Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 07:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Old boater planning for offshore cruising

I'm a mono guy myself... But considering your dive passion, doesn't it make sense to rethink cats???? You also need to carefully consider draft for the size of mono you will need, limiting your dive areas... Plus... The admiral is going to be hard pressed to please when you guys have cat experience with all of the "amenities" of such... Hard to find that in a mono... unless of course you get one like Mr. Jedi's!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47   #17

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We have a/c on our boat and never used it in the Caribbean or indeed through the Pacific and Indian Oceans. In four years I have turned it in a few times just to make sure it still works. The natural a/c in the tropics is great wirh the trades. Add wind scoops as needed. Big fan of Amels. We have seen more Amels out cruising in obscure places than any other brand. With your budget I might leave more to a monohull.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:05   #18

Boat: Oyster 53

I agree on the selective use of AC. We had AC on our last boat, a Tayana 52, which we sailed around SE Asia, across the Indian, Red Sea and Med. The only time we needed AC was in a marina when there was no breeze. And then, oh yes, it was a necessity! After we left Thailand there were no more marinas and we (my wife) never missed it.

Our current boat has AC but as we live in the PNW we never use it. Heat is more important.

Your goals and budget are on the right track. However, the budget might need to be "inched up" a little if you want working AC, with the generator to match and room for dive gear and crew quarters.

As we are going through the upgrade/re-fit process now I can tell you this is where many under-estimate the total cost of boat ownership. If you want your wife to actually spend quality time with you on board then that will require significant investment post-purchase - no matter what kind of boat you buy. I just wrote a blog post on this of our extremely painful experience which you can read, if interested, by clicking on my signature.

To those who say you will have difficulty singlehanding a mono hull in that size range well, I disagree. I singlehand ours and she is 53 feet long. You just have to have her rigged properly and think ahead. And practice!

One other idea I would throw out there for you to consider is "re-sale." Try not to buy a one-off custom job as when the time comes to sell her you will have great difficulty. If possible, stick with a brand that is recognized in the market you may want to sell. In our case a Tayana is well known in the US but completely unknown in Europe. We had difficulty selling her when our trip ended in Barcelona.

Amels are a good brand and appeal to a certain group of cruisers. Personally, I don't like them and they feel too "plasticky" to me but that is no reflection on their quality, just personal taste. Amels would be easier to sell in Europe than in the US as well, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Dhillen
Old 04-05-2013, 17:25   #19

Thanks! This is great advice.

I figure two zone AC with a appropriately sized AC for the master berth and another for the salon. Never need to run both at the same time and probably never use the salon AC unless stuck in a windless harbor for an extended period.

I would prefer not to use marinas and anchor or moor. A RIB will be a necessity. Part of the reason for this is better ventilation, less chance of electrolysis, and better security. If I had to leave the boat, which I don't envision, I would dry store it.

Many of the Amel's I have seen are rigged for short handed sailing and IIRC are designed specifically to be sailed by a couple. I am a sucker for older boats. There always seem to be quite a few well equipped cruising boats that are available because the owners are moving back to land. It seems more logical to add convenience to a solid cruiser than try to make a luxury boat seaworthy. I have perused Yachtworld and have seen several cruising equipped boats that could possibly be modified to my requirements. Adding a generator and AC is more practical on a cruiser with large existing fuel tanks.

Resale is really low on my list of priorities. I am assuming that whatever I put into this will be a monetary loss. We are doing it for the experience, that is where the value is. That's why I'd rather spend the money on a generator, AC and other comforts, even if I don't use them much. We can afford to lose that much without impacting our financial future. We could buy a more expensive production boat and fit it out like we want, but then we would have to worry about resale and getting out money out of the boat when we need to.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 17:52   #20
cruiser

You're overthinking the a/c. We only find it necessary to use ours in marinas when we're plugged in. We'd have to be pretty uncomfortable to listen to the generator all day just to have some a/c going. We live at achor most of this time to enjoy the peace and quiet while hanging around in shorts or swim suits.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 18:19   #21

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You're overthinking the a/c. We only find it necessary to use ours in marinas when we're plugged in. We'd have to be pretty uncomfortable to listen to the generator all day just to have some a/c going. We live at achor most of this time to enjoy the peace and quiet while hanging around in shorts or swim suits.
When you spend more time on your boat you adapt. I think when people charter, it can be really uncomfortable if you're used to climate control, and being thrust into the heat for a cruising cameo. If you are in south Florida getting ready, refitting, etc, then you will likely be plugged in at the marina and you're darn skippy your wife (and prolly you too) will want AC. Should not take priority over your other qualifications though, as any boat that size should be no problem to install a couple of units if it doesn't have HVAC already. And like everyone is saying, once you're out there, you use awnings, are active in cooler parts of the day, and just get used to it so that AC can be unnecessary or even uncomfortable.

Good luck with your search. I would also cast a wider net and include fiberglass, and really focus on the functional attributes that will give you and your wife pleasure while cruising. While aluminum has it's place, I'm not sure it's all that practical or necessary for a Caribbean cruiser. Try to board as many boats as you can, and get your wife's input. I bet Kenomacs Oyster is a sweet ride!
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 23:27   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Let me give you a typical scenario: it's a blistering hot and humid day. Swimming and awnings and a little breeze has kept it comfortable. At the end of the afternoon, clouds build up and so does humidity, while the wind dies and temperature stays up. As the time comes for preparing a meal, for which the outside grill is readied, it starts to rain. Tropical rain, thanks to the ITCZ. Now, you go inside the boat with wet hair etc., close all the hatches, and light up the stove. What do you think the atmosphere will be?

Now the Jedi scenario: same all day like above but when clouds start to build, the small pressure washer makes an appearance, powered by inverter and the boat's fresh water supply and the decks are cleaned using up to 10 gallons of water. Boat nice and clean and as it starts to rain, we start the genset, activate the rain water collection and go inside. The genset powers the A/C, battery charger, water maker and it's hot cooling water heats the water heater, while we cook a masterpiece meal in cool surroundings. After dinner it's dark, the heat and moisture are out of the boat, batteries topped up for the night, a couple hundred gallons of water made and/or caught , coffee maker is ready, rain stopped, and we shut everything down and go drink coffee in the cockpit. At night we use a fan on the inverter.

I think the first scenario is what makes the wife run away and the guy eat cold beans straight from the can

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 23:49   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Some how I think there is a happy middle ground.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I think the first scenario is what makes the wife run away ...
Sounds like the easy way to happiness.

If that doesn't work one can simply sail to a better climate or breezier anchorage. No need for A/C or such a needy weak spouse. Plenty of girls can take the heat. Especially here.

We rarely see the folks that are addicted to A/C and gensets. They huddle in the boat unable to cope with life on earth while we're out playing. Your choice.

That's my opinion anyway ...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:44   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post

Sounds like the easy way to happiness.

If that doesn't work one can simply sail to a better climate or breezier anchorage. No need for A/C or such a needy weak spouse. Plenty of girls can take the heat. Especially here.

We rarely see the folks that are addicted to A/C and gensets. They huddle in the boat unable to cope with life on earth while we're out playing. Your choice.

That's my opinion anyway ...
Was my post too difficult to read?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:09   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Was my post too difficult to read?
There's really no need to insult someone who disagrees with you on this forum.

There are many routes to happiness... some don't include A/C.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

There's really no need to insult someone who disagrees with you on this forum.

There are many routes to happiness... some don't include A/C.
I was asking a question... and not from you, but you seem to like to bring strong words to my conversations, forcing yourself into it.

I asked the question because it seems like there was just one sentence taken from my post, out of context, and then an answer that did not fit with what I posted at all. I.e. the rain and hatches closed etc.

But I can see the Jedi whacking team assembling here again, so I'll let you guys have your fun

Old 05-05-2013, 05:37   #28

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Old boater planning for offshore cruising

Quote:
...I think the first scenario is what makes the wife run away and the guy eat cold beans straight from the can

Now the Blue Crab scenario: same all day like above but when clouds start to build, we step outside mossie net surrounding cockpit as it starts to rain for a soapy shower. I soap up Lindsay Lohan, my RIG (rigid inflatable girl) who was made in China so she's a little Mickey Mouse but without the ears. The passive rain water collector round the edge of the bimini starts its job. We activate the 12v cockpit fan powered by Walmart start battery fed by accumulated electric thingies in batt supplied by 25w solar gizmo. After dinner of cold beans and warm beer (it's too hot to cook and sometimes we have pork with those healthy, high protein beans!) it's dark, the heat and moisture of our love-making is cooled by fan. 44 gal of water have been collected, our tanks runneth over, we're full as ticks and exhausted from the nightly sex. Well ... perhaps another beer. If I'm revived by the beer, I might inflate the Beyoncé doll. She's black, I'm blue. We like it rough.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:07   #29

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Let me give you a typical scenario: it's a blistering hot and humid day. Swimming and awnings and a little breeze has kept it comfortable. At the end of the afternoon, clouds build up and so does humidity, while the wind dies and temperature stays up. As the time comes for preparing a meal, for which the outside grill is readied, it starts to rain. Tropical rain, thanks to the ITCZ. Now, you go inside the boat with wet hair etc., close all the hatches, and light up the stove. What do you think the atmosphere will be?

Now the Jedi scenario: same all day like above but when clouds start to build, the small pressure washer makes an appearance, powered by inverter and the boat's fresh water supply and the decks are cleaned using up to 10 gallons of water. Boat nice and clean and as it starts to rain, we start the genset, activate the rain water collection and go inside. The genset powers the A/C, battery charger, water maker and it's hot cooling water heats the water heater, while we cook a masterpiece meal in cool surroundings. After dinner it's dark, the heat and moisture are out of the boat, batteries topped up for the night, a couple hundred gallons of water made and/or caught , coffee maker is ready, rain stopped, and we shut everything down and go drink coffee in the cockpit. At night we use a fan on the inverter.

I think the first scenario is what makes the wife run away and the guy eat cold beans straight from the can
Jedi,

Sounds like a great system. Question: you collect rainwater AND use a water maker? I suppose after pressure washing the non-teak decks collecting rain water is very straightforward for you.

Also, I am guessing you have a very large fan to need the inverter. You don't like the 12v jobs, Hellas and so forth?

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 05-05-2013, 06:09   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Now the Blue Crab scenario: same all day like above but when clouds start to build, we step outside mossie net surrounding cockpit as it starts to rain for a soapy shower. I soap up Lindsay Lohan, my RIG (rigid inflatable girl) who was made in China so she's a little Mickey Mouse but without the ears. The passive rain water collector round the edge of the bimini starts its job. We activate the 12v cockpit fan powered by Walmart start battery fed by accumulated electric thingies in batt supplied by 25w solar gizmo. After dinner of cold beans and warm beer (it's too hot to cook and sometimes we have pork with those healthy, high protein beans!) it's dark, the heat and moisture of our love-making is cooled by fan. 44 gal of water have been collected, our tanks runneth over, we're full as ticks and exhausted from the nightly sex. Well ... perhaps another beer. If I'm revived by the beer, I might inflate the Beyoncé doll. She's black, I'm blue. We like it rough.
PRICELESS!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, offshore