One significant difference between Booster and the PJ versions is in the actual support structure for the mast
step. In the PJs, there was a mild steel
support, consisting of a flange that had a couple of keel bolts
going through it welded to a piece of four inch sched 80 pipe and another flange on the top that was incorporated in a fibreglass bridge running athwartship. The steel
straps descending from the chainplate structure were welded to that flange (and that area had rusted completely away on our boat)). It appears that the Booster version had an additional athwartship bulkhead in the stubby, and that the step rested on all three bulkheads... IMO a better arrangement.
The area that gave us the trouble was around the single keel
bolt at the aft end of the keel
, the one that came up through the canoe body of the hull
... the flexing was between the stringer next to the bolt and the termination of the foam coring in the side of the hull
. I wish that I had photos of the repair we made, but this was in the days before digital photography
and we were a lot less likely to capture images
of everything that went on around us then!
At any rate, it was very interesting to learn about the Standfasts that were built in Europe
. I was completely unaware of them. I knew that Maas built the prototype in Holland
. An acquaintance of ours owned that boat
for a while, and it had a few differences from the production versions from PJ. The photos of the interior
of Booster are quite identical to how I remember our design... even the cutouts for dishes in the galley
cupboards. Only significant difference was ours had an electrical
of the nav station (a GREAT nav station, BTW!) where Booster has bookshelves. Oh... the wiring
on our PJ was terrible... including such travesties as connections using wire nuts, solid household wire, and a Vetus switch panel using a fuse size that was very difficult to find for replacements
. Gaackk! I cursed that wiring
so many times as I hunted down faults that turned out to be corroded wire nut joins... Eventually replaced 95% of it, at great cost in cuts, bruises and strained joints!
One further thing: we also removed the tie rod between the baby stay attachment and the hull. But, we replaced it with a bit of 1x19 wire and a rigging
screw, and when in port took it out and had a filler cushion for the V-berth. When going to sea, it was a two minute job to replace and tension the stay.
This thread has been a hoot for me, bringing back memories of a boat
that we lived and cruised in for 17 years and 86,000+ sea miles. Insatiable I is still cruising here in Oz. She had a huge refit
in the hands of her current
owner, with a total redesign of the interior
into a sorta Euro-modern look with dinette table and a double quarter berth shoehorned into the aft sections, a new engine
with a sail drive, and a deck
. I'm not in favour of any of those mods, but it ain't my boat any more!