Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-10-2016, 18:21   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
Re: Palmer Johnson 36 Standfast

One significant difference between Booster and the PJ versions is in the actual support structure for the mast step. In the PJs, there was a mild steel support, consisting of a flange that had a couple of keel bolts going through it welded to a piece of four inch sched 80 pipe and another flange on the top that was incorporated in a fibreglass bridge running athwartship. The steel straps descending from the chainplate structure were welded to that flange (and that area had rusted completely away on our boat)). It appears that the Booster version had an additional athwartship bulkhead in the stubby, and that the step rested on all three bulkheads... IMO a better arrangement.

The area that gave us the trouble was around the single keel bolt at the aft end of the keel, the one that came up through the canoe body of the hull... the flexing was between the stringer next to the bolt and the termination of the foam coring in the side of the hull. I wish that I had photos of the repair we made, but this was in the days before digital photography and we were a lot less likely to capture images of everything that went on around us then!

At any rate, it was very interesting to learn about the Standfasts that were built in Europe. I was completely unaware of them. I knew that Maas built the prototype in Holland. An acquaintance of ours owned that boat for a while, and it had a few differences from the production versions from PJ. The photos of the interior of Booster are quite identical to how I remember our design... even the cutouts for dishes in the galley cupboards. Only significant difference was ours had an electrical panel outboard of the nav station (a GREAT nav station, BTW!) where Booster has bookshelves. Oh... the wiring on our PJ was terrible... including such travesties as connections using wire nuts, solid household wire, and a Vetus switch panel using a fuse size that was very difficult to find for replacements. Gaackk! I cursed that wiring so many times as I hunted down faults that turned out to be corroded wire nut joins... Eventually replaced 95% of it, at great cost in cuts, bruises and strained joints!

One further thing: we also removed the tie rod between the baby stay attachment and the hull. But, we replaced it with a bit of 1x19 wire and a rigging screw, and when in port took it out and had a filler cushion for the V-berth. When going to sea, it was a two minute job to replace and tension the stay.

This thread has been a hoot for me, bringing back memories of a boat that we lived and cruised in for 17 years and 86,000+ sea miles. Insatiable I is still cruising here in Oz. She had a huge refit in the hands of her current owner, with a total redesign of the interior into a sorta Euro-modern look with dinette table and a double quarter berth shoehorned into the aft sections, a new engine with a sail drive, and a deck stepped mast. I'm not in favour of any of those mods, but it ain't my boat any more!

Enough!

Jim

Old 31-10-2016, 08:01   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to thalassobiote

Hello Jim
few days has passed since your exhaustive reply. In the meanwhile I gave up the purchase of the SF36 as the long time of restoration is not compatible with the time arrangement of the coming 2017. I am quite nomadic and won't fine THAT time...

Just as a final note, I was passing by the Fiumicino (Rome) area and did not resist to visit a SF40 laying up there. The boat is on dry... I walked around her admiring the beautiful lines (smoother than the 36 I must say) and guess what?...

...just have a look at the attached picture!

thalassobiote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 08:12   #33

I could not see the Standfast picture on site. I assume the one you are looking at is the aluminum Standfast 40. Yes, nice boat. Good luck on your journeys....jimmy
Old 31-10-2016, 16:32   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalassobiote View Post
Hello Jim
few days has passed since your exhaustive reply. In the meanwhile I gave up the purchase of the SF36 as the long time of restoration is not compatible with the time arrangement of the coming 2017. I am quite nomadic and won't fine THAT time...

Just as a final note, I was passing by the Fiumicino (Rome) area and did not resist to visit a SF40 laying up there. The boat is on dry... I walked around her admiring the beautiful lines (smoother than the 36 I must say) and guess what?...

...just have a look at the attached picture!
Thanks for letting us know the outcome of your investigation. Sounds like a wise decision to me! The SF was a good home to us, but I'd not relish starting the necessary mods to make one good again.

The flaws i n the SF40 pic are pretty similar to what we had IIRC. It was a long time ago, and old fart memories are notoriously unreliable... But interestingly, we met a SF40 that had been dropped from a travel lift. Landed on the keel, fell over and slid down an embankment on top of a smaller boat, which it smashed. Upon survey subsequently, no structural damage whatsoever was found, only superficial scarring. I was sure impressed!

I hope that you can find a suitable vessel for your goals, one that is ready to sail away... or as near to that state as boats ever are!

Cheers,

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: