Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2016, 21:13   #1

Pilot, family man, looking for advice on boats, anchorages.

Hey y'all.

I'm finishing up school to get all necessary rotary wing certifications to get a job when I'm out. I should be done in about a year. I'm in central Oregon now, and I would like to stay in the Pacific Northwest, but am open to good sailing communities and zones, i.e. Florida, maybe even Texas coast.

I've done some crewing and sailing on a Hobie 16, along with a Capri 25 in a few regattas and races on Lake Travis, Austin, and am just trying to get a feel for what I want, and where the good spots to live, work, and sail might be. I'm also looking for advice on good boats to take families sailing in. I have two daughters, currently 1 & 3; I expect 3-5 by the time we're ready to purchase. We're in a tiny house now, so housing is easily available, usually cheaper at RV parks than otherwise available.

I'm open to mono or multi-hulls, but leaning towards multis. Please don't feel the need to lecture the merits of which is better, I can sail either and want to know what people like that have actually sailed on their pick with family and enjoy it. I think if I could find a reasonable trimaran, I'd love it (I see Carisa sitting in Ft. Lauderdale- why hasn't anyone bought her?). I've read Chris White's book, along with several other books on both cat and monohull sailing, cruising prep, etc. I also wouldn't mind a Prout Snow Goose 37, bigger isn't necessarily better for us.

I know there are families out there sailing, and I'd love to hear your advice about boats and kids. Also, any pilots with good job market advice, I haven't quite solidified my job goals yet. My wife is a dietitian, so we should be able to find work anywhere. Our goals are to take the girls out on some easy day trips initially, and maybe do some month cruises here and there until we are comfortable enough for some longer cruises, maybe do some beach tours via helicopter for cash with remote dietary consulting, and continue sailing. What do y'all think? I've come here reading random posts for years, but finally feel like I'm getting closer to my goals. I'll be sure to update any questions I might have. Thanks.
steveth3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 22:28   #2

Boat: Rawson 30 PH
Re: Pilot, family man, looking for advice on boats, anchorages.

Front page of the paper today was the extreme shortage of pilots in Alaska. Most don't last 4 years here.
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 22:30   #3

I think it was ADN, but could have been the Peninsula Clarion
Old 31-12-2016, 01:08   #4

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
Front page of the paper today was the extreme shortage of pilots in Alaska. Most don't last 4 years here.
WHY is that? Genuine question.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 01:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Lotsa reasons... Mainly harsh environment. Some people can't handle -20f, or 6 months of winter. Some people can't handle 3hrs of daylight. Some people can't handle not having convenience nearby. Or some combination.

Can be really frustrating working a 9-5. Drive to work in the dark, drive home in the dark, go to lunch in the overcast. Can be dismal. But when the clouds break... Oh man... Its pretty.

I do like working till 2am in my yard during the summer though...
Old 31-12-2016, 01:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Also, many will even hire you without a licence, with a contract. This is to keep you from jumping ship to the larger airlines, which is a lot easier once you have a bunch of hrs flying commercially.

Back to the OP: many schedules are 2weeks on 2 off, with vouchers for wherever they or thier partners fly. I'm pretty sure you could live in Seattle.
Old 31-12-2016, 02:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
Also, many will even hire you without a licence, with a contract. This is to keep you from jumping ship to the larger airlines, which is a lot easier once you have a bunch of hrs flying commercially.

Back to the OP: many schedules are 2weeks on 2 off, with vouchers for wherever they or thier partners fly. I'm pretty sure you could live in Seattle.
So I've heard. Alot of oil companies hire for oil and gas exploration there. I've heard pay is decent too. Weather turns nasty rather quick, and clouds can make it difficult to discern actual altitude over glaciers. An instructor told us TEMSCO lost three helicopters the same day. Everyone walked away after a night on the glacier, but the possibility of not is a chance. However, pilot in command has final authority; minimize bad decisions and don't go into the same conditions that one, then two helicopters went down in to try to get the crew out early.

How is Seattle as a home port? How is the availability of slips? I'm thinking I might even be able to find land on the cheap(er) a little further out and set up a nice base of operations. I've still probably got a few years before I have enough hours to get on the turbine helicopters flown in AK though. I'll definitely keep it in mind, even if I can find a second in command job.
Old 31-12-2016, 08:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve.
Thanks. I appreciate all of the insight this forum has given me over the years and hope to someday repay it.
Old 31-12-2016, 09:43   #10

Great mods here! Toph, job isn't top priority for me. Getting my girls on the water is. I can start my own tour company if I need to, flying relatively economical R44s, try to hook up a cruise line contract, even maybe get a few students. I'm willing to bet I can find some remote port to accomplish this end too. Toph, are you retired, solo sailing, what? I'd love to hear how you make it work, or that WO flying Apaches for that matter.

But therein lies the importance of my first paragraph: I know there are quite a few pilots sailing out there, and you have relevant advice to give too. If I hadn't put in that first paragraph, you wouldn't have responded, Toph, so thanks for your advice as well. I've heard FL is popular with boat photography and tours as well, but drones are going to heavily eat into that market. No matter, I'm going to get in on that too. If you're a fixed wing pilot, I can see where you take the job you can.
Old 31-12-2016, 09:57   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, boat part, what you can afford will drive what you get. My opinion is you can get more boat for less money with a Mono than a Multi. Mostly because there are a great many of them, and a great many older boats.

Now making a living flying helicopters. Good luck, I don't see how you can do that. Reason is for example you would be competing with me and others like me, that have thousands of hours of multi turbine time, courtesy of a rich Uncle and I have held my A&P and IA for more than ten years. I'm not uncommon.
It's the age old can't get a job without experience and can't get experience without a job catch 22.

I don't make my living flying helicopters, although I would have liked to, I fly fixed wing and have an unusual job, although back up plan was to fall back on my A&P/ IA tickets.
Actually I did fly for the Army Test Activity for a year at Ft Rucker as a contract Test Pilot, but left that job.

I wish you the best, but be prepared to take any kind of job you can get to build hours, maybe even AG flying an OH-58. You can build time pretty quick that way, but it's tough to break into.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 09:58   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Pilot, family man, looking for advice on boats, anchorages.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you afford to get your rotary wing ticket?
Boat wise, a Morgan Out Island 41 or similar boat would be tough to beat, but be careful with any boat purchase, many of that age are derelicts, very few real gems, and you have to be able to tell the difference.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 10:31   #13

Right, GI Bill. I've heard the 58s don't have long, and I'd rather use connections here to get work than go back in. The oil industry is predicted to make a comeback pretty soon, which will definitely help with available jobs. I might be able to swing an instructor job here for a few years to build hours. I figured most high time pilots would be pursuing more lucrative careers, such as EMS or heavy lift over the tour industry. If I need more cash, I can always go for piloting Predators with General Atomics for a few years. Or my own business. Like I said, I'm not too worried on the job end. I'm definitely going to have a small drone business wherever I go for supplemental cash.

Valid points on boats. Old multis are becoming alot less expensive as well, with room for kids. Whatever we buy, it'll definitely have a survey prior to buying. Thanks for the info, and cheers!
Old 01-01-2017, 21:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how did you afford to get your rotary wing ticket?
Boat wise, a Morgan Out Island 41 or similar boat would be tough to beat, but be careful with any boat purchase, many of that age are derelicts, very few real gems, and you have to be able to tell the difference.
I like the Out Island layouts, and the bunk set up in the bow. It seems highly efficient for a family. I'll definitely keep them in mind. It's been awhile since I've done research on monos, thanks again.
Old 22-02-2019, 20:12   #15

Updates! So I've purchased 2.3 acres with a big 4-3 house on it, and have been living in my 32x8.5' gooseneck, while renting rooms out, paying most of the mortgage. City didn't like us living in a tiny house, and in the year we've been here, the property has been rezoned from low density to standard, and the appraisal has shot up from $400K to $760K. We're seriously discussing selling to a developer, buying a sub $200K house on the coast, and Juniper 2. I'm working 4 10s currently, and love my job, so I will probably still commute back and forth on the weekends, while living in the tiny house during the week in a different, nearby town at a friend's place. No mortgage or boat payment, and time off to sail in the summer! We're getting closer!

Tags
anchorages, Boats, family, Family sailing, work