Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:52   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Newb Looking for Advice on Budget Liveaboard Cruiser and Such . . .

A boat with an engine in very good condition is a plus. It is easy to buy new sail, but it is not quite such an easy thing to replace an engine ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:14   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post

There are a number of boat brands that will work for you, the most important factor is for you to start out with a boat that is "structurally" sound; solid hull, good standing rigging, good steering, etc. You can always add-on extra anchors, batteries, new sails, etc. The condition of the individual boat is more important that which brand (within limits).

(...)
I could not agree more.

My mini-list reads:
- strong and sound hull,
- strong and sound rigging,
- strong and sound steering,
- a good engine a plus (if engine to be used),

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:29   #18

Along with the other great advice, get a book called "sailing the Farm" for sustainable grub while away. I started with a 27' Catalina (1972 model) and after a fit of foot-itis got a 43' Bruce Roberts. Lived for several years on both and realized more room = more crap you really don't need. The Catalina was put under extreme stress many times and though I had my moments of doubt, the damned thing pulled me through. If I were single again, I would look hard at a 27', but I don;t know about the construction of new boats. Very pretty at the shows does not count in 50+ knots with 25' seas, and less room in the salon means shorter distances to fly through the air before hitting something hard.
Look long and reduce your cargo, then do it again. Then look hard again.
Best of luck,
klt
kerrythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Newb looking for advice on budget liveaboard cruiser and such...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
I'm glad you all mentioned to try and find a boat in good working order with the features I'd want, because I wasn't sure if it might end up being cheaper to just find a junker and retrofit it to my liking, but from what you all are saying, it sounds like that isn't likely to save me any money in the long run.
No a junker is not going to be cost effective. On the other hand you will have to get lucky to find a boat that doesn't need a fair bit of work to bring up to offshore condition.

Getting lucky will mean taking a lot longer to look for the boat and traveling a lot to visit marinas that might have abandoned boats they want to get rid of, regularly checking out Craigslist for all the areas withing driving range.

Speaking of time. I would suggest pushing back your departure plan. Atlantic hurricane season is technically Jun 1 to Nov 30, with the peak being Aug-Oct inclusive.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, cruiser, liveaboard