Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 15:05   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Newbie with a Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I’m not crazy enough to drill holes in our toothbrush handles. We simply cut off half the handles.

I also pluck out half of the bristles but then I'm hardcore.
Old 01-09-2019, 18:02   #17

You got a Horstman in trade for a Jeep Wrangler? Good for you! Horstman tris are the ultimate in my opinion.
oscoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 22:39   #18

Hey sheepdogShaun checking in to see how progress is on your boat? Any updates? Thanks.
Ajlawson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 23:34   #19

Boat: Unknown 39' Trimaran

This whole situation has kind of slowed things down but I've started going back down there on weekends. The weather didn't help either. It's also been a pain to get paint and primer and my wife was laid off. She's now got enough side gigs going on and I was given access to a pro account at West Marine which let me get started again without paying an arm and leg. Now that this marine supply distribution place is open again, I'm supposed to go down and buy 10 quarts of primer this week.

The port side hull needs 1 more coat of bilgekote and i dont think any of the wood needs replacing. A couple spots could use a little epoxy filler after i sanded out some rotten wood but nothing too bad. The starboard hull is sanded down and 1/3 of it has 1 coat of primer. Found a little section up front that is going to need to be cut out and replaced from it delaminating. I pulled apart the benches and cut access to other areas that were covering access to the hull. The center hull is half sanded and I started giving the yanmar a little attention too.

It was windy enough on Sunday where i was actually able to give the cable on the main sail a nice whip and cleared it off the spreader which it's been stuck on from the day we got her. Next dead winded day that I'm down there, I'm going to raise the main and see what we got going on!

A couple buddies came down this weekend and seems like we made a good amount of progress. Im thinking still YEARS from sailing and definitely wont make the goal of motoring around for 4th of July. Looking more like the 8 year plan to be done and maybe 6 months-1 year before motoring worthy if things don't really pick up.

We acquired a 13' boston whaler though as our new dinghy and will hopefully be spending more time down as things are opening back up and weather gets better.
SheepdogShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:13   #20

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Actually, regarding painting bilges. There is a lot to using clear epoxy and a coat of clear varnish instead of bilge paint.
Bilge paint stems from the times before epoxy.

If you use epoxy and perhaps a coat of varnish (not really necessary as there is hardly any UV under the floorboards) you can see any rot or wood degradation earlier on.
Paint in the bilges prevents this.

Works for us.
Old 09-06-2020, 21:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepdogShaun View Post
This whole situation has kind of slowed things down but I've started going back down there on weekends. The weather didn't help either. It's also been a pain to get paint and primer and my wife was laid off. She's now got enough side gigs going on and I was given access to a pro account at West Marine which let me get started again without paying an arm and leg. Now that this marine supply distribution place is open again, I'm supposed to go down and buy 10 quarts of primer this week.

The port side hull needs 1 more coat of bilgekote and i dont think any of the wood needs replacing. A couple spots could use a little epoxy filler after i sanded out some rotten wood but nothing too bad. The starboard hull is sanded down and 1/3 of it has 1 coat of primer. Found a little section up front that is going to need to be cut out and replaced from it delaminating. I pulled apart the benches and cut access to other areas that were covering access to the hull. The center hull is half sanded and I started giving the yanmar a little attention too.

It was windy enough on Sunday where i was actually able to give the cable on the main sail a nice whip and cleared it off the spreader which it's been stuck on from the day we got her. Next dead winded day that I'm down there, I'm going to raise the main and see what we got going on!

A couple buddies came down this weekend and seems like we made a good amount of progress. Im thinking still YEARS from sailing and definitely wont make the goal of motoring around for 4th of July. Looking more like the 8 year plan to be done and maybe 6 months-1 year before motoring worthy if things don't really pick up.

We acquired a 13' boston whaler though as our new dinghy and will hopefully be spending more time down as things are opening back up and weather gets better.
Thanks or the update. It’s always nice to hear about other people’s projects and goals. Good work getting your friends in there and getting some solid work done. Sounds like your goals are realistic and you and your wife are prepping for a major adventure. Keep up the good work man.
Ajlawson2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran