Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 20:51   #1

Boat: Triton 24
Preliminary, Preparatory, Pre-Plan Circumnavigation Advice

My girlfriend, my son and I intend to attempt a world circumnavigation in around 5-7 years. We're fairly new to sailing, still learning the ropes, as it were, and will certainly do numerous blue water trips before we try the big one, as well as read many of the books I've seen suggested on this site.

But, in terms of planning, one has to start somewhere, so here I am!

I've been reading this forum for about 2 years now and haven't read any threads (likely due to my inattentiveness than their inexistence) on suggested routes from the east coast of Australia. I was thinking of initially travelling east to the Americas, but in my recent reading about the coconut milk run it appears travelling west across the Pacific is vastly preferable. Is this correct? I also considered sailing up through Japan and then across the island chain linking eastern Russia with Alaska, then down the west coast of Canada/US. For the life of me though I found few accounts of anyone who has done this. It may be because this route is inadvisable/dangerous, I just don’t know.

It looks like taking the western path seems to be the go. Perhaps up to PNG, through Indo/Malaysia and then..? Do circumnavigators usually sail along the Indian coastline, then Oman/Yemin/Red sea when travelling to the Med, or do they island hop across the Indian Ocean? (if so, which islands? The Indian Ocean section in this forum has very few threads)

Apologies for the multiple questions. I guess it could be all summarised as: what route have people taken or can recommend when starting a circumnavigation from the east coast of Australia?
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 21:21   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Welcome Genomic,
Glad to have you posting here, I am certain that someone will have many answers to rival your many questions.
Spencer
Old 12-04-2010, 21:59   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi,
Thems lots of big questions.
Being an active member here will certainly be your best help! And buying Cruising World each month at the Newsagent.
Yes, you can go via Japan, the Alutians and west coast USA then back across the Pacific via the coconut run.
Or, as you have worked out westwards has the wind a bit better for you. We just did Thailand, Oman, Red Sea and are now in the Mediterranean. Others do Darwin, Christmas Island (outside the wire fence!) Cocos Keeling Islands, Madagascar, South Africa, Carribbean then Mediterranean.
Best trick would not be to decide too soon. Just start being active on here. Writing posts means you have to read them more carefully! Read the New Posts and get involved in the discussions.
Aussies find the Pacific exciting, but also we find Fiji all a bit close, and the real exotic locations for us are the Greek Islands, France, Caribbean etc. So plan a trip when you can see it all!
We are heading to Galippoli for ANZAC Day, so hopefully the wind will be nice!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 11:43   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I didn't see where you listed your sailing experience so will just suggest that practicing sailing and safety drills and taking a course or two would be a good thing to do.
kind regards,

Tags
circumnavigation