Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 13:57   #1

Boat: Lagoon 2007 440
Phx to SD Sailor

Hello Sailors,
I am new to sailing and have taken the ASA 101 and 103. My extent of sailing boats is up to the Catalina 32' from Harbor Sailboats in San Diego Harbor and a few miles into the ocean for 2-3 hours, besides being in a black tube underwater for 4years for Uncle Sam. I have approx 40 hours of sailing time above the surface. ASA 105 and ASA 104 are next on my priorities and sailing to Mission Bay for some experience. I have been into powersports (Rinker 232 skiing, motocross, fast cars, etc…) and now I'm ready to slow down and enjoy the scenery. Sailing to Catalina Island in 2016 is my goal!
V/R
William from Phoenix
William Mayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 14:30   #2

Re: Phx to SD Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mayes View Post
Hello Sailors,
I am new to sailing and have taken the ASA 101 and 103. My extent of sailing boats is up to the Catalina 32' from Harbor Sailboats in San Diego Harbor and a few miles into the ocean for 2-3 hours, besides being in a black tube underwater for 4years for Uncle Sam. I have approx 40 hours of sailing time above the surface. ASA 105 and ASA 104 are next on my priorities and sailing to Mission Bay for some experience. I have been into powersports (Rinker 232 skiing, motocross, fast cars, etc…) and now I'm ready to slow down and enjoy the scenery. Sailing to Catalina Island in 2016 is my goal!
V/R
William from Phoenix
A worthy goal it is! You will probably find that it is a motor up to Catalina, and downwind all the way back. There are other clubs further up the coast that are a bit closer, and those around San Pedro should give you a better angle both ways. It's been years since I rented a club boat, but I always liked Channel Islands harbor for its proximity to Santa Cruz island. That's the one you really want to explore.

If you are in San Diego over labor day weekend, look for me! http://sdmaritime.org/visit/public-e...tival-of-sail/

Fair winds!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 15:15   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Although Harbor Sailboats only goes to Mission Bay, many of the San Diego clubs go to Catalina for the cruising course, so you could still make it out there in 2015! I am told September is a great month and if we can get everything put back together, we might still make it this year, ourselves.

As the previous poster said, you could also look into clubs in Oceanside or Dana Point, to start out a bit closer.

Or, you could come over and help us install our new toe rails and get a feel for what it is really like to own your own boat
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 03:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, William.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 10:52   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome This sounds like a great goal, and certainly much more fun than a black tube under water. Be sure to post pictures when you go!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 18:28   #6

Well, I made it ASA 105 complete; current and tide charts kicked my butt. Also, I just completed my ASA104 with a three day sail from Newport Beach to Catalina. Catalina is a lovely island and Isthmus Harbor was relaxing. We didn't get a lot of sailing due to calm winds but living in board for three days was good. Potable water ran out on the last day in Catalina and we were only allowed to load 12 gallons due to water drought restrictions in Catalina. I must learn to be more vigilant with water usage. I will probably take a break for a while due to work load this time of season and rebuild hobby funds. Anyone have any experiences in volunteering to be a part of a crew and recommendations on where to find opportunities?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 30-09-2015, 19:15   #7

There is a crew connection forum right here on cruisers forum

Crew Positions: Wanted & Available - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:23   #8

Abu Dhabi Sailor now!

Well, Many changes since last post.
I sailed to Catalina from San Diego in 2017. We left SD around 1530 and I had the helm from 0300-0700 with a full moon upon our arrival in Avalon. It was a beautiful night aboard my friend’s, Randy and Amanda, 40 ft. Island Packet named Dos Amantes. We spent the week on Catalina and then motored most of the way back to SD due to no wind. I almost bought a monohull in SD in Sept of 2017 but I got a job offer in the UAE. So here I am working at Barakah Nuclear Plant in Abu Dhabi and my wife and I bought at 2007 440 Lagoon!!!!!!! Yes, a Cat. We searched all over the gulf for a monohull but due to limited supplies we jumped to a live-aboard cat in the Emirates Palace Marina in Abu Dhabi. It has a 17.5 KW Onan Generator to support the 5 AC units if needed at sea. Her name is Lucy. My goal is to get her and me ready so in four or five years I can sail it back to San Diego; stopping in most countries along the way. If I can afford it we may take it to the Med for a while prior to leaving the area. Woot Woot! All I can remember is a sailor (accompanied by his wife and three teenage boys) that helped me out at Marina Del Ray that was on a pit stop from the last three years of sailing from New Zealand. I think he was on a 52 foot Catamaran. He had asked me what was my goals for sailing and I threw a couple ideas in the air with really no good plans and to make a long story short he just looked at me and said, “You just got to go”. I say those words quite often and he left an impression on me; “I just gotta go!” Let the adventure begin.
Attached Files
Old 12-07-2018, 10:34   #9

Congratulations! Your progress over the past few years reminds me a lot of my own... from ASA classes, to bigger boats and bigger trips. Cheers mate
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Congratulations! Your progress over the past few years reminds me a lot of my own... from ASA classes, to bigger boats and bigger trips. Cheers mate
I just gotta go. Fantastic. What progress has been made! Keep planning your moves and working your plan. Feel like I m always going to be sailing someone else s boat, making the occasional trip to Avalon or down to Ensenada. Save save, learn learn learn. Your thread and progress are inspiring.
Delta Nick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail