Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2007, 18:42   #1

New website; www.theslapdash.com

Hi everyone,

It's been a long road, but we are finally underway. Check out our story at theslapdash.com

Talk to you soon!

Seth and Jaime
slapdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 20:31   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Seth and Jaime,
Welcome aboard!! Hope the rest of your cruising goes better than yesterday's.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 04:13   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Hello Seth and Jamie.

Did you ever read about the bumfuzzles? bumfuzzle.com

The bought a cat and blogged their way around the world.
Old 30-09-2007, 04:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Best of luck to you, Slapdash.

As CSY Man implies, Seth and Jaime’s plan <theslapdash.com/id22.html> looks familiar:

"Having never gone all the way around the world before, we don't know all that much about circumnavigations. Having never sailed before, we don't know all that much about sailboats. We will just have to sort these little details out along the way. Call us naive, you probably already are, but we think it's really quite simple. Sell all our stuff, sell our house, quit our jobs, say goodbye to friends and family, fly to Florida, buy a boat, figure out how it works, point it West and keep going until we get back to where we started from ...”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 05:55   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Aye to be young and naive again...

Guess we all have been there.

I read the comments on the web page about getting a "certified tonnage surveyor" so as to get the cat registred in Canada.

Tonnage in this case is probably interior volume, not weight or displacement. It is from the old days and had to do with how many tuns of wine ya could carry.

The US Coast Guard does the volume measuring in the US for the purpose of documenting the vessel. (Never heard of a tonnage surveyor in the US.)
See if the Canadian Government will accept the tonnage from a similar US boat that is documented by the Coast Guard. The volume should be the exact same.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 30-09-2007, 08:26   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Ouch!

Welcome to boat ownership. At least you have kept a stiff upper lip. The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude. (Bob Bitchin) You seem to have a down to earth attitude about all this. The biggest and best part is you decided to do it and you are out there. So many find every excuse not to get out there. Kudos to you two. The wife and I live on our Cat. (Prout 37 Snow Goose) it’ll be 4 years shortly. This time next year the boat will be paid off and we plan to start our adventure. Good luck and fair winds.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:34   #7

Thanks for the comments and the advice! CSY Man, I will check into that and see if our government will accept the USCG volume measure. Cheers!

Pa La O La, we looked at Prouts too; great boats but we couldn't find one in the right area/price. We read about another Canadian couple that did a similar trip "Sailing Promise", I think they were in a Prout. Apreciate the encouragment, that's exactly how we feel. We will get going and figure it out on the way... and know that part of it is as big as the trip itself.

Yes at this point in the game naivety is our secret weapon! I'm sure if we had any idea what we are in for we may never do it.

Reairs are nearly complete. The company took full responsability and have been great about everything. They put us up while the boat was on blocks, and now we are safe back in our slip (thankfully, the return trip was much less eventful). Stanchions are being fabricated now, and istalled tomorrow or the next day.

Amazing what a good craftsman can do with fiberglass, and we had a good one. Only complaint is the stow away ants that moved aboard while we were on the hard!

Should be underway as planned on the 8th...
slapdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:36   #8

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Looks like you plan on returning in 2011--that's when I'm planning on leaving. Good luck!
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 14:30   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
The last entry.

tuesday july 15th 2008 (pacific ocean, day eighteen)

Forced inactivity. We pass the time by playing cards, watching a movie or two, playing chess, listening to music, staring out the window, cooking, sleeping, or fishing. That’s about it.

For the past couple of days we’ve been cruising along with just our mainsail. The wind has been at this funny angle; not quite enough of an angle for a broad reach (the headsail keeps luffing) and just too much of an angle to run wing and wing. We could veer off to get a better angle but I really don’t think taking ourselves off course on a big tack just to get the headsail out will really gain us much. Right now we are right on the rhumb line and maintaining a 150 mile a day average so for the time being I guess we will continue to putter along with one sail up.

The wake still lets us know that we are in fact moving. Otherwise it would be like a drive in the prairies. No point of reference, the landscape far too immense to register any progress. Each new day looks like the last, and the next day probably won’t be any different.

Still waiting for a life altering experience.

Anybody know anything?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 11:23   #10

Boat: EndeavourCat 30
I had been catching up on their travels (very funny writers) and now the website is down. Anyone know what is going on??
talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 16:42   #11

I found them @ theslapdash.blogspot Had not looked in for a while, Guess I'll have to give it a look.

Gary
Old 26-07-2009, 16:47   #12

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa La O La View Post
I found them @ theslapdash.blogspot Had not looked in for a while, Guess I'll have to give it a look.

Gary
I cant find ANYTHING about cruising, sailing or much that matters on that blog...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 16:51   #13

Well I was thinking the same thing but I just started looking. I liked the old site but again I had not been to it in a while.

Gary
Old 26-07-2009, 17:58   #14

Boat: Telstar 28
I think that is not their blog. Their domain seems to be inactive. If I remember correctly this happened once before. Since last December they have been very erratic and the last post was a little cryptic.
noreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 18:07   #15

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa La O La View Post

Gary
I was checking on them from time to time but I can't make hide-nor-hair out of that site.

Maybe I am too old.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote