Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 18:27   #1

Novice looking to purchase our first boat.

Hello everyone,

My fiance and I are moving in the direction of aquiring our first sailboat, actually apart from kayaks, it would be our first boat ever. That said, I did a bit of day sailing with my best friend in the Tampa Bay area prior to my moving to my present home in Anchorage, AK.

Anchorage itself, although on the water, is not a place for recreational boating. There are a lot of good reasons for this, but they don't really matter. There is however a beautiful little town two hours south of us called Seward, with an active boating community and a fair amount of sail boats.

Seward is our weekend getaway destination, so we have decided to explore purchasing a boat that could function as our cabin, as well as getting us out into the surrounding waters. In the research I have done thus far, I am thinking we will end up with something in the mid-thirty foot range, as it seems that would fit our goals of having a place to stay, and would be within our budget. I think we would be limiting our search to boats that are in our region of Alaska, but there are several small boat harbors within 200 miles. In looking at what is for sale, seems like we have some possable options at any given time.

I have put our name in for a waiting list for a 40' slip, seems like they are taking about a year to come up, then we would have another 12 months to put a boat in, before losing it. Of course we would still be renting an open slip for that time. There is also the option of aquiring the boat, and paying a bit more for transient space, if it works out that way.

My plan is for us to take a week long course, ther is one in Seward, which would be apealing as we would be in the waters we would spend most of our time in. Having kayaked there many times, I have knowledge of the ara, tides, wind, etc. It would be better sailing than kayaking most of the time.

So anyway, I am open to anyone who may have any advice.
Apogee907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:51   #2

Re: Novice looking to purchase our first boat.

Welcome to Cruisers Forum. Good luck with your plans. They seem pretty sensible to me.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Sounds like a reasonable, sensible plan. Odd for something as crazy as buying a boat.

I think mid thirties is a good size. Enough room for two people to live on board in comfort and have all the amenities (if that's what you want), but not too big to be a giant handful for new sailors to handle.

One caution, since this will be your first boat the odds are about 98% that after you gain a little experience your preferences in size, style, layout, rig or more will change. But not to worry, very few people find a boat that they consider perfect. All boats are compromises.

One recommendation. Since this will be your first boat try to get one that doesn't require major repairs. You want to start out having fun and learning how to sail, not learning how to fix boats. Of course, owning a boat the fixing part will be inevitable.

When you get ready to buy come back to the forum and ask lots of questions. Some very helpful and experienced members here that will be happy to help and might save you time, money and headaches.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 19:08   #4

Boat: hunter 376

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good plan. We started on our Hunter 31, and found it roomy and comfortable, but it lacks the weight and heft to plow through heavier seas, so something a bit larger might be in order for those Alaskan waters. I would not even consider a full keel, since a fin keel is considerably easier to handle and maneuver under power. Handling a sailing vessel under power in tight anchorages and marinas seems to be almost universally the most stressful and intimidating part of learning to sail so any advantage is a benefit.
Cheers,
David
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 16:38   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here. You've mentioned having day sailed a bit and if you haven't taken a basic sailing class I'd recommend that.
A mid 30s sized boat would be plenty for a couple but some of them can be 40 feet long if there is a bowsprit or anchor roller and a self steering windvane added. A 40 foot slip should accomodate most. In your area and if you don't plan to take the boat to tropical waters I'd even recommend a wood boat if you were close enough to it to maintain it properly. They can be had for a bargain but you have to be dedicated to maintenance.
kind regards,
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19   #6

Thanks for the advice John.

We do plan to take a class as my experience is pretty stale and was in a 17 foot day saire in the Tampa Bay area.

Our choice of boats is going to be more limited than most everyone else on this site I would assume, simply based on my geography. I would like to find something with in a couple of hundred miles or so, and here that only covers a few small boat harbors.

There are two, that I have been eyeing posted on line, both in Valdez, each being in the 32' range about 40 LOA, and fall in the 20K to 30K price range. If they remain for sale another couple of months I will make a trip over there and take a first hand look. Both are fiberglass. Why do you recommend wood?

Any thoughts on having her primarily in the water through winter? Seward, where we would keep her, is ice free, but does get snow. We holiday there for weekends all year long, and it would be nice to use it as our cabin. I do see most boats in the water, but I have read about pulling them.

Regards,
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45   #7

At least you have a couple to look at. Let us know what they are so we can comment on them. If they are West Sail then they have a great deal of room compared to other designs.
I only suggested wood as an initial cost issue. My favorite is fiberglass. I've owend wood and if I were to move to the Northwest or Northeast I might consider wood again but never in the rainy tropics.
kind regards,
Old 01-04-2013, 14:57   #8

The two that seem like my best possabilities in the market are a 32' Weatherly. This is a full keel, and I think it is probably of 1983 vintage from the research I've done. The owner seems to have invested a fair amount into electronics as well as maintnance, at least that is what the ad indicates. Interestingly It has a stern that is bow shaped which I thought might be an advantage in the waters I would spend the vast majority of my time in, I would expect frequent following seas returning to port, which could be moderate or better with little notice. It is a familiar area to me as a kayaker. The second is a 32' Ray Richards Cheoy Sloop, vintage 1979, again this boat seems to be cared for with a fair amount of recent maintnance detailed in the ad.
Old 01-04-2013, 15:44   #9

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...a-40886-3.html is a thread that starts to talk about the Weatherly in post number 35. It might be worth reading.
The stern is a canoe stern or commonly referred to as a double-ender.
I'll check a bit on the other boat you mentioned.
kind regards,
Old 01-04-2013, 15:52   #10

Here's some data on the Cheoy Lee (Richards) from sailboatdata.com. OFFSHORE 32 (RICHARDS) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

It would be a faster boat and if they were both in the same condition and had inboard diesel engines I'd choose the Cheoy Lee. It will have more interior space. It really depends on which boat makes you fall in love her when you go aboard though so you really have to check them out personally.

The Weatherly would take you anywhere in any condition but so could the Cheoy Lee but in a real heavy blow the Weatherly would be a more comfortable ride.

As is with any boat. They don't have all features in one boat and you have to give up something to get something else.

kind regards,
Old 01-04-2013, 16:08   #11

Thanks for all of your good input John. I hope to make my way to Valdez where both are located to see them in person. Hopefully they will remain available for a little longer.

Regards,
Old 02-04-2013, 11:27   #12

I did happen to see those boats on craigslist. I would say that they did look good. Always hire a marine surveyor before buying just to be safe and not have any surprises. Once you get down to where most the boats are you may find others for sale too.
Good luck in your boat shopping. It is a lot of fun.
kind regards,
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23   #13

Thanks John,

At this stage it seems more frightening than fun Glad you think they look decent from the ads. I will definately get a survey for anything we are serious about. I would like to avaoid taking on a big project at the get go, Im certain they all get there in time.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:34   #14

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

Was up in Seward 2 years ago in July, and there were quite a few sailboats out. I met a guy who had just got back into town, having sailed a boat up through the Canal from Florida. He said there was a good sized sailing community in Seward. I certainly saw plenty of boats at the marina. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39   #15

Seward is a beautiful place, and best for me it is a short two hour drive from Anchorage so makes for an easy get away. Hope you make it back up again.

There are a decent amount of sailboats down there, considering the size of the community. I'm sure once I get a boat in the water, I will be able to connect with a good group who can help me get my feet wet.

Tags
novice, purchase