friendly, conscientious and helpful. I learned a lot about sailing from them.

I think I was the club's most active member that year, and even "hogging" the boats sometimes four days a week, I still never had trouble getting one to take out.

I would recommend it 100%. The value is unbeatable and a great way to test that it's not just a romantic fantasy and is actually something you love, before blowing your savings on a boat.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 13:45   #8

Re: Proud New San Juan 28 Owner in Puget Sound !

Arch,

(My second atempt to write to you.) Read your post. Great post!

I own a SJ28 that is moored at Leschi Marina on Lake Washington (Seattle). I've been sailing for years so I am aware of nomenclature, etc. I am refurbishing my SJ28 with the mast, engine and most of the guts at home. Working on the mast. My mast has five internally run halyards that exit the mast through elongated holes (verticle slots) near the base of the mast, 3 on the starboard side and 2 on the port. I need to know or confirm the following. Can you help?
1. My mast has two lines that exit the front edge of the mast (via rollers), one is about three feet down from the masthead fixture and the other is about half way down, also on the leading edge of the mast. I bealieve that the lower line is the spinnaker pole lift. Correct?
2. Any idea what the upper line is for?
3. Can you confirm that the spinnaker halyard runs exterior to the mast up to a swivel block shackled to the very front of the masthead fixture?
4. I believe that the masthead fixture sheaves are used for halyards as follows. Can you confirm?
Port Fwd: Jib #2
Stbd Fwd: Jib #1
Port Aft: Main
Stbd Aft: Not used
5. The original masthead sheaves are sized for wire halyards. Have you replaced these with all synthetic lines? If so, how did you or the PO fix these in the narrow sheaves?
6. How is your boom topping lift run? Does it use the stbd aft sheave of the masthead fitting?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Manganaro
(You can email me at wmanganaro73@gmail.com)
wmanganaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 19:49   #9

Congrats on your SJ 28! I have been sailing the last 2 years on one called Suddenly! The owner bought her new 35 years ago! She's a tippy boat but I love sailing on her! We have done Toliva Shoals the last 2 years! If you want Tom's email for any Q's just ask! Terri
funsailorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 19:13   #10

Re: Proud New San Juan 28 Owner in Puget Sound !

To: Arch Stanton OR ANY SAN JUAN 28 OWNER,

Would you help me identify the halyards and their correct routing on my SJ28? I have attached a diagram of my mast, the top fitting and the slots near the bottom where the halyards come out. All of my labels are only my best guess.

Could you correct the diagram, scan it, and email it back to me?

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SJ28 Halyards and Mast.pdf (258.5 KB, 98 views)

Tags
puget sound, san juan sailboat