Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2008, 22:41   #1

Boat: 1977 Hunter 27
Send a message via Skype™ to bergenser1
Not a US Citizen, European, I want a Captains License!!

How are you all doing
I (and my wife) are legal residents here in the US, whe will probably have our Greencards within the next 3-6 monts, but since I am not a US citizen, I have no way of obtaining a US Captains license. Can anybody give me some advice how to obtain a British license? I hear that that is actually a good thing to have over an American licence, all advice would be fantastic!!! By the way, I am a Norwegian Citizen.
bergenser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 02:11   #2

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Try this page. Look for i.e. YACHTMASTERS

RYA - www.rya.org.uk - RYA Yacht Cruising
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 05:20   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I'm looking to do some/all of that course. So far as I can see there are no shortcuts but check the RYA site, they may allow other qualifications.
Best course I've found so far is 8,500 sterling for a three month full time course straight through to Ocean Skipper. UK and Med.
Pay back is to be paid to crew other people boats I suppose. But do check with her admiralness before booking.
Old 18-03-2008, 07:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Just curious, do you want the license so you can take passengers for hire or for other reasons? There are certificates you can get such as from ASA that will get you in the door as far as getting some sort of credential that makes it easier to charter a boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 08:14   #5

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
The RYA courses are much more in depth than the ASA courses (I have taken both). The RYA has both a theory and a practical part. If your goal is to feel qualified for coastal cruising then the Yachtmaster level is what you should start with. You can take the theory part by correspondence course from a couple of good schools in the UK. This is what I did while living in Belgium. Then you can take the practical part at a number of RYA qualified schools (but I think there are only a couple in the US). The next level is the Yachtmaster Ocean, which includes celestial navigation. Look at the RYA website for lots of good information.
Jim
Old 18-03-2008, 08:35   #6

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
reminder: if you intend to sit for either the yachtmaster or USCG captain's license, your log must be in shape and must reflect the proper minimum number of journeys and sea miles before you can sit for the exams. if you intend to operate a commercial vessel in the US , i don't know whether there is reciprocity between USCG captain's and Yachtmaster Ocean. you may want to find this about before spending all the $$$$ for the yachtmaster....
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 09:03   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
reminder: if you intend to sit for either the yachtmaster or USCG captain's license, your log must be in shape and must reflect the proper minimum number of journeys and sea miles before you can sit for the exams. if you intend to operate a commercial vessel in the US , i don't know whether there is reciprocity between USCG captain's and Yachtmaster Ocean. you may want to find this about before spending all the $$$$ for the yachtmaster....
Your seatime requirement is determined by the number of days within the past five years.

I don't think the USCG has any reciprocity agreements.

A non-citizen may obtain a license:
"Aliens applying for an MMD must present acceptable documentary evidence from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) that the alien is lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence."

USCG New Mariner Licensing

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 03:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
... A non-citizen may obtain a license:
"Aliens applying for an MMD must present acceptable documentary evidence from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) that the alien is lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence."
USCG New Mariner Licensing
A United States Permanent Resident will have a (so-called) Green Card.
Permanent Resident (Green Card)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
license