Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 13:49   #1

Boat: 44' Luke Powell Pilot Cutter
Planning to sail Newfoundland 2018

Hello,
I am new to the forum and joined to get knowledge and advice from other people who have sailed to and around Newfoundland. We bought our wooden pilot cutter in England last year and because of time constraints had it shipped to Halifax, NS and sailed her home to Maine last September. We have sailed for a number of years here in Maine with smaller wooden sailboats and looked for the opportunity to have one that was built for water sailing">blue water sailing. We have been working extensively to have her ship shape for a 6 week trip to Newfoundland next summer. We keep her in Blue Hill Harbor for the sailing season and winter her at Front Street Shipyard in Belfast (in the water). Any forum members coming to cruise this part of the coast of Maine, please look us up! Tara & Craige
2Denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 14:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Planning to sail Newfoundland 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Denali View Post
Hello,
I am new to the forum and joined to get knowledge and advice from other people who have sailed to and around Newfoundland. We bought our wooden pilot cutter in England last year and because of time constraints had it shipped to Halifax, NS and sailed her home to Maine last September. We have sailed for a number of years here in Maine with smaller wooden sailboats and looked for the opportunity to have one that was built for blue water sailing. We have been working extensively to have her ship shape for a 6 week trip to Newfoundland next summer. We keep her in Blue Hill Harbor for the sailing season and winter her at Front Street Shipyard in Belfast (in the water). Any forum members coming to cruise this part of the coast of Maine, please look us up! Tara & Craige

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Tara and Craige.

I love the Luke Powell boats! Lucky you! I would love to see your boat in the future.

A couple of months ago I sailed from Norfolk VA to Halifax Nova Scotia, and then from there sailed to Newfoundland, and spent 3 weeks cruising there. I loved it!

I am going to write a post or new thread about the experience, with many tips for future cruisers going there. I am now editing photos from my Voyage, and will include some of those too. Not quite ready yet, but will post soon.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 14:41   #3

Boat: Custom 55

It's glorious up there. Enjoy. Beautiful, rugged, remote, and very friendly. We think it's one of the finest places to cruise we've ever found.

It's also windy, foggy and cold. But, that does tend to keep the crowds away. We were anchored up one fjord a couple of summers ago-this is an anchorage that would have 300 boats in it in the Caribbean-and we had it all to ourselves. Silent, and just stunning.

One day, another sailboat anchored nearby. Her owner rowed over with some scallops and home made jam. These were a gift to apologize for disturbing our solitude. Pretty awesome.

Anyway, enjoy. You'll want a cabin heater.

TJ
Old 06-10-2017, 14:49   #4

Look forward to seeing your pictures and post about your time there. C&T
Old 06-10-2017, 14:53   #5

I can understand the need for heat! We are still sailing here and nights aboard can drop into the 30's (F) right now. Part of my preparing is getting my whispergen generator and heat source in tip top shape for the trip.
Old 06-10-2017, 15:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Hi there,

I strongly recommend the three big bays on the north shore--less foggy, super-good cruising. The blog in the link below has many postings of out trip to NL a few summers ago. Best cruising ever!
Old 06-10-2017, 16:02   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Feel free to join this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/

Len
Old 07-10-2017, 09:44   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

You can visit my site liveaboard.sv-moonshadow.com for photos and info of our year and a half on the southwest shore of Newfoundland. Or PM me. We loved our time there, it was the highlight of our lives!
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:49   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tara & Craige.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newfoundland, sail