Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2008, 01:21   #1

Newly registerd ,, long time guest

Hi All

I have been reading the forums as a guest for atleast 18 months now.
So far the information here has been invaluble to me in making plans for our impending circumnavigation. I must admit sometimes information overload occured as many inderviduals have strong opinions on things like mono vs multi etc etc,, in the end I take in all the advice and adapt it to suite our personal requirements.

so here is the basics that we have settled on.

Firstly its just me and my wife on the trip,, its the honeymoon we never had
We are wanting to buy a multihull 40-45 ft, I have been watching the prices of catamarans for a long time, BTW we are in New Zealand but have the option to buy and start our trip in Australia ( Comments??)

After looking at prices it seems that there is a lot of value in used trimarans and is likely the way we will go,, they seem to be almost half the price of a cat of similar size.

Comments on what age, setup, type sould be looked at or avoided would be appriciated.

New Zealand has strict requirements for localy registerd yachts and skippers, such as Cat 1 and indevidual skills for departure. Does Austrailia have similar requirements? what are the international standards if any,, or what skills and safety are required from most ports that we would visit around the world.
does anybody have any thoughts on tossing out the good old diesel in favor of electric motors?

We are currently cashing up our land based assets, hopefully we will be ready in the next 18 months max. Our approxamate budget for the Tri is NZ$ 200k,, anyone want to trade for land??

I will direct more questions at the apropriate forums.

Thanks for all the good info so far.

It is better to regret things you have done than regreting thing that you havent done.
pacificdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 20:36   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Pacific,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. Your choice is 4 to 9 feet longer than I would choose and has an extra hull or two. That doesn't make it the wrong choice just different from what I would get. Let us know when you find your dream.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote