Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-05-2008, 21:47   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha,
Welcome aboard! Looks like you've got lots of responses so I won't weight in. There are a gret deal of boat recommendations and I too like Catalinas. 27s are not out of your price range and would provide lots of space for you and the kids. I don't know if they come with a shoal keel.
Kind Regards,
JohnL

Old 27-06-2008, 19:13   #17

I sail off the NJ coast, and a boat that I would recommend for Barnegat in your price range (but only in Barnegat for very short excursions onto the Atlantic) would be an S2. Relatively inexpensive in comparison to Columbia's and Hunters and such, and just the right size. They do often have deck problems though. GL

Old 27-06-2008, 21:39   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An inboard engine of any kind could punch a hole in a $10k budget if it was in any kind of decent condition. To stay low-maintenance AND low price, I'd have to say a smaller boat like a 26' with outboard was more likely. Although a good deep-shaft outboard can be pricey, the inboard is going to be way more, so the boat price will be way higher. Four kids may require a large cockpit to keep them all out from underfoot, and large cockpits generally run contrary to a big rigged for single-handing. Odds are some of the kids will want to go below out of the sun to nap from time to time, or you'll want to stash the youngest below for safety at times, making 28-30 feet a better choice--but much harder to do in that budget.

Insurance, bottom painting, hauling and launching...and that's all just routine care without looking at the maintenance issues. Good hunting!
Old 28-06-2008, 17:28   #19

by the way...

eBay Motors: S2 27' Performance Cruiser w/ Diesel in Good Condition! (item 220250987305 end time Jul-07-08 17:00:00 PDT)

I have no connection to the listing.
Old 28-06-2008, 21:06   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The S2 might or might not be a bargain:
"Decks were found average, offering some areas of elevated moisture and localized minor to mid ranged compromised soundings." Translation: There is moisture damage in the deck and some recoring is needed.
Also, from the pictures it is apparent that the cabin windows have all been heavily gooped with silicon seal, meaning they need to be removed and rebedded and there are water leaks and water damage, also shown on the port bulkhead on the interior.
Its nice to see they want "substantially" less than the appraised value, it would be nicer still if they opened with a price instead of a hidden reserve. There's no way you can bid on a bid that has been a yard queen for seven years, without examining it beforehand. Especially for structural water damage from being ignored for all that time.
Old 29-06-2008, 04:41   #21

My reason for providing the link was to give him some idea of an S2, that one may not be particularly worthwhile, but hes not getting into a boat that size on that budget without a list of things that need fixing...
Old 29-06-2008, 14:43   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well said!
Old 29-06-2008, 15:33   #23

This one may be worth watching...

eBay Motors: 1980 30ft Catalina Sailboat ONLINE BLOWOUT SALE (item 170234190301 end time Jul-05-08 23:30:00 PDT)

though as Hellosailor pointed out by way of inference... you must go out and crawl all over any boat before purchasing, and the really unpleasant stuff to deal with are soft decks and replacing deadlights. If it were me (and it was once), I would pick a manufacturer with a good long history of quality, and begin my search there. I might also wait the season out, and apply the additional money you were able to squirrel away into a purchase sometime over the winter. Though the market is a good one for buyers now... it is almost always better in the dead of winter.
Old 29-06-2008, 16:25   #24

Boat: 1989 Ericson 28
If you can find one...

Joined this forum just to answer this (and later to ask my own questions). My wife and I started sailing with no experience in '96. We looked at several boats, one being a Catalina 27, another was a Hunter. We chose a 1982 Ericson 25+. Although 2 feet shorter, the Ericson claims to have 6' of headroom in the salon, making it quite liveable for a couple of adults. I am just about 6' tall, and I could stand even in the head. (I could also close the door behind me.) That may not seem a big deal, but cruising is more fun if you don't have to stoop when goind down below. It's construction seemed to be just a notch above the other production boats we saw. We put many miles under her keel, and when we gave her up, it was for an Ericson 28. My wife really wanted the water heater and the roller furling! In any case, they are well made boats, fast and quite comfortable for their size. I believe draft was about 4'. The Ericson literature also claimed that it was designed to be trailerable, but every review I read about the boat indicated that was "pushing it". Check them out if you get the chance.
Old 29-06-2008, 19:17   #25

mac 25

there are lots of these in your area going very cheap, i purchased mine in margate south jersey for 2000 bucks, in great shape and the swing keel is great for shallow areas. I am new to sailing and am told by alot of experienced sailors you loose alot of performance with the swing keel, but I love it, is trailerable, easy to set up, and performs good enough for me. as well i get into those little coves and such with the keel up. hope this helps

bn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: