Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-07-2016, 04:02   #1

Palmer Johnson 36 Standfast

Hi all! I am a new owner of the Thrasher, a PJ36. I am in the process of updating her even to the point of installing her first electric bilge pump!!!

Sent from my SM-S902L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 19-07-2016, 07:44   #2
Guy
cruiser

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Palmer Johnson 36 Standfast

Is that the PJ36 (Mass)? Cool boat.

Old 19-07-2016, 14:55   #3

It is currently in northern MI on Lake Huron...jim

Old 19-07-2016, 15:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

arizonaames,

Hi, there, and welcome aboard to you and your boat. We sailed a PJ36 from America through to Australia, where we sold her. Did on the order of 78,000 miles on her, and 18 yrs. Hopefully, your new-to-you one will do the same for you.

Incidentally, it is very much worthwhile to remove the ceilings outboard of the pilot berths and have a look at the chainplates. Only the deck protrusion is stainless, the rest is mild steel, and may or may not need to be replaced. The mast step is also mild steel.

Ann
Old 19-07-2016, 15:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

G'Day Jim, and welcome to CF.

Ann and I owned the first Insatiable, Standfast 36, hull 109 for 18 years. Everyone told us she was totally unsuited as a cruising platform. We left from San Francisco in 1986, and eventually sold her in Australia in 2004, having lived aboard for 17 years and cruised for 86,400 miles, mostly through the South Pacific and Mexico. We thought the world of that boat!

So, you have what can be a great boat. Getting old now, but good bones, and a good performer at sea. If we can be of help, we are willing to try... but if you have questions, try to make them fairly specific rather than the "tell me everything" variety that folks often post here.

Jim
Old 19-07-2016, 15:51   #6
Guy
cruiser

Do we know if it is the Swan PJ36 or the Mass PJ36?
Old 19-07-2016, 17:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Guy, good point. His avatar doesn't have any info. Ours was a Franz Maas design.

Ann
Old 19-07-2016, 17:27   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Congratulations, you are now an honorary member of the Plastic Classics group! You are now in the running for the "don't make a mess in the mess" oven mitt and the "kiss the skipper" lobster bib! (still working on the benefits part of group membership)
Got a plastic classic?
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 17:37   #9
Guy
cruiser

[QUOTE=Ann T. Cate;2170107] Ours was a Franz Maas design.

I looked at the PJ36 (Mass) Sarah several times. I liked so much about how it was set up. I think the owners had just returned from going around the world. It was for sale in Napa.
Old 19-07-2016, 17:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Guy;2170118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ours was a Franz Maas design.

You guy's mentioned that. I looked at the PJ36 (Mass) Sarah several times. I liked so much about how it was set up. I think the owners had just returned from
going around the world. It was for sale in Napa.
The OP said it was a Standfast 36, and that refers specifically to the Mass design. IIRC, the other PJ36 was a Swan (S&S) built under license by PJ. They also built a 43 foot S&S design Swan for a while.

We met Sarah in Noumea in 1999. IIRC (again) it was slightly different than ours, with a deeper (8ft+) keel and a somewhat different layout below. The Standfast was never a true production boat in that they did build twenty hulls (plus a prototype), but there were significant differences between individual builds.

When we bought ours in 1984, I had some conversations with personnel at PJ who had worked on the project. They had built the Standfast 40 a couple of years earlier, and it was a great success racing as a two-tonner. The 36 was a follow on design in the one-ton class, but it was slow to reach production. I recall being told that they introduced it at the boat show in Chicago... the same week that Doug Peterson took Ganberre (sp?) to the world one-tons and blew everyone's doors off. His design was about half the displacement of the Standfast and rated the same. As the chap said, "the handwriting was on t he wall", and the 36 was never competitive in serious racing. Made a hell of a nice fast cruiser, though!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-07-2016, 18:02   #11

Thank you, Jim and Ann. I just brought her up from Bay City, MI to Augres and through large wakes, she did not rock or move offcourse....jim

Old 17-10-2016, 17:25   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to thalassobiote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
arizonaames,

Hi, there, and welcome aboard to you and your boat. We sailed a PJ36 from America through to Australia, where we sold her. Did on the order of 78,000 miles on her, and 18 yrs. Hopefully, your new-to-you one will do the same for you.

Incidentally, it is very much worthwhile to remove the ceilings outboard of the pilot berths and have a look at the chainplates. Only the deck protrusion is stainless, the rest is mild steel, and may or may not need to be replaced. The mast step is also mild steel.

Ann
Hello Ann,
it is quite funny having found this reply of yours today... I am just back from my third visit on a Standfast 36 laying on dry here in Central Italy. I am a pro skipper, looking for a small offshore cruiser for my own pleasure (after too much time sailing for others). I recently fall in love with this design...
the 36 is not so much roomy for a 36... she is not probably so much fast... but don't ask me why I love her proportions, the solid look. The building quality.

So what is funny about your reply?
Well, just have a look at my picture. I visited this boat for the third time as I said being very advanced on the process of buying. And this is the surprise I had today: rotten chainplates.
I am now in the dilemma if asking for a price reduction or giving up! The chainplates is not the only problem.

https://thalassobiote.files.wordpres...0/img_1117.jpg
https://thalassobiote.files.wordpres...0/img_1118.jpg
thalassobiote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 17:46   #13

I replaced the mast step plates...2 of them....minimal cost. I also replaced the main with a footless main.
Old 17-10-2016, 18:14   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalassobiote View Post
Hello Ann,
it is quite funny having found this reply of yours today... I am just back from my third visit on a Standfast 36 laying on dry here in Central Italy. I am a pro skipper, looking for a small offshore cruiser for my own pleasure (after too much time sailing for others). I recently fall in love with this design...
the 36 is not so much roomy for a 36... she is not probably so much fast... but don't ask me why I love her proportions, the solid look. The building quality.

So what is funny about your reply?
Well, just have a look at my picture. I visited this boat for the third time as I said being very advanced on the process of buying. And this is the surprise I had today: rotten chainplates.
I am now in the dilemma if asking for a price reduction or giving up! The chainplates is not the only problem.

https://thalassobiote.files.wordpres...0/img_1117.jpg
https://thalassobiote.files.wordpres...0/img_1118.jpg
OUCH! Not a pretty sight, that. They are certainly in need of replacement. FWIW, in our boat the steel strap that ran down from the actual chainplate structure all the way to the keel structure had rusted through before we bought the boat. We never fixed that part... but it wasn't as far gone as yours appear to be. In our case, the upper portions of the chainplates were not so badly rusted. We made up some additional "L" shaped bits, bolted them to the existing plates and glassed them into the hull, effectively sistering the chainplate structure. Was still intact when we sold t he boat in 2004, and I believe she is still sailing in Queensland somewhere..

If you go ahead with the purchase, good luck with the boat. We sure loved ours!

Jim
Old 17-10-2016, 20:37   #15
Senior Cruiser

Thallasabiote--neat screen name, by the way:

A friend of ours had the prototype, and he removed the mild steel portion of the chainplates, displayed them as a trophy in the rigging shop at a local marina. They were lacy, if you fancy brown lace. Having seen that, we did the process I mentioned in that post, from time to time, and then, effected the repair in the manner Jim described. So, the good news is that there can be a fix--Carsten fixed his. But it is definitely a potential issue with the PJ 36 (Standfast). Another issue, at least on our old one, was there was no stringer to support the aft end of the keel. Jim eventually repaired that, in the water, a little scary with the angle grinder, that close to the water. Should you get a weeping leak by the aftmost keel boat, that is the repair you're looking at .... it seems the boat doesn't like sitting on her keel because of the lack of the support there.

I hope it works out for you. Although not fast by today's standards, she routinely gave us 140 mi. days, and one memorable trip, a week with the average of 159.5, not bad for a boat with a 29 ft. waterline!

Ann

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: