Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2011, 19:00   #1
JAK

Newbie from the Northeast

Hi out there,

new to the forum and wanted to do my introduction.
Have been trying to get out sailing as much as possible during the last couple of years, but still consider myself a newbie with too many unanswered questions.

Currently hoping to buy a Bristol 27 or Triton in 2012, and there they are again... all these nagging questions...

Would be my first boat, and the things and systems to understand and deal with seem overwhelming.

Looking forward to learn & chat on the forum.
JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 19:03   #2

Re: Newbie from the North-East

Welcome aboard JAK
This is the place to find answers to your question and lots of good advice

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 19:06   #3
JAK

Thanks ShaunJ,

will get my questions together...
Old 30-10-2011, 19:13   #4

JAK
Many questions have been asked on this forum. If you know what you are looking for, try searching for the answer. There are many threads to check out. Just click on the search button and try advanced search for specific topics. That is how I got a good start on this forum. If you don't see anything on your question, just start a new thread and the answers will come.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 14:11   #5

Boat: Oyster 53
Re: Newbie from the Northeast

JAK,
Welcome. Think hard about what you want the boat for. How will she really be used? A boat that is good for entertaining at the dock won't take you across the ocean (unless you spend a lot of money). Buy the boat for the trip.
Check out the website Yachtworld. Just about any boat listed globally is there and it will give you an idea of what is out there and how much it costs. Entertaining and educational.
You think you know which boat you want now but after more research don't be surprised if it changes to something different - that's the fun part.
Cheers.
Dhillen
Old 31-10-2011, 15:26   #6
JAK

Dhillen,

thank you.
I am not married to the B27 or the Triton, and am fully willing to change my mind if I see something that fits my "as-of-now-requirements":

- Less than US$ 1oK, actually more like $6500
- Stable coastal cruiser (Long Keel) less than 30'
- No Trans Atlantic Passages, but one day NYC to Block Island?
-Must look like a boat (aka lines designed before 1980)
- No complete structural rebuild but lots of work expected.
-Inboard Diesel if possible.

-No "On-the-dock" entertainment planned...

The Bristol 27 or the Pearson Triton seem to fit those somehow.

Would love a Nordic Folkboat but there are not many around over here...Danmark/Sweden would be a different story, but transport would be several thousand beers.

I like Yachtworld, but it seems rather the higher end boats.
They have a beautiful B27, but it's $12,000+...beyond my limits.

There is still so much to figure out that I can't be fixed on one or two boats yet, but after looking around, reading and sniffing around Marinas I think I get an idea what I've in mind.

Cape Dory 25D? Nice, but rarely available for less than 10K...

Nonetheless, thank you for your input.

Cheers,
JAK
Old 31-10-2011, 15:59   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

JAK--it is a buyer's market right now, despite whatever boat brokers tell you. Get in touch with the owners and make an offer that you can afford and makes sense for the boat. You might be surprised, especially in this season, how many people are willing to deal. Long ago someone told me that you have to figure out how much a boat is worth to you and offer that much--if the owner rejects it, so be it, there are other boats out there to look at. In fact, right now there are lots of boats in that size/price range to look at. Check out Soundings for a good selection of NE boats, also BoatUS ads--not so many, but usually good boats in my experience. Also, Craigs List is good for lower-end boats in the Northeast. Plus, depending on where you live, it is fun to prowl around the boatyards looking for signs or just asking around--a lot of folks are interested in selling, but haven't gotten around to listing the boat yet. They figure they'll sell the boat in the spring.
Old 31-10-2011, 17:32   #8
JAK

Kettlewell,

thanks for your input, especially about Soundings and BoatUS, two things I did not have on my radar yet.

I like sailboatlistings.com, and I've seen some NE listings on sailingtexas.com.

Craigslist also works pretty well for me, I've been using it as a learning tool, insofar that I actually went out to see some local boats in NY and NJ.
I had been reading for example, about rotten cores in decks many times, but it was quite eyeopening to see a rotten core in person...
They guy called it: "Not a Project boat"...Yup.

I also believe / see that deals can be made these days, but I will only be ready to make my move in 2012, the 2011 budget is all planned out unfortunately.

Until then I still have a ton of learning and understanding ahead of me. So if anybody in the NYC area is taking apart their Diesel the coming weekends and doesn't mind a helping hand with a couple of questions, let me know.

I was actually wondering if it would be ok to make people offers for their boat, even if they are not "For Sale"?

There is a sweet B27 around here, but than again: see above, have to wait until '12. Wife will not appreciate if I come home with a boat just yet.

I also would appreciate some Brooklyn / Queens specific info in terms of Marinas, Winter-storage, Surveyers, Diesel Mechanics and Spray-painting Pros.

(I kind of want to do a survey even on a $4000 boat, but at ~$800-1000, that seems semi-counterproductive; any input appreciated here)

Already good to be on this forum!

JAK
Old 31-10-2011, 17:52   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I understand your budget and time frame, but the deals are better in the fall and winter. In the spring prices go up or stay higher when everybody is shopping. Unfortunately, the NYC area is very high priced for most everything boat related. Connecticut is just as bad. Up the Hudson you can find some more reasonable yards and places to work on your boat. There are some reasonable moorings for rent in Hyde Park, for example. Get Boating on the Hudson and peruse some of the ads--lots of boats for sale up there too. I think there's an online version of the magazine. Much better prices and selection down in the Chesapeake or even in Rhode Island and Mass. Core will be a problem on a very high percentage of older boats--if they have balsa core chances are nearly 100% there will be problems somewhere. A survey shouldn't be that much on a sub-30 boat. I would think more like $400 for a full survey.
Old 31-10-2011, 18:08   #10
JAK

I thought so. Unfortunately that might mean that I'll only be ready Fall/Winter 2012...

RI, MA and to a certain extend Long Island seem good hunting grounds to buy a boat, my main concern is where I can keep the boat close enough to where I live so I can work on it in the evenings...no much use if the boat is 50 miles away...
especially with the traffic over here I'll never get out there on a Tuesday night after work...
There are a couple of places around but I'd need some info,
what works and what doesn't...

thanks again.

sorry need to bring the kid to bed...
Old 31-10-2011, 19:11   #11
JAK

Alright, parental duties taken care off.

So as I said before, what drives me nuts is:
Where do I keep my boat in the city?

There are generally 2.5 options:

On the Atlantic Side, Sheepshead Bay, Marine Gateway etc. The big plus is I can go by subway whenever I have time.
It just wouldn't be the greatest sailing area for the summer.

In Queens, only realistic way to get there is by car, but entering the LI Sound, more interesting waters to sail.

The half option would be LI, even further out, but nicer and potentially cheaper? Wishful thinking?
Summer only, makes no sense for work winters..

Any City sailors?
Is splitting up Winter storage and summer keep an option? Or will that cause extra expenses?
Work & Storage in Brooklyn, mooring it in the Sound; City Island or Little Neck Bay?

Should live on Cape Cod or in Maine...or Copenhagen for that matter...

The core problem:
I am expecting some issues, and think/hope I could deal with some. The guy I mentioned earlier had screw-glued a teak deck on his boat, without over-sizing and epoxy filling any screw holes, the deck was virtually perforated,
parts of the interior fiberglass layer missing. In my limited understanding you would have had to fix the core from the inside. Or rip the teak off and redo the whole deck. Too much for my taste.

Survey:
Good to hear that $400+/- would be realistic. If that's the case I'll definitely have one done once I am there.
Old 05-11-2011, 19:50   #12

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 21:34   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Of the two boats you mentioned, Triton is a world cruiser. Had several sail over here from the west coast.
Check out the links after my signature and see if you can find a copy of the book recommendation there too.
I like the International Folkboats and nearly bought one 30 years ago. Our club has two of them and I sail one monthly. They are great sailers but have a very cramped interior and it is very unhandy to mount an outboard on them and the outboard well is really horrible.
Almost all of the folks here on the forum enjoy answering questions so ask away. Try to pick the right forum from those listed in the first line for quicker more direct replies.
kind regards,
Old 16-11-2011, 06:59   #14

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Hi JAK,
Welcome and good luck with the boat plans. Re the Folkboats from Europe - there was one sailed over in our ARC group in 2007 by two young guys. Think they took 22 days to get to St Lucia but arrived safe and sound despite the tail end of a hurricane for last few days.
So if you ever want one looked over in south coast UK, pm me.
Cheers
John
Old 16-11-2011, 08:00   #15
JAK

Hi SkiprJohn, Hi swagman,

thanks for your replies.
I have the book by Vigor: Twenty small sailboats to take you anywhere. Great book!

I've heard the Folkboat is truly cramped on the inside, can't help to love her anyway...

Sailing one over the Atlantic? Uuuhhh, I seriously doubt that I have the skills required for that, but it's a lovely thought nonetheless.

Still have to figure out the financing, trying to do as many second jobs as possible...

After looking at a boat this weekend I am rethinking the idea of buying a $5000 boat. Seems to me that the $10,000 ones are in far better shape, and that one would have to spend more than the difference to get the cheaper one in ok condition again.
Or I need to keep looking for the sweet little boat in the $5000 range that does not need new keel bolts and a recoring job...

Arrrrgh...even more night shifts....

Cheers,
J.