Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 18:54   #1

Permission to come aboard

I have been reading this an other forums over the past year and finally decided to become an active member. Next year I turn 50 and so I've finally gotten serious about retirement. I've worked for over 25 years in the computer field and the 60-80 hour weeks are finally catching up to me. Add to that an ex-wife and 8 kids and you can see why I'm ready to cast-off and sail into the sunset.

I'm looking at trimarans in the 35-45 foot range. Any suggestions? I've done mostly lake sailing in small 22-32 foot O'days. But a 4 year stint in the Navy (1975-79) hooked me on the ocean.
daddy_stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 19:08   #2
Kai Nui

Welcome aboard. If you peruse the Multiull section, I am sure you will find some answers to your questions.
Old 10-06-2006, 21:23   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I don't know much about multi-hulls, but welcome aboard. I was Canadian Navy at one point which got me hooked on all the electronic goodies available to recreational boaters today.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 23:32   #4

Welcome aboard cruisersforum, daddy stew.

I'm ex US Navy. I read on another thread that you mentioned you were in the Navy.

I'm a Navy airedale. So you were a snipe, eh!!

Also I don't know enough about multihulls. But there are plenty of them in this forum. So if ya have any mulithull questions for them. I'm very sure they have the answers. Or could point you to them.
Anyways welcome aboard.:cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:18   #5

Navy Airdale

We did anti-submarine warfare and so we had a chopper on board. Part of my duties were fuel testing (JP-5) and re-fueling of the chopper.
Old 11-06-2006, 13:40   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Stew,
I did a few years in the Navy too, '62 to '91. Any chance you were on Cruisers/Destroyers?
I've done some interisland stuff on Cross and Piver tris but am a tried and true mono huller. Good luck on your boat search. There are many out there.
This is a great forum. I've found out some great information and all my questions are met with friendly helpful replies.
Regards, --JohnL--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 17:45   #7

Stew.

I was a ABH. I was a aircraft director. Started out towing the aircraft with tow tractors around on the aircraft carriers decks.

Started out with a blue shirt. Then went to red. And finally yellow the highest you can go.

This is what my rate/job insignia looks like.

The wings represent aviation. And the crossed anchors represent boatswains mate. So I was a "Aviation Boatswains Mate Handling". ABH
Attached Images

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-06-2006, 17:53   #8

Here's what the guys on deck wore. I wore every color.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	031227-N-9742R-002- Flight Deck Shirts USS Enterprise (CVN 65).jpg
Views:	340
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	150  

Old 11-06-2006, 20:08   #9

I was on the USS Blakely FF-1072, a converted destroyer excort. They took a DE slapped a Helo hanger on it and renamed it a Fast Frigate. Recycling at its best. We made (3) med cruises, about (8) carribean cruises and finally got out in the middle of a westpac.

Worst time was when we hit a hurricane of the cost of Rhode Island. We had to strap ourselves into our bunks when not on watch.
Old 11-06-2006, 20:54   #10

Yeah.

I heard about the Navy converting those type of ships. I have been on (4) Med cruises. And (1) Carribean cruise. And (6) Gulf of Mexico cruises. And was stationed down around Florida for my shore duty.

I have been in (2) hurricanes. And I never had to strap myself to my bunk at night. But I had heard about the crews on them FF's & DE's having to strap themselves in.

Old 12-06-2006, 20:45   #11

We were out to sea 9-10 months out of every year. I think our Cap'n was trying to get away from his wife and kids and we were the excuse.

For a bunch of young kids who wanted to see the world, it was great. The lifers on the hand weren't to happy. I celebrated (3) birthdays and (2) Christmas's out at sea. It took me a while, after I got out, to be able to sleep in a bed that wasn't rocking.
Old 13-06-2006, 09:40   #12

Yeah.

Well, life aboard those tin cans can be differant. Than aboard a aircraft carrier.

Looks like you spent more time at sea than I did during my first four years in the Navy!!

Maybe the Captain was trying to get away for his wife? Or maybe he was trying to keep up with all his secret girlfriends at all those foreign ports.

Old 13-06-2006, 15:14   #13

I feel sorry for all you swabbies. I could sometime look down and see the little toys on the water. I slep in a bed with real sheet, air conditioning, and steak dinners at night. To bad we can't all be in the Air Force. Well it's time to head out to the golf course. I wonder when the government will authorize money for the runway?
Old 13-06-2006, 18:34   #14

Wukong.

Aircraft sailors like me always had air conditioning and heating. Showers. Steak dinners. A bed with sheets.

It was like working and living in civilian life.

My ship had a runway and massive hangers on board. They also had stores. And barber shops. We even had TV stations and radio stations onboard our carriers.

We had it good!!:cubalibre

Makes me regret leaving the Navy.

Old 13-06-2006, 21:39   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Wukong,
Thanks for coming in for air strikes when we gave you coordinates on VC. I was on one of those little River Boats in the Delta for awhile and it really was nice to hear the sound of jet engines coming in.
Good to know there are some "Zoomies" around who sail.
Regards, --John--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote