Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2004, 06:45   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 41
Send a message via Skype™ to johnhoedemakers
Exclamation New to this forum

I got a few minutes, thought I'd say hello.

I'm John, captain of JoHo, a Morgan 321. Sailed her from 1998 till now, next trip due in 2005/2006. Boat is waiting in Turkey now, being painted etc..

Next trip is to Australia (eventually). Any people we will meet lookin' in here ?

Hear 'ya.

PS, more info at www.syJoHo.nl
johnhoedemakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 07:52   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Welcome aboard! Sounds like a sturdy craft with some serious sea miles under the keel .
We're curently on the hard as well, on Carriacou, one island north of Grenada in the southern Caribbean. Check us out at www.lanostra.net.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 09:07   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Will be Australia bound in abt 4 years from UK. going through panama cause I want to go dive in Galapagos (otherwise I think I would go down to capetown and across that way cause I intend to end up around Perth.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 02:39   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 41
Send a message via Skype™ to johnhoedemakers
Thanks for the welcome !

Sturdy craft eh.... let's say we just waited for the right winds and got some luck on the way. Let's hope all goes well in the coming cruise as well..

Diving Galapagos..... hmmm, I'm in for a bit higher watertemp if you don't mind. Equipment goes with us, but I can't get a small, cheap compressor that fits in a 32' boat (yeah I know, asking too much, giving too little but that's the way it is).
:-)
Hope we'll find some cuisers on our path with a budget less tight as ours (and with that compressor....).
:-D
johnhoedemakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2004, 08:05   #5

Quote:
johnhoedemakers once whispered in the wind:
Diving Galapagos..... hmmm, I'm in for a bit higher watertemp if you don't mind.
You want to try diving at Scapa Flow ! - get the right gear and its alright! I have been considering whether we should carry a pair of tanks each or one tank and a compressor, or just a single tank, or even no tanks at all, and I expect it will eventually be a toss up decided by funds at the last minute!
Old 30-08-2004, 13:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well if ya Navigating ain't so hot and you bump into New Zealand on the way to Ausie, look us up. Well hey, Australia is a little Island of the West Coast of NZ It would be easy to do

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 10:25   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Talbot - What size is your boat? With all the other cruising gear space will be a big determining factor in how many (if any) tanks you bring along. We learned to dive using our boat as a platform - had a PADI Instructor on board as a charter guest - and I can tell you that tanks are bulky and heavy and take up a lot of room. (Of course, we were dealing with eight of them! ) Our boat also took a bit of a beating moving bulky, awkward dive gear on and off. I've continued to dive while cruising, but I now confine myself to going with commercial dive boats and using their tanks. A whole lot easier, and a better and safer way to learn new areas. Just a thought
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 10:33   #8

Quote:
harryrezz once whispered in the wind:
Talbot - What size is your boat? I now confine myself to going with commercial dive boats and using their tanks. A whole lot easier, and a better and safer way to learn new areas. Just a thought
present boat is a 9m cat, and with that boat I had planned on just a pair of cylinders. but I am now planning on upgrading to a snowgoose (provided other plans work out).

Commercial is a great way to learn new areas, but I like to use my camera underwater, and have yet to find a divemaster who is prepared to wait while I do what I want to do, without being a right pain. Furthermore it is another added expense