Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 21:56   #1

NEW TO THIS FORUM

LOOKING for best place to find anchorage and temporary layovers.
We are just north of Monterey Calif. and want to lay in for the winter.
A bay or inlet with free space to drop a hook would be nice. Is there such a thing anymore?
Also looking for cheapest haul outs for bottom cleaning and repaint.
Not broke but want to stay that way.
Max
CALMAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 23:00   #2

Welcome to the group Max,

The last time we were going down the coast, Half Moon Bay had a large anchorage that was free. I understand that they may have put in mooring balls now???

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:48   #3

HALF MOON BAY IN THE WINTER

Thanks re: H.M.B. Pulled in there one blustery weekend almost two years ago. Dock Staff tried to tell us no vacancies. When I tied up on the loading platform and got face to face with him, his recant was quite different.
We learned the winds whip across H.M.B. fiercely during winter months. Years ago I heard a rumor that parts of the bay near Alameda were open to free anchoring.
We saw a line of sailboats off the coast of Santa Barbara Ca. that were on hooks, will check that area as well.
Right now our plan is to scour the coast from L.A. to Santa Barbara looking for an older Motor Sailor, even something in dry dock may be of interest.
max
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome aboard Max!

Alameda has plenty of area to anchor. No mooring balls though. In fact, there are anchorages all over the SF Bay that are free. Just check your charts for them. Hospital Cove off Angel Island has some mooring balls. Ayala Cove at Angel Island has some mooring balls for a fee. There is a nice little anchorage at Paradise park in Tiburon. There is China Camp in Marin County.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:06   #5

David M,

Wow, They must have changed the Ayala Cove rules. When we were last there (in 2003) they charged us every day. There was also a time limit we could stay there.

Max,

First, did you check out the anchorage in Monterey Bay??

The anchorage off of Santa Barbara may not work all that well. We talked to a few people who have been there recently and they tell us that during the winter the surf gets up a lot and they see boats washed ashore every year.

We did know of a guy who spent over a year anchoring in the SF Bay for free, but he had to move around quite a bit. We used to meet up with him from time to time in different anchorages.

If I was going to spend a season anchoring out, I would try the SF Bay before ANYPLACE on the coast. More protection and LOTS of stuff to do!

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greg,
I think you misread what I wrote. I said "Ayala Cove at Angel Island has some mooring balls for a fee." ...not for free. No problem.

Yes, there still is a time limit as well.

Max,
I forgot to mention Richardson Bay near Sausalito. I see lots of cruisers anchored there. There are lots of derelict boats in the northern part of that anchorage. (I don't know how to say that any nicer) It is safer if you anchor at the southern end of the anchorage.

There is also Moss Landing towards the middle of Monterey Bay. I don't know what the berthing situation is there.

People also anchor off of Santa Cruz in the northern part of Monterey Bay which is semi-protected from the northwest swell.

David

Old 04-08-2008, 10:54   #7

FREE ANCHORAGE

THANKS TO Both of you. I know this stuff, but age and work has cluttered what is left of my mind. It is great to be reminded of what was once daily recall.
Right now we have our Jensen (Cal) 27' in Moss Landing and even with the two annual clean ups and the rebates from the Power Company it is becoming a chore just to keep up with the soot and stains.
Moss Landing has junk boat auctions and I am wondering where other's may be found..??
We are actually considering a wood sailboat. I spent several years on a DeVries John Alden that was Mahogany. Most of what we are finding in our under 20k price range is junk. Thoughts?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Unless you REALLY like wood boats, I would stay away. A well maintained wood boat is a work of art indeed. Wood boats are more work and more expensive to maintain than a similar sized plastic boat. There are also insurance considerations. Some insurance companies will not insure wood hulls. Some yards will not haul a wood boat whose hull is of questionable strength for fear of breaking them.

The marina I am berthed at requires a bond from the owners of wood boats to cover the cost of disposal. Wood boats frequently get abandoned by the owners. The value of the hull is quite often negative (you have to pay someone to take it) or of such little value that it does not cover the cost of disposal. Disposal meaning hiring a crane to haul it out of the water, cutting it up with a chainsaw and hauling it away in a dumpster.

Wood boats also have a certain smell to them because the wood below the waterline is always moist and frequently have a small leaks. Some people like the smell and others don't. It's always been a good smell to me.

David

Old 04-08-2008, 11:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALMAXX View Post
... Right now our plan is to scour the coast from L.A. to Santa Barbara looking for an older Motor Sailor, even something in dry dock may be of interest...

...Moss Landing has junk boat auctions and I am wondering where other's may be found ...
... Most of what we are finding in our under 20k price range is junk. Thoughts?
"Junk boat sales" oftentimes sell "junk".
What I’d call a “motor-sailor”, I’d also call junk, if selling for under $20.
Numerous decent "auxiliary sailboats" should be available for under $20k, especially those "elders" 30 ft & under.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 13:00   #10

Boat: Well, I'm not there yet.
First Post, new to sail, no boat yet

Howdy folks! After living aboard my son's 1973 33' Morgan for 8 days in St. Pete, FL last week and sailing with him after work in the evenings, I'm hooked.

I want to live aboard a sailboat and cruise the Carib but need to learn how to sail of course. I'm in great shape financially and looking to retire soon. I'll probably lurk a good bit before posting but just wanted to say hello to all...
Pepys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 13:49   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and welcome aboard (Samuel?) Pepys.
You could share some of your famous (or not) diary with us under your own introductory thread.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 18:19   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Cal,
Welcome aboard! You've gotten lots of responses. Just this last month I sailed down to Moss Landing from SF Bay. Moss Landing seems like a great place to have a boat. I probably saw yours there.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:10   #13

what it is ... AND what it should be

We are scouring the west coast for an older motor sailor. Wood is good.
I would like to hear from anyone having sailed from SF BAY to SO. CALIF.
Places to put in. Anchorages etc.
I understand the ideal time is coming up. We may have to put this off until next summer.
Note: we tried to land at the SANTA CRUZ PUBLIC DOCK on the pier. It was taken over by SEA LIONS and there was no apparent effort to make this usable for humans GRRRR! Where there was usually half a dozen boats on hooks we say only three. Capitola seemed a great deal friendlier. I am still new at this thread thing and hope I have not missed any posts. My sailing email address: maxclark101@hotmail.com
cheers...
Old 06-08-2008, 11:14   #14

often i have applied patience to searches and the results have been good. my present cal jensen 27 was purchased for 1k usd. we had it surveyed and appraised at 3500. overall i agree junk is junk but sometimes jewels are discarded as well.
max