Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-10-2010, 16:21   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I had a long message typed but obviously failed to send it. I've done what you propose to do. If I had my life to live over again I wouldn't do it again. This is just an honest opinion.
I would buy a trailerable popular model fixer upper that's able to sail and get as much fun fixing and sailing time as possible out of it and once you are ready to trade up you can sell it and use the money to buy something bigger and better. Your home built project will not gain you the as much funds in the end and will cost you more to build. Again, just my opinion.
One I finished is here.
kind regards,
Attached Images

SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 18:45   #17

"My immediate thought is to build a plywood & fiberglass day sailor myself, since I've helped with such projects before. I'm currently looking at various plans, but I'm not in a rush, since I figure I won't get started on this project before 2012."
Welcome but I have just a small word of advice - You better hurry up because don't forget the world's suppose to end in 2012... LOL!!! Anyway - best of luck, sounds like a plan!

Allyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 18:58   #18

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Don't waste your time and money building a boat if you want to sail. The price of materials will be nearly the retail price of a similar new boat. Materials alone will surpass the price of a used boat. You won't go sailing for at least a month. The completed boat will have barely any resale value. Do yourself a favor and buy a used boat.

That being said, I built a little 6' dinghy, had fun, and only spent a few hundred bucks. Would I do it again? Yes.

Should I do it again? Financially, no. It was fun, but it made no sense from a money point of view.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 19:22   #19

Welcome aboard
Don't let anyone talk you out of something you want to do. There is a lot of good advice on this forum, but just remember it is just advice.
ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 19:47   #20

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
I built an eight foot nutshell pram a few years back, the experience was awsome. I currently am building a sea kayak in my basement, along with the 10 or so projects to get Lucky ready for spring sailing.

It is true, your boat might cost you just as much as retail, but when you sail her you'll KNOW it was a good choice.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 23:08   #21

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28
I love building boats. I have 4 planed for this winter. Mostly I do stich and glue, It's fast easy and very flexible if you want to change things. I've also built the old fashioned way and for some boats it's better. May I sugest you check George Buehler's designs, the"Happy Camper of Pogo Pogo" to be exact. It's only 16 feet but it is a very solid,very heavy little boat that may be rigged in a multitude of ways. It aught to be fun and good building practice for you. I'd love to have one myself but alas I have too many boats of that size range already.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 05:53   #22

Boat: Planning Stages
I guess you could say that I've started building... sort of. I've got the plans for a small sailing pram from Glen-L, and have bought the first materials... a few boxes of Bronze screws used in the construction of said model. I'm planning on picking up a sheet of 1/2 AB Exterior ply for the frames next week as a Christmas present to myself, and will probably pick up the necessary lumber (mahogany) a week or two after (as the budget permits).

Thanks for all the great advice on methods to approach sailing. Part of the reason that I decided to go the build route is that I know I enjoy building things at least as much as I do the sailing part. Yes, I know that it will cost as much, or more, overall before I have a completed boat, but for anyone who has "done it themselves" (no matter what the build is), there is a certain satisfaction of accomplishment in the doing.

I still expect to be on the water in my new sailing dinghy by May.

You Know You've Got A Hole In Your Boat When You Get That Sinking Feeling!
TiredParent is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: