Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01   #1

Boat: San Juan 21, Simplicity
No Longer Dreaming

I've dreamed of sailing for over ten years. I started small with a San Juan 21. I got a great deal and have most of the repairs finished. My family thinks i'm crazy. My mom thinks the boats to small to live on. I told her that i'm going to use the boat to live IN the world. I've done many things that others called extreme or crazy. I call it living. My sj21 is a place to begin. I've done my research and as far as i'm concerned its the smart route. Small and now is better than big and later. If anyone cruises a small craft and has pointers im a sponge for knowledge. I post some pics of my boat later.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:16   #2

Try http://onkudu.wordpress.com/ and Bigoceans | Tiny Boat for some inspiration.

I wouldn't say you're crazy. In fact, 20 years ago I might have done the same if I knew then what I know now. These days I need a little more comfort...
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:30   #3

Boat: Boatless
You have lots of time to to sail to Key West for Fantasy Fest, send Mom the pics then she will realize how normal her son really is.

Good luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:46   #4

My first boat was a SJ21. Had a lot of fun in that boat. They are light and move well. Definitely a boat you want to stay on the inside passage with unless the weather is pretty nice. (large cockpit, no deep bilge) Be sure to put a bilge pump in somewhere as low as possible. Make sure the pintles and gudgeons that hold the rudder on are in good shape, or even upgrade the size. Adjust the rig so there is a little bend in the mast (aft at the top) this will keep the mainsail flat when it blows. If the board that fills your companionway is one piece, cut it so the bottom foot or so is separate... then you can drop it in if you take some water in the cockpit.There is a lot more, but we dont know your sailing experience.. should be a very fun boat to "be in the world with" especially if you go down in the Keys.... those boats draw almost nothing! You should be able to tuck in where no one goes! I was anchored in my boat in the San Juan Islands the morning Mount Saint Helens blew up.... it was 100 miles away but actually shook the hull from the loud noise...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:58   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
As Waylon Jennings said, "I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.." Hey have fun with it. Start slow and work your way into bigger passages. Don[t know the boat well but SJ have a good reputaion.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 12:03   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Hah, my first boat was a Catalina 22 fin keeler so mine was larger than yours for living aboard (parttime). It was a great experience and a wonderful learning experience. Good luck.
Regards,