Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 17:18   #1

Newbie considering a year long cruise

I'm by all general definition a newbie...I have been sailing a.... macgregor 26x ...for the last 2 years (I'm sure that won't count as any experience in some sort eyes) and I've cruised the keys and icw and used the boat for its Intended purposes as a coastal cruiser and have learned along the way I feel the boat is fine for what I'm using it for now but it's planted a seed in me and my kids eyes about the possibility of a year long cruise in the exumas bvi etc etc the hardest part of this is finding a boat ...I'm starting my planning early probably 2 years out maybe longer but still can't figure out what boat would be a good liveaboard for 1 adult and 2 would be then teenage kids .... cherubini 37? Morgan oi41 jenn ginn fizz 40? As you can see my price range I'm wanting is around 50k
I THINK I've narrowed it down to a morgan oi41 vs a ginn fizz 40 so need opinions which would u prefer of the two or any other suggestions for a year cruise around the bahamas exumas and slightly beyond
Whgoffrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 17:48   #2

Boat: Between S'pars
Re: Newbie considering a year long cruise

MULTI-HULL!

I don't have any recommendations in specific or particular brands, but with that budget ($50k) and starting so in advance you should have plenty of time to not only get some good recommendations, but actually some sailing time on the boats being considered- we can recommend all kinds of things, but really, for long-term use you ought to take any recommendations out and try them out for a day or so!

One thing I'd offer- have you considered a multi-hull? If I were going to cruise those areas, especially with kids, I'd look into an older Cat -Not only are they normally VERY shalow draft (perfect for that part of the world) but they're VERY safe (unless you plan to take on some serious hurricanes in the high latitudes, and even then...with experience... very safe)... but with the hulls you'd get more privacy for you, and the kids in the other one. That's something I'd think about for long-term and having teens aboard (we might not care as much, but teens really want their own spaces)!
Or maybe consider an older Trimaran -though they usually lack privacy for separate quarters until you get into the fairly larger ones (unless you go with a Jim Brown Searunner with the aft cabin-dinette, which with $50 you could really set up nice AND have plenty left over for cruising!)...

Those cruising grounds are PERFECT for multi-hulls. And you'll see TONS of them there- for a reason! Tons of deck space, privacy in the very separate cabins, and LOTS of room to lounge around, and VERY safe -and with their shallow draft, you can get ANYWHERE (even up on a beach!).

p.s.
You won't get a TON of difference between multi-hulls so not as strong need to go sailing in them (vs. monohulls), so it's more about layout and interiors -something that fits your needs and has the right accomodations.
Old 02-01-2017, 18:13   #3

I hadn't considered a cat because I didn't think I could find one in my low budget price range ...for 50k you can get get a decent cat?
Old 02-01-2017, 18:54   #4

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

A composite multihull would certainly give you bang for the buck in a shoal-draft sailboat. There are monohulls that can also fill the bill.
How about a Wharram like this:

As mentioned a Searunner 31 and up would fit 3 somewhat comfortably and more comfortably the larger you go.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 19:55   #5

Boat: Between S'pars
Affordable Mulithulls

a Searunner 31 would be, my guess, between $10k-$30k USD, with the upper range cost there being QUITE nice for a small boat like that- most I've seen on Yachtworld and SalboatListings are around $12-$15k USD average.

It would also depend on how modern and outfitted they are- you can get a $5k needing new everything to a $5million cat that you just step on (and comes with your own servant). They must come up for sale especially around those areas or on the mainlands adjacent to them (anywhere Mexico. USA, the S.American countries all ringing those cruising grounds).

We've been looking for a decent multi-hull but our needs are greater as we'll be going far more offshore- $30k USD was about minimum entry for a decently outfitted multi not needing all new major components, just some basics or a new rig. $50k USD should be plenty to get a sound Multi that's older and dated, but would fit your needs for those cruising grounds. If in a few years you want to head through Panama and then around the world (like us) you might need to then invest in some improvements and upgrades, but by then you'll know exactly what and how much from experience -and maybe your boat can do it as is!

I've run into quite a few young people over the years sailing on little 30'-36' cat's and tri's, bare-bones, on shoestring budgets, crossing the pacific back and forth -mostly happy-go-lucky type college age kids, but doing it and living the life- all on almost no money by my standards- a bucket head (get an Airhead composting toilet and come coconut bricks!) no AC or RF, basic VHF and GPS, and lots of suncreen -and a good liferaft.
Why not?

The kids would love it.
Old 02-01-2017, 20:19   #6

This definitely has opened my eyes to what is available I have never looked at any multi hulls.... never even heard of a searunner till now.... but the more I read the more I like...are they fairly easy to find????
Old 02-01-2017, 21:38   #7

Would say a 37 searunner have the same amount of room as a morgan oi41?
Old 02-01-2017, 21:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whgoffrn View Post
Would say a 37 searunner have the same amount of room as a morgan oi41?
Not even close. In general, catamarans, monohulls, and lastly trimarans, in that order for space.
Something like a Prout (Event or even Snowgoose) could probably be found in the price range, and then be resold for similar.

Cross trimarans are worth a look, as well, if you're serious about trimarans.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Whgoffrn.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:18   #10

Ty and it looks like if I went the multihull route it would probably be an old gemini then .... which do you think would be better an old gemini vs morgan oi41 or gin fizz 37 or 40
Old 03-01-2017, 10:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whgoffrn View Post
Ty and it looks like if I went the multihull route it would probably be an old gemini then .... which do you think would be better an old gemini vs morgan oi41 or gin fizz 37 or 40
There are too many good candidate boats to fill the requirements. The Mahina list is a good place to start, but I think they do a much better analysis of monohulls than they do multihulls:
Mahina Expeditions - Offshore Cruising Instruction

If you're looking for a multihull, you can get a lot more value for your money by considering "composite" boats, especially when looking in the under $50K market.

Clearance height for the water to travel between the hulls is an important consideration. Geminis don't have enough (just my opinion). Compare with a model from Sailcraft, for example (old British catamaran design).

I'm guessing you're finding the Morgan on sailboatlistings.org.
Here's one to consider off the same site that would be a solid boat for the Bahamas:
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/62737

Quality construction, although a bit cramped for three, although doable.
Old 03-01-2017, 15:16   #12

I appreciate the input...couple questions 1 I did see the gemini 105 in that list ....from a brief couple hours reading up i thought I seen the 105 was just a newer tiniest bit longer version of the 3000 or 3200?? Is that true and also keep in mind I highly doubt I would try the circumnavigation.... I have no desire to see anything outside of exumas turks Caicos and Caribbean so I'm not sure how much of a "blue water" boat I'd need ... I looked up some prouts and some seem within my price range though
Old 03-01-2017, 22:38   #13

The Prouts, Catalacs, Heavenly Twins, etc... were built to be sturdy in stronger seas. The Geminis were designed for coastal cruising, although at least one has circumnavigated.
If you've been in rough waters, you really want to have confidence in your boat. I'd rather err on the side of safety by having a brickhouse of a boat. I'd sail anything in good weather on a bay.
There are certain issues to look out for on any boat, but with Geminis, they're kind of lightly built. Having said that, you'd probably be just fine with a Gemini.
It's a good idea to get a ride on whatever you're thinking of buying though. Different boats really do handle differently.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:26   #14

So we have prouts heavenly twins catalacs....if it's not too much to ask for could u give me a handful of other makes to start looking at I don't know the first thing about multihull as I just always assumed their price would put them out of reach but if I can find a blue water cat (I think the trimaran probably wouldn't have enough room) I'd greatly appreciate it if u could give me a list of a handful of cats you think would work for me
Old 04-01-2017, 05:14   #15

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I would not suggest you look at a Gemini.. They just aren't enough boat for that trip. Actually, this past season, one was lost crossing over to Bimini and another one floundered (was saved) on the crossing to DR (I assisted in that mayday call).

I would also be very careful with the suggestion of a multihull. IMHO your initial feeling that they are out of your budget is VERY true. Personally, I don't know of any multihull for sale in good enough shape to make that trip. Sure, you might find an old Prout or Catalac or Iroquois at or near that price, but it will be in abysmal shape.

Personally I wouldn't chase a phantom and I would go back to researching good sound monohulls to make that trip. A good solid monohull is definitely doable on your budget.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise