Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 14:10   #1

Boat: 1968 Wesco Coronado 25
Out of Nowhere . . .

a boat has come into my life. I am a single mother of two boys ages (almost) 5 and (almost) 9. A friend's circumstances have blessed me with their 1968 Coronado 25.

It's almost like a dream come true I didn't know I was dreaming. I know almost nothing about sailing, I have been out on a few friends' sailboats, including the one I now own, I have kayaked the bay(once) and white-water-rafted(once), but that's about it.

Ironically, last month I read a story about the Crafton family's 7 year voyage at sea and how they felt it brought their family closer together(more than just physically) and I even posted this on Facebook: "If only I had the guts to do this....oh, and the 2 houses to sell to fund it. But really, an amazing family adventure - I envy them."

Now I am suddenly looking at boating magazines, reading cruizing forums, learning nautical terms, trying to learn to sail, looking for sailing partners and making a plan to travel the seas.

I must be crazy - I have no idea what I'm doing!

The boat is water-tight, has been sailed in the SF Bay regularly this year, but is definitely in need of a lot of cosmetic work, a new head, grey-water holding tank(?), bilge pump and god only knows what else.

Oh yeah - she needs a name, too!!!

Anyways, hi all! I'm sure to wear your patience thin with too many questions.

---Starr
DrivenByTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 14:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Starr
Wow, what good fortune...congradulations.
We have several members in your area...I'm think-in you're going to find lots of help here!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 14:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I would take it a little at a time. Perhaps start by having the kids and you overnight on it (in the slip). You can pick up a portapotti for under 100 USD. Have a good friend teach you to sail. Your little family can get so much out of this water borne camper!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 14:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I would take it a little at a time. Perhaps start by having the kids and you overnight on it (in the slip). You can pick up a portapotti for under 100 USD. Have a good friend teach you to sail. Your little family can get so much out of this water borne camper!
Oh, I'm not rushing anything. I figure I've got 8-10 years to refurbish the boat, get experience, maybe upgrade, let the kids grow up before I'm likely to hit open sea. I figure for now starting out with day sails, get to know the boat, work towards some weekend trips. Maybe next summer we'll vacation on the water. I forgot to mention that I was once a live-aboard on a non-moving yacht - I miss being rocked to sleep by the waves.
Old 04-09-2010, 14:59   #5

Boat: Pearson 26
Congratulations! You'll have lots of fun with that boat. My son (8) told me he wanted to learn to sail, but when I offered to pay for a membership to the community sailing program he refused! I said, "I thought you wanted to learn how to sail." He said, "I want YOU to teach me!". That did it...I finally got off my wallet and got a new mast & boom for the Daysailer that's been sitting in my yard for the last two years, and we've gone out in the harbor together (along with my 6yo daughter) several times already. It's been a great summer!

Boat name suggestion: Windfall
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 15:26   #6

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Awesome good luck. You go girl you will have a great family adventure with this.

Windfall has got to be the name that is inspired!
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 17:17   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
windfall is a good one

welcome. have fun with your boat and boys!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 17:58   #8

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

As far as "Windfall" is concerned, while it [I]is[I] an appropriate name, I checked the USCG Vessel Documentation and there are over 80 of them registered, too common for me. I really like the name "Saint of Circumstance" (for many reasons) but I am concerned that it may be too long or complicated to be easily understood over a crackling radio. Opinions?
Old 04-09-2010, 18:03   #9

Quote:
I am concerned that it may be too long or complicated to be easily understood over a crackling radio.
A wise thought. I suspect more experience than you've let on! In a pinch, you can go with "circumstance" on the radio. Great name, go for it.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 18:17   #10

Boat: Island Packet Cat, 35 ft, Knotty Cat
Actually, boat maintenance will do you in long before your lack of sailing knowledge will. I'm not a negative person (I promise!) but for some reason boats seem to always need 'something', and I guess that's why a lot of them are named, The Jealous Mistress. Anyway, if you're prepared to pay for upkeep and repairs (and learn how to do a lot of these things yourself) then you have a wonderful future ahead of you. I wish you the best of luck!!!
Hans and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 19:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans and Laura View Post
Actually, boat maintenance will do you in long before your lack of sailing knowledge will. I'm not a negative person (I promise!) but for some reason boats seem to always need 'something', and I guess that's why a lot of them are named, The Jealous Mistress. Anyway, if you're prepared to pay for upkeep and repairs (and learn how to do a lot of these things yourself) then you have a wonderful future ahead of you. I wish you the best of luck!!!
I expect and hope to be doing the repairs/maintenance myself, learning it all bit by bit over the next few years. I am aware that a boat costs money to upkeep, I'm not happy about it, but I'm aware of it.

I am reminded of when I bought my first car, a 1980 Toyota Corolla. When the carburetor went bad I realized that I couldn't afford a mechanic every time something went wrong. So I went and bought a manual and a tool set. When my roommate came home, much to her dismay, I had all 102 pieces of that carburetor set out on every flat surface on a numbered piece of paper. When I put it all back together, it worked.

I have always been a do-it-yourself kind of gal. I have always done my own auto repair, I once was one of a team of four hired to build a two story house in the redwoods, off the grid(aka no power). I have worked as a migrant farm worker in the Florida tomato fields and have owned a number of my own businesses from landscaping to exotic reptile breeding.

Now none of this means that I am not concerned with the demand of keeping my new boat happy, but I am known for my perseverance, though I have never succeeded without help from friends and those with more knowledge than I - I am sure I will need the wisdom of this community to realize my new dream.

1st question:
Where should I post a thread to discuss boat names?
Old 04-09-2010, 19:52   #12

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Every now and then, you hear a story that makes your day.
Thanks!!--you made mine
Old 04-09-2010, 20:03   #13

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Kharma comes to mind for a name. Obviously you have some good stuff coming back to you!
Old 04-09-2010, 20:14   #14

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
I'll put in my vote for Windfall..

Welcome, and have fun with the boat!

I'm betting there are members here who will take you sailing and help you learn...
Old 04-09-2010, 20:43   #15

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Congratulations!

Sounds like you'll be fine. You've got that Can Do attitude. Which is a great name for a boat. Can Do Maybe Can Deux since you have 2 kids? Just a thought. I'm sure you'll come up with lots of boat names before you find the one that fits perfectly.

Good luck!
Kitty
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote