Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-10-2007, 22:16   #1

on the verge...

of becoming a cruiser.

Hi all,
This summer I did a bike tour (pedal bike cruising ) of the Pacific northwest and discovered that I want to learn how to sea kayak and sail. Eventually I'd like to cruise with the bike and kayak in tow. At this point, it looks like it will be a singlehanded affair. I know, I have a long way to go before that dream is in full effect, but hey, I gotta start somewhere; so here I am. This looks like the place on the web to get started learning the ropes from experienced cruisers, and I appreciate that a forum with so much participation is even available!

A month and a half ago I went to the library and checked out a pile of books related to sailing. I have browsed several general sailing books (beginning to learn terminology), read most of Jim Trefethen's book, 'The Cruising Life: A Commonsense Guide for the Would-Be Voyager', and hope to obtain a copy of Beth Leonard's book, 'The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising'. Aside from the more technical books about cruising, I'd like get into reading about other peoples' epic adventures. If you have any suggestions on good reading material please feel free to suggest them. I'm sure I'll find similar advice around the forums as well, so no pressure.

I'm thinking this winter will be dedicated to reading and studying more about sailing and when the ice thaws out in Michigan in 2008, I'll hopefully begin with some hands-on learning.

Anyway, enough blabbering. I'm gonna go read the forums. Cheers!

blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 00:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Welcome aboard Brandon!

There are hundreds if not thousands of years of experience around here and tons of learning going on.

There are no dumb questions except the ones not asked...

Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Welcome! Cruising as a topic has a great deal of depth and breadth. After a reading for a few days straight you should start to see what I mean. There are a lot of great ways to make it all work but the right one for you takes a bit of effort to explore and try new things.

Having been a cyclist, canoeist, and mountaineer myself all your own touring experience adds to what you need to know about the world, about yourself, and about what cruising is all about. It's conditioning for your head. It's the hardest part to learn. You are well on your way. Boats are just like bikes - don't hit anything.
Paul Blais
s/v Bright Eyes Gozzard 36
37 15.7 N 76 28.9 W
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:00   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Welcome Brandon! "Living Aboard" by Libby Allcard is a great general book on the cruising life. Singlehanding will ultimately guide you to a specific boat, and will bring it's own limitations and restrictions, but it's own freedoms and scope also. Check the other "newbie" threads on the learning curve issue and getting the knowledge - there's already a great bank of opinion on this forum!! Some words of encouragement that are etched on a brass plate on my boat - you have a great adventure ahead!!
"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble. If it happens to be an auxiliary cruising boat, it is without question the most compact and ingenious arrangement for living ever devised by the restless mind of man--a home that is stable without being stationary, shaped less like a box than like a fish or a girl, and in which the homeowner can remove his daily affairs as far from shore as he has the nerve to take them, close hauled or running free--parlor, bedroom, and bath, suspended and alive."
by E.B. White
mickmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:25   #5

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
My Favorite Books

Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum
Around the World Single-Handed: The Cruise of the Islander by Harry Pidgeon
Desparate Voyage by John Caldwell
Cruising in Seraffyn by Lin and Larry Pardey
Jay White
S/V Dove
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 14:18   #6

Thanks very much for the welcome and the suggestions, I'm finding this forum to be extremely educational.

blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: