Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-06-2015, 14:12   #1

Office to open ocean! (PNW)

For as long as I can remember, I've day-dreamed of the freedom, the minimalism, and the self-reliance of living and cruising the world aboard a sailboat. However, I've always assumed it was practical for only the wealthy and the retired. I didn't even get my first taste of sailing until I joined a sailing club in grad school.

I'm 28 and working in the PNW for a large (not to be named) tech company. I hate the desk job and this corporate lifestyle just isn't for me. I'm already planning to part with my apartment, liquidate the few things I own, and move into a boat and prepare it for departure 2 years down the road.

I've been doing my homework and I know it won't be cheap. I'm looking for a small blue-water worthy boat the likes of a Westsail 32. I would want to acquire a boat within a year so that I'd have at least a year to prepare her (and myself) for the journey. Two employed years won't be enough time to accumulate large savings, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to find work remotely when my cruising funds run out.

I've been greatly inspired by the other stories I've read here, the videos I've watched on YouTube of people singlehanding their vessels across the pacific, and especially the SV Delos crew.

I'm excited to begin my journey here with this community. If anyone is in the PNW (I'm in Portland) and wants to invite me aboard their boat so that I can bask in their wisdom, I'll buy you beer (plural).

Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 14:30   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: Office to open ocean! (PNW)

Welcome to the club!

I'm a tad north of you here in Anacortes an our boat is goin on the hard in a week or so, but you're very welcome to come by any time.

Looks like you have a good plan for the size boat that you're looking for. My advice would be to keep your eyes peeled on Yachtworld etc for a vessel that had just been prepped for a serious sea voyage, but for one of many possible reasons they had to cancel their plans at the last minute.

Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 14:48   #3

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I'm in a similar situation as you but in Seattle. If you're ever up here I'd be happy to get a beer. I love Portland, but it'll probably be next winter before I get down there again. Your sailboat market will be much bigger if you look in Seattle, although I know there are a few in Portland.

You've got a lot to learn if you don't have that much big boat experience yet, so I'd recommend getting out there chartering or with a club as much as possible in the meantime.

I wonder how many cruising converts Delos can take credit for. They're certainly bringing in a noticeable number of younger sailors, which I think is great because they're aren't many of us.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 15:09   #4

Boat: Still Searching for Her

Howdy Ryban, and Welcome Aboard the Forum!

I am about twice your age, and really wish I had taken off at 28 to go around the Pacific. Things have gotten a lot different in the last 25 years, so the opportunities are growing for young sailors to attempt or do things that many would not try before. Good luck on making your plans come true.

Since you are new here, I have a few tips for you:

1. Social Groups on CF

There are also some "social groups" that are more focused on special interests, and as I saw, they can be fun for their members. I am not a member of those groups, but you should be able to find them if you do some exploring of the forum website, look for "groups."

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - All Groups

Look for one of the groups that is focused on PNW sailors. It is that long list somewhere. Pacific Coast Sailors Group (74 members)
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Pacific Coast Sailors

2. Make sure you put some info in your About Me page/tab in your forum profile.
If you have posted relevant information in your "Meet & Greet" post (up above), simply copy some of that to you profile "About Me" page, because the "Meet & Greet" introduction you posted above will soon disappear into the archives in a matter of days, whereas forum members may check to see your profile About Me page for years to come.

3. Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field.

4. There is a "Cruising Wiki" found here via another tab on the forum page. It has a LOT of information in it you might find interesting.

5. Blue Water Boats?

There have been many discussions on this forum about the topic of "Blue Water boats."
The following link will take you to a custom search page with many different threads you could read and those have hundreds if not thousands of comments on the topic.

A Google Custom Search of this site:
blue water bluewater -

A Google Custom Search of this site:
blue water bluewater - Google Search

A good place to start learning something about classic boats (mostly older boats from the 1970s and 1980s, so lower priced now as used boats) that are popular in the US waters is a website focused on "Bluewater Boats." Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts :

Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts :

Good luck on your search, research, and making you dreams come true. 

Hope that helps!

Ahoy All Sailors! I love traditional sailboats of all kinds (e.g. gaff rigged, schooners, cutters, smacks, woodies, etc.). See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details.
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 00:11   #5

Thanks for the helpful tips and the welcomes! I've just purchased a copy of "They Voyager's Handbook" and have been spending a good chunk of my downtime researching and scoping out boats.

I have tons of questions, but am going to do my best to answer them through my research first, and then once I've given up, resort to addressing them here.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: