Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 00:20   #1

Potential live aboard?

I've never sailed before. And the only sail boat Ive ever stepped foot on was a Christopher Columbus recreation vessel that was just docked in the area for a school field trip many years ago.
The thing that sparked my interest in sailing is the dream of being at autonomous. And I feel the only way to completely be free is to be a constant traveler. I don't want to be under the illusion that I own a home only to find out if I don't pay a certain entity a fee every year they will take it from me. So I feel the best way to do this is to live off grid and be able to take my home with me. Not to mention the luxury of traveling the world

I don't currently own a boat. So I am still doing a lot of research. A huge dilemma for me is living in the Midwest where there aren't any blue waters for hundreds of miles. The closest large body of water to me is Lake Michigan which is 3.5 hours away. And I am stuck here another 2 years atleast until I finish my degree.

I look forward to reading all of your helpful information and hope my questions aren't too repetitive.
sovereign1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 03:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
re: Potential live aboard?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sovereign.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:55   #3

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'
re: Potential live aboard?

If u plan to live aboard bigger is better, as long as it's not too big to solo.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 19:47   #4

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko
Re: Potential live aboard?

I am just disagreeing with MVDarlin. with no disrespect at all, just a different perspective. If you want to live simply, go small. Not too small, but size increases cost, hassle, maintenance and hassle nearly exponentially. My wife and I are incredibly happy we went small rather than large. It has made all the difference. As everything on a boat, it has it's pros and cons, but bigger is most definitely not definitionally better, at all!

Dan
rumiko dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:30   #5

We are new also, looking forward to living aboard (winter months only) in the Ft. Myers area. We have been researching also on type (shallow draft needed) length, fees go up dramatically with certain lengths, and over all amenities. Changing from a 30+ years of motor cruising on a river to sailing in the ocean. Should be interesting!
Here We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

To agree with MVDarlin, over time, comfort can be a factor. Comfort comes with size, especially with a woman on board. Since they usually are the one (in my generation) that cooks, laundry, etc. Life is harder on the water. Hauling groceries, laundry, etc., in rain or hot sun or doing without appliances normal available all adds up. Babies can make a difference, too.
And I'm not saying all women. But more men are apt to not notice the discomfort.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:14   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Why not just become a tramp like Alexander Super Tramp, Chris McCandless, did after he graduated and live off the land?

You don't even need a boat or learn to sail...

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo...ris_McCandless

from the book:

Into the Wild: Jon Krakauer: 9780385486804: Amazon.com: Books
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:27   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hmmm, now you have presented quite a challenge. I am thinking maybe you should start with a powerboat on the Mississippi or in the ICW (inland coastal waterway) and chug along exploring to see if you like living on and around water. (I have never boated on the Mississippi so I don't know how realistic that is. I am just trying to imagine a workable scenario for you.) Tow a little sailboat with you and practice wherever you find a calm breezy spot. I know you are headed to self-sufficiency while sailing around the world... there are threads about that here. When you are comfortable on the water and with your skills, you can look for a bigger sailboat and venture out farther.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 15:25   #9

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

So I'm probably gonna catch some grief for this but here goes.

You appear to be somewhat conflicted but probably don't recognize it. On one hand you say your "interest in sailing is the dream of being autonomous. And I (you) feel the only way to completely be free is to be a constant traveler" but on the other hand you say you are "stuck" in a place that has no cruising capability for two years while you earn a degree.

Earning a degree is very admirable but it will most likely put you farther into debt (student loans) and will open only specific degree-related doors to you that will probably not be conducive to the lifestyle you claim to want. I was in your position once and opted for the college thing. Got the degree that got the job I needed to pay off the loans. And in the blink of an eye twenty years go by and I have a wife, kids, mortgages, commitments, dogs, and yes the job that the degree got me.

All I am saying is consider your options. You can always get a degree later. If you're really passionate go work in the boating industry in Florida or the Carribean. Go crew on a boat or work in a marina. There are lots of options that you won't be "stuck" in for years.

Good Luck Man.
Old 08-10-2015, 15:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
So I'm probably gonna catch some grief for this but here goes.

You appear to be somewhat conflicted but probably don't recognize it. On one hand you say your "interest in sailing is the dream of being autonomous. And I (you) feel the only way to completely be free is to be a constant traveler" but on the other hand you say you are "stuck" in a place that has no cruising capability for two years while you earn a degree.

Earning a degree is very admirable but it will most likely put you farther into debt (student loans) and will open only specific degree-related doors to you that will probably not be conducive to the lifestyle you claim to want. I was in your position once and opted for the college thing. Got the degree that got the job I needed to pay off the loans. And in the blink of an eye twenty years go by and I have a wife, kids, mortgages, commitments, dogs, and yes the job that the degree got me.

All I am saying is consider your options. You can always get a degree later. If you're really passionate go work in the boating industry in Florida or the Carribean. Go crew on a boat or work in a marina. There are lots of options that you won't be "stuck" in for years.

Good Luck Man.
You are talking to him like he is 50 plus and will understand............

He may not be able to deal with "go crew on a boat or work at a marina" because it may not be the cool thing to do. (And) If he is a hyper intelligent kinda guy, it may get to be quite boring.

You are old and set in your ways.............. like me.

It's so much easier to go your own way when you get older especially if you are an independent type person and even more so if you can handle being alone.

He is just looking ahead and seeing the future of home loans, car payments, health insurance, Christmas presents, holidays with the in-laws................ Okay, that's it I'm going to go get on my boat and sail away.

(but wait) I saw the movie The Martian last weekend, and it was awesome. He may want to see that rather than float around out at sea trying to keep his old boat afloat even though the Moon, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter are all clearly visible in the morning sky just before the Sun rises all lined up in a row at this time easily seen near latitude 36 / longitude 76 and would be totally clear for a guy on a boat anchored far away from the city lights.

What if after seeing the movie he's like, I need to drop by Barnes and Noble and buy the book. And what if I miss the next cool thing that comes along while I'm sailing along bored out of my mind holding a rope (sheet) and pulling on it every time that overweight guy driving the boat says pull?
Old 08-10-2015, 16:00   #11

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You are talking to him like he is 50 plus and will understand............

He may not be able to deal with "go crew on a boat or work at a marina" because it may not be the cool thing to do.

You are old and set in your ways..............

like me.

It's so much easier to go your on way when you get older especially if you are an independent type person and even more so if you can handle being alone.
Points well taken. Im certainly not trying to be condescending or the Grand Poobah of Knowledge or anything like that. Just heard the story and it struck a "been-there-done-that" nerve. Thought I'd share my story.
Old 08-10-2015, 16:23   #12

Quote:
Points well taken. Im certainly not trying to be condescending or the Grand Poobah of Knowledge or anything like that. Just heard the story and it struck a "been-there-done-that" nerve. Thought I'd share my story.
Hopefully you understood none of my above points were directed at you. I was just thinking out loud about a kid with 2 years of college left etc

Wow, what if we could go through those years again!
Old 08-10-2015, 17:02   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Finish your degree, sail in the summer and worry about property taxes etc later. Avoid debt. A degree is not confining, it is liberating.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 20:56   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Now I am an old fart and I am with you on this. As it turns out that IS what I did. I had 2 more years and I dropped out to buy a boat go sailing and work in construction. Everyday I came home to the boat and took it out for the evening and I'd sail to the local islands on the weekends. I sailed my own boat solo or with with friends, I crewed on others' boats, I crewed on a big delivery, I met lots of people with all kinds of boats, we sat around and drank and told sailing stories...it was heaven. 6 years later I was ready to go back and finish a DIFFERENT degree and go on to a career I was more fired up about, teaching. My parents were very uncomfortable with my choice but for me it turned out great. If going to college and finishing your degree is what you LOVE to do, then stick with it. If the ocean is where you want to be, go there and make your life where you love to be, doing what you love, meeting people who share your passions. Whatever your own calling is, you won't find it following someone else's dream for you. For me I think it is all about the ocean. The boats, the sailing, the technology, the terminology.. they are just the portal to living and playing on the ocean.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote