Originally Posted by Greenhand
I kind of sort of want to know...Maybe. I mean, the practical side of me wants to know!
Well, my opinion after a few years of working on the boat including pulling all the externals off the engine, new motor
mounts, etc, like everything on a boat there are pluses and minuses.
- engine access is very good.
- engine placed so weight is in the center of the boat.
- more compact installation
so takes less room from the living space
- shorter prop shaft
- one more part (the v-drive) to repair, maintain and replace if it breaks
- access to the stuffing box is doable but awkward
- access to the shaft log you have to jack up the engine
- alignment could be a bit tricky (haven't gotten there yet so ask me in a few months)
Probably a few more but these are the ones that jump out at me at the moment.
So do I love it? Well I don't completely hate it. If I had two identical boats, one with a reverse engine/v-drive setup and one standard I would take the standard. But I wouldn't make a v-drive setup a deal breaker (obviously since I went and bought one).