Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2007, 20:30   #1

Newbee in search of wisdom

Hello all. My wife and I are planning to retire soon and would love to go cruising. We have done 1 week sailing course in BVI which was awsome.

We have a million questions but would like to start with asking for your input regarding monohulls vers multihulls as a platform for cruising. I havnt searched the whole site so if this type of question has been addressed on other threads feel free to point us in the right direction.

I have been looking at all types of configuration of boat and I like the layout of the Morgan/catalina 46 center cockpit but would like your input as to the blue water quality of the later Morgan boats (after merge with Catalina) I like the center cockpit layout so we can trim and furl all the sails from the cockpit with roller furling as a saftey issue for short handed sailing. Any thoughts on this range of boats?

We look forward to being an active contributor to this forum (what I mean is I intend to ask a great deal of question I hope you wont mind)

Paul
cloudman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 21:03   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Welcome aboard. Spend a few hours perusing the various areas of the forum and you will find all of your questions have been asked and answered, in detail, at least once (ok, this might not be 100% true all the time, but close enough).

Hope youenjoy your stay though
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 23:34   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Paul,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy the forum. You do have a lot of searches to do on the forum and you'll get many different opinions on what would be the best for cruising. I'll just start by saying I don't like center cockpits but there are plenty of folks who do. If I had it all to do again I would not buy a boat over 36 feet length on deck. I enjoy monohulls which is to say I don't enjoy the feel of multihulls under my feet. I've sailed a lot on both but mostly on monohulls.
So, there you go. Hope you enjoy all the many opinions you'll read here.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 19:28   #4

Well SkipRJohn and I quite disagree as I have a 52 foot CC and my wife and I sailed it together for 6 years of full time cruising. Safe and sound and easy to handle at sea...and a nice aft stateroom which is great for the 80%+ time you are on the hook.
As to Catalina Morgans...they are not bluewater boats but are quite suitable for coastal cruising and the caribe via the thorny path. If I wanted to cross the Atlantic, I'd look at other boats. In CC bluewater boats of that size range you have:
Tayana, Moody, Kellypeterson, HR, Hylas, Passport,Oyster, Caliber and maybe a few others.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 21:52   #5

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34
welcome aboard

Hi
When I started serious boating ('76), I had many of the concerns you had. I had not really thought of where I would be sailing. Most stories in books and mags tell of storms and problems. Turns out most sailing is great fun, but not worthy of writing about because it is good waves and weather and everything is working. not much to write about. When I was deciding between multihull or mono, I was reading about people sailing the Pacific, rounding Cape Horn etc. That is not what we will do. We sail the Bahamas, Carribean and coastal waters of the US. You are always within a day of a good ducking in place. What is important, is what will the boat do at anchor? That is where you want to be 95% of the time. Lots of places we went from BVI to Grenada would not be fun anchored in a monohull boat but were great in a cat. I have sailed both, and the actual sailing is more exilerating on the monohull (but slower) but I like to go places more than I like to sail, so sailing level, fast, but not exciting to get to a fun place and anchor comfortably is what is really important to us. That is why we have a multi.
Fair winds and low waves.
Stan
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:48   #6

Stan summed it up very well. The first question you need to ask is whether you are serious about crossing oceans. If not, then there is no good reason to restrict yourself to so called bluewater boats. Nothing wrong with having one, but you do not need a true bluewater boat to cruise the Bahamas/Caribbean. And, most of the boats being actively cruised in those waters are common mass produced cruiser class boats.

Do not underestimate the importance of live-aboard comfort. Your needs, demands, and expectations are personal to you. But no mattter where and how you cruise, 90% of the time you spend on your boat will likely be at anchor. If your boat doesn't make that a comfortable and enjoyable experience, then ....... well, you got the wrong boat no matter how bombproof it is at sea.

Welcome Aboard
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:52   #7

Stan summed it up very well. The first question you need to ask is whether you are serious about crossing oceans. If not, then there is no good reason to restrict yourself to so called bluewater boats. Nothing wrong with having one, but you do not need a true bluewater boat to cruise the Bahamas/Caribbean. And, most of the boats being actively cruised in those waters are common mass produced cruiser class boats. Do not underestimate the importance of live-aboard comfort. Your needs, demands, and expectations are personal to you. But no mattter where and how you cruise, 90% of the time you spend on your boat will likely be at anchor. If your boat doesn't make that a comfortable and enjoyable experience, then ....... well, you got the wrong boat no matter how bombproof it is at sea.

Welcome Aboard
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc