Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 21:47   #16

Aloha,
I am a 23 year old female living in Maui working on a snorkel boat, doing three charters a day. I would love to do something hard core, some real adventure. I am looking to crew on a boat to gain real experience and see the world the way it was intended. I am an athletic, hard working and persistent girl with big dreams. The ocean holds a special place in my life and provides endless opportunity and exploration. I admire this trip you plan and wish to be a part of it. In addition, I am a writer and photographer and would love to document this adventure for my personal use. If there is a place for me I would love to take it and share in this dream of yours.

Mahalo,
Molly
mols24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 19:04   #17

Location: Outfitting in Mobile Alabama for a homeward voyage in 2013 to Astoria Oregon - NW Passage or Panama Canal? Depends of crewing interest - North or South?
Boat: 55' steel expedition trawler GREY GOOSE
Still a few open berths on NorthwestPassage2011.com

There still are a few open berths on our Arctic Northwest Passage 2011 Expedition. We have organized the expedition by increasing berthing to 8 and done many upgrades for high latitude voyaging like ESPAR hydronic heating system etc... bottom line is we are all sharing the direct expenses of the expedition, we call this concept a "share-a-ride" voyage. The cost estimates and details are on the website at http://www.northwestpassage2011.com/

I hope you can find a way to join us.

Smooth seas,
drpohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 08:47   #18

Location: Outfitting in Mobile Alabama for a homeward voyage in 2013 to Astoria Oregon - NW Passage or Panama Canal? Depends of crewing interest - North or South?
I see Alex Whitworth is to receive the Blue Metal from The Cruising Club of America (CCA) for his circumnavigation via the Northwest Passage - West to East.

You can read about it here:
Northwestpassage2011 dot com: Blue Water Medal awarded to Alex Whitworth - Northwest Passage West to East
Old 29-01-2011, 23:24   #19
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1 View Post
I am not a gold-ass.
This sounds very exciting. But I like to stay warm - cold asses are not for me!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 07:00   #20

Oh yes... cold is no fun... just think of those 129 men on the Franklin Expedition back in the 1850s attempting the Northwest Passage on the HMS EREBUS and HMS TERROR and what they had to endure - wintering over in a -30F Arctic climate... but today we are dressing with Mustang exposure suits and use duofold underwear and Polartec fleece... its a much nicer experience... and our ESPAR hydronic heater system keeps the boat warm and comfortable... sometimes you trade one thing for another... have you read Barry Lopez book 'Arctic Dreams'? Be careful... if you read it you will want to go to the Arctic and experience it for yourself... the cold is not even a consideration when you make your decision since you know there is new technology and its only going to be for a relative short time... having been in the Arctic I cannot wait to return... its magic!
Old 30-01-2011, 07:18   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
ha ha it's cold enough for me here in the uk at+2 degrees c.

good luck and i'm sure many will watch with interest on the forum,keep on posting.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 08:22   #22

Thanks for your kind words... a bit of song and good cheer:

Youtube - The National :Northwest Passage