Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-07-2014, 15:10   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Old Geezer looking for Advice...

FWIW,

The key to making it all work is making it fun for your wife, too. So the two of you need to work out together what the shapes of that will be.

For me, that has meant being able to do everything on the boat that has to be done, but now there are some things I no longer can do. This diminishes my pleasure.

You should also be aware that boats require maintenance more urgently than campers, and you're going to spend a lot of time frustrated by tradespeople who don't come when they said, don't phone, answer cell phones on your nickel, and so on. Taking your camper to the local dealer is a whole different game. Campers can only sink if you drive them into the water. Boats have that potential for sinking as an intrinsic part of their makeup.

Ann

Old 11-07-2014, 01:49   #32

Thank you so much for all the great replies. So much food for thought... The boat chartering idea to see what it 'might' be like seems an excellent idea, and if we can learn by ASA certification in the process even better. Taking the first two close to home and then arranging 104 somewhere exotic sounds good - thanks OldFrog75. I kind of wish we were back in Austin to get started but it's really getting hot there, so it'll wait until Oct when we're back.

So, if anyone knows some online course work or any suggestions on reading material while holed up in the camper would be great. I know just reading a lot of your accounts here on the forum are excellent so I'll be doing that.

I know sailboat cruising is a lot different than tootling around in a campervan - ours is a 1990 VW Westfalia with a 1.6 turbo diesel - as slow as a tractor. But, it's probably a smaller living space than what most of you have. Don't have to worry about sinking, and it's easier going when in fog, or stormy weather for sure. Frankly, it might be a good starter for developing a touring/traveling conciousness. I'm looking at the boat as a more challenging, progressive means to travel for new experiences.

Today, we're heading into Nancy, France a few miles away to watch the cyclists finish this leg of the Tour de France. Then we'll head south to catch them at Nantes and Carcassonne, then into the Pyrennes for the final mountain stage. I've always wanted to this so it's a big thrill for me. Great way to see France and experience the french excitement for this gruelling race. BTW, someone mentioned canal cruising here... while walking along the Moselle yesterday saw a Norwegian flagged sailboat with his mast cradled motoring along - just idyllic.

Please keep the suggestions/experiences coming. What a great community to be part of. Attached a pic of me with our camper.

Regards,
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_awning.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	84832  

Old 11-07-2014, 06:21   #33
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Hey, a lot of the cruisers that come through here on their way south in the fall, and north in the spring.....look a whole lot just like that.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:32   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Hey, a lot of the cruisers that come through here on their way south in the fall, and north in the spring.....look a whole lot just like that.
Yep...

Got the cruiser look perfected already...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:59   #35

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

As already mentioned, you can get boats that make life easier with such things as electric winches, in-mast furling, etc. Get those, even when learning if possible. But also think in terms of mobility (yours & hers) getting on & off the boat, into the dinghy, into the bunk. Money will resolve most issues (hiring crew or trades), but being able to walk (for provisions, info, sight seeing,etc.) is important. IMO being physically strong is less important than being fairly fit & flexible.

Cruise & learns are a great option.

I hope your wife becomes infected with your enthusiasm--then go for it!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:07   #36

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
As already mentioned, you can get boats that make life easier with such things as electric winches, in-mast furling, etc. Get those, even when learning if possible. But also think in terms of mobility (yours & hers) getting on & off the boat, into the dinghy, into the bunk.

SNIP
This can be a double edge sword. Electric winches require electricity which means batteries and a way to charge them. In mast furling is nice as long as nothing jams.

All these things are compromises between simplicity, cost, fun, and ease of use. As an example I have extensions on the sugar scoop of my cat that are maybe six inches above the water line. Stepping from the tender to the sugar scoop is trivial. But maybe more importantly if you fall off the boat it is not much of a task to get back on. These are the kind of things that can make life much easier.
Old 11-07-2014, 14:52   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Yep...

Got the cruiser look perfected already...
Shirt's too nice, he can afford a watch and he doesn't have grease and paint under his fingernails.

The expression is close , but not quite the look of someone who's ever paid $900 for an alternator.

Give him a year to get boat-poor...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 15:16   #38
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

You hadda bring up the alternators. I think "Hitachi" is Kanji for unobtainium. And I needed two of them.

Sailors feet usually give them away, too. Especially if they're wearing their favorite shoes.
Old 11-07-2014, 15:19   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Shirt's too nice, he can afford a watch and he doesn't have grease and paint under his fingernails.

The expression is close , but not quite the look of someone who's ever paid $900 for an alternator.

Give him a year to get boat-poor...
AWESOMELY FUNNY!!!!!!!

(I just looked and have red Interlux Brightside on a few nails from a month ago... sure hope that says something towards longevity of the bootstripe!)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 15:37   #40
Marine Service Provider

Go for it but choose the boat and rig carefully to make it carefree as possible. A senior couple I met many years ago on the Icw expressed to me the following "Remember that the boat can always take more than the crew" and that was their secret to extended cruising into their 60's and 70's.
Old 11-07-2014, 16:43   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You hadda bring up the alternators. I think "Hitachi" is Kanji for unobtainium. And I needed two of them.

Sailors feet usually give them away, too. Especially if they're wearing their favorite shoes.
You can still afford flip flops? No wonder you can't afford an alternator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
AWESOMELY FUNNY!!!!!!!

(I just looked and have red Interlux Brightside on a few nails from a month ago... sure hope that says something towards longevity of the bootstripe!)
Mine are white Danboline and blue Toplac this month...

What's a battery bank for a VW camper-van cost?

(Oh, crap - I'm not supposed to post this crap until after he buys the boat, right?)

Never mind my ramblings bhamham - Come on in the water's fine...
Old 12-07-2014, 01:43   #42

Quote:
I'll take that as a compliment - I guess

That's my 'go to town' shirt & watch. Marie's a culture freak and likes to hit ALL the museums. Last month, in Holland it was non-stop and the 'girl with the pearl earring' was available after 2 yrs so had to see it and the 'goldfinch'.

Yea, I'm working myself up for 'the mony pit'. Battery packs? $900 altenator - yikes! Trying not to think too much about the boat we want just yet, but getting one that you guys are tired of, or moving to another, is probably a good catch. Need to start an inventory list of essentials and check list of what's been done/needed when I do go shopping. But, getting a head of myself.

You now know I'm an old geezer. By way of introduction here's my bonnie lassie who's English (Irish parents) but met her when she was an illegal working in a Tex-Mex place in Austin 30 yrs ago (now a duly registered, tax-paying US citizen). She's younger by 9 yrs, a lot stronger (smarter, too) and more fit so can work the rigging while I just steer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M_goldfinch.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	84882  
Old 12-07-2014, 02:00   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamham View Post

You now know I'm an old geezer. By way of introduction here's my bonnie lassie who's English (Irish parents) but met her when she was an illegal working in a Tex-Mex place in Austin 30 yrs ago (now a duly registered, tax-paying US citizen). She's younger by 9 yrs, a lot stronger (smarter, too) and more fit so can work the rigging while I just steer.
Can you tip her upside down in a bilge with just her bum and feet sticking out?

I'd like to be able to recognize her in a year...

Illegal alien, used to potato and cabbage diet and cute to match - Perfect first mate material!

Get her to open an account and we'll introduce her to some of the "ladies" around here. They have their own private social club where they talk dirty and smoke cigars and complain about us lesser species.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:11   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Can you tip her upside down in a bilge with just her bum and feet sticking out?

I'd like to be able to recognize her in a year...

Illegal alien, used to potato and cabbage diet and cute to match - Perfect first mate material!

Get her to open an account and we'll introduce her to some of the "ladies" around here. They have their own private social club where they talk dirty and smoke cigars and complain about us lesser species.
Thanks Ex-Calif Had me laughing out loud! She's still not leaning real hard to this sailing thing so treading lightly. I get this from her - 'you're on that sailboat forum aren't you?!' Along with the cabbage & potatoes - which are plenty! - there's a profound stubbornness to change. It's challenging at the best of times. I'm sure that 'upside down with bum & feet sticking out' comment will win her over!
Old 12-07-2014, 02:31   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamham View Post
'you're on that sailboat forum aren't you?!' Along with the cabbage & potatoes - which are plenty! - there's a profound stubbornness to change.
Ok - I forgot what phase of Vulcan mind-meld we were on. We are in the "selling her on the boat idea" phase - marketing materials attached.

Being Irish she probably also needs to be weaned off whiskey so there's a St. Croix helper.

She needs to believe at this point that it is all about fruity boat drinks.

Start accidentally playing Jimmy Buffet's "Boat Drinks" on the iPod. Words attached so you can hum along.

Now this is the hard part - She thinks you are looking at bikini chicks. So open the fruity boat drink pictures and the sunset picture and make "noises" like you are looking at bikini chicks.

When she "takes the bait" to come and confirm her suspicion, you act all surprised and say - "Sorry Marie, luv. I was just imagining you in this scene..."

Phase II to follow - "How to hide 75% of our monthly income so she doesn't know how much an alternator costs."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ad5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	84883   Click image for larger version

Name:	ad1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	84884  

Name:	ad6.jpg