Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2011, 17:09   #1

Please Tell Me these Boats Aren't Worth the Bother . . .

Oh dear, whatever shall I do

I have lead a full life. Joined the Army as a young man, served in the middle east, learned a trade (mechanics,though gave that up on leaving). Visited many countries of the world ( as a tourist). Married, raised a fine family, now with grandchildren. Bought and sold many houses, migrated from my country of birth (England), bought and sold many more houses, even lived for 6 months on a motor launch on the canals in France. Sound like a real landlubber eh? Trouble is, I'm not!

I have always had the "wunderlust". Wherever I have been around the world I am always found down by the harbour, trying to decide which one I would like to have the most when I eventually "make the move"

I read and have read anything nautical, from factual accounts to adventure to "how to" and of course sailing forums. It never leaves me, and never has.
I suppose I should get to some kind of point here. Just as some people look at a Ferrari and go all gooey. I catch my breath every time I see a Formosa......I can't help it! I just WANT ONE!
The fact that my sailing ability is limited (to say the least) doesn't seem to matter.......I'll just sit on it if I have to, though sailing it would be nice.

I am 61 and about in as good health as the next 61yr old, but I'm starting to get the feeling that if I don't do something about it I may have left it too late. My wife and I have decided it's our time to adventure and so will be selling up in the new year, so funds will be available, plus we both get a small income each month. We've had all the material things (swimming pools etc) and have no need of them now.

My dilemma?
Would somebody please tell me that these Formosa's are just not worth it?
That they only look good, but really are just rotting hulks, awful to sail, can't get in anywhere and cost a fortune to maintain? And I am much better buying a river cruiser and a 4wd in the car park!

Did anyone else feel like me?

By the way, this is my first post. Thanks to all who have posted before, it's been great reading!
Finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:17   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Please tell me these boats are not worth the bother!

formosas dont have a deal breaker as the stuff wrong can be fairly easily fixed and easily accessed except the water tanks are hard to get at to change out. i own o0ne and love her more each timer i sail her. leaky teaky yacht club group in yahoo groups can give even more reasons to nopt buy one also.... used to be named formosa owners group.... welcome and have fuin.. there are some beauties for sale cheap at present--one in long beach ,. ca for 30 k,usd, and some others.... happy hunting.

so what if they are known for leaky decks--is fixable. so what they dont point-- they are NOT SUPPOSED TO ...LOL
they aint racers, they are cruisers. excellent ones, at that.

btw, welcome. and your land stuff aint gonna be able to get ye to many placed the formosa can.....2 inch thick hull isnt anyhting to scoff at.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:18   #3

Boat: Ackerman Newporter 40LOD, 50LOA
Paul Carvel said "Who is staring out to sea is already sailing a little."

You're already trapped. Stop fighting.
Old 14-10-2011, 17:23   #4

Re: Please tell me these boats are not worth the bother!

It's going to depend on the boat. I believe some later Formosas had fibreglass deck/cabins. As you've likely read, the older ones have a lot of asian plywood covered with glass. Many of these are rotten. If someone has redone it already cool! My vote is if not, you're too old (like me) and you need to use the time you have. Ask yourself what your plan is... Is the Bahamas and Carribean enough? If so, you can do it in a nice clean Bene or Catalina requiring little work etc. I love the Formosa, CT etc Garden boats, but one has to be realistic also. Many boat dreams end due to underestimating how well passion will overcome boat work....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:30   #5

Re: Please Tell Me these Boats Aren't Worth the Bother . . .

they are sooo awesome charging thru the seas---beautiful. did i say i got 8+ kts boat speed out of mine in sudden 60+ kt winds with only mizzen, reefed, and jib, reefed, in use?????? dang they sail crappy. would not have done that in any other kind of boat-- would have not been fun, whereas i had a ball-- dont do that in a catahuntebenelina.....

as the fella sed--you got your head on the block, here comes the guillotine--yer hooked ..... might as well join me in pair a dice!!!!! nothing like a garden ketch in which to do this.
Old 14-10-2011, 17:40   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:42   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Start your engine...

Sounds like you're not planning on too big an adventure, so why not look at the overall seaworthiness but concentrate on the engine/transmission/fuel system/propeller.

Do find an experienced and reputable surveyor.

Do read up on autopilots and anchors.

Don't worry about sailing. Just start the engine and motor. Fix 'er up as time and money permits.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:44   #8

btw--welcome.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:16   #9

Boat: 1976 Hudson Force 50

You should check out the formosa, Hudson Force web site, force50.org. We have owned a WG designed Force 50 for 5 years and yes they are beautiful, and yes they are alot of work...Gee sounds like my wife... LOL but we have not seen another boat even at the boat shows that we like better... Welcome aboard....

Besides it's only a boat, what could go wrong?
yacht_planb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 18:29   #10

@ Zeehag.. What is the difference between the Formosa Sea Tiger and the Yankee Clipper? Thanks
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 20:19   #11

Hey friends, thanks for the warm welcome and thoughtful reply's. In truth I have read many posts on this forum and always enjoy the banter and information shared and now having had a post replied to i reall yfeel I belong to the club. Many thanks.

I sit and write with a smile on my face happy in the knowledge others have felt the same about these wonderful boats. I agree also that other boats would suit my purpose and pragmatism has its place, but as has been sugested......I thik I'm hooked.

I might invite the wrath of many a sailor here, but as I'm starting to feel at home I'll chance a question.

In all seriousness (is that a word?) at 61 is a Formosa too much of a boat? As mentioned my sailing ability is limited.......I'm quite fit though..........I think.

Great to be here. Looking forward to many a chat.
Finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 20:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrichter View Post
@ Zeehag.. What is the difference between the Formosa Sea Tiger and the Yankee Clipper? Thanks
sea tiger looks like a hardin sea wolfe. the yankee clipper has a flat forward coach house.
mine is a yankee clipper.
Old 14-10-2011, 21:06   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
Hey friends, thanks for the warm welcome and thoughtful reply's. In truth I have read many posts on this forum and always enjoy the banter and information shared and now having had a post replied to i reall yfeel I belong to the club. Many thanks.

I sit and write with a smile on my face happy in the knowledge others have felt the same about these wonderful boats. I agree also that other boats would suit my purpose and pragmatism has its place, but as has been sugested......I thik I'm hooked.

I might invite the wrath of many a sailor here, but as I'm starting to feel at home I'll chance a question.

In all seriousness (is that a word?) at 61 is a Formosa too much of a boat? As mentioned my sailing ability is limited.......I'm quite fit though..........I think.

Great to be here. Looking forward to many a chat.
If you can dream it ,you can do it...never to old,but act now for we no not what another day may bring..hopeful that it will bring the boat you want..go for it ...right now..tis good advice..you have a good eye for pretty boats..are they prone to certain problems? yes..but all things man made are,so find what you want and dont worry ...it all comes out in the wash..fair winds and far places to ya ...good luck and welcome to your new life...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 16:50   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
It sounds like you've lived a couple of lives already and its time for another. If you like the Formosa you'll like the Mariner 40. The Mariner 35 in the photo on my profile is my last old wood boat. The 36 and 40s are fiberglass hulls.
kind regards,
Old 04-11-2011, 19:23   #15

some mariner 40s are fg hulls--many are woodies. look carefully.i like the layout of the interior of the formosa better than the mariner interior-- my mast isnt in midddle of my largest bed, as it is in vee berth of mariner 40.