Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 09:59   #1

Boat: 43 Beneteau
new to these boards

We have been sailors for 20 years and I have just bought our first NEW boat...a beneteau 43. As older sailors there were some new safety/ease of living features that seemed would make sailing into our old age easier. I would love to hear from sailors over 60 and how their passages have gone. We hope to go up to Maine from the Chesapeake and eventually down to FL and the keys for a winter. I've always found message boards a great source of info for traveling and look forward to gaining great insights.
nancynana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Nancy - I moved your post to your own Start - I'm sure you want to have your own meet and greet area. Welcome to our forum!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:24   #3

Thanks...still figuring it all out!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Nancy,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you have fun on this forum. I'm over 60 but not out on the water. I'm still redoing my boat. So, you folks are way ahead of me. Keep on going!!
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:06   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Hi Nancy,

I think the majority of the contributers here are over 60 although most of us think we're still 17. That is until we start trying to go aloft!!
Old 10-11-2007, 13:29   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I think the majority of the contributers here are over 60 although most of us think we're still 17. That is until we start trying to go aloft!!
Hey... I still have a couple of years to go........ and I'm 16 at heart...

Hi Nancy and welcome aboard
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 13:48   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
As older sailors there were some new safety/ease of living features that seemed would make sailing into our old age easier.
If you get the urge to head south we are on the York River across from Yorktown, VA. Welcome to the forum. Making it easier to sail into your old age sounds like the plan to me. Pick your weather because you sure can't be in a hurry. Being in a hurry would be a bad idea. If you are not careful it makes a journey into an itinerary, headed toward a schedule. You are never late when sailing!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:24   #8

We are neighbors since we live in Deltaville. We just arranged for a slip for the boat this afternoon. We will be on Jackson Creek. I hope to meet some time. We can never know too many fellow sailors! For sure...no rush/no schedule will be the way to go. Thanks for making the connection.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We should be up to Jackson Creek some time next spring. We also have friends on Stutts Creek as well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome aboard Nancy...at 60 you are just getting started! Enjoy the boat and all the good times it will bring.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 16:11   #11

Boat: B24
Welcome – I’m pretty new to this forum myself – mostly happily lurking and soaking up all the skilled insight – although I qualify in the six-oh-or-so category, and have been sailing off and on since the seventies, I’d not call myself much of a sailor… I enjoy reading the exploits of those who have seen the world on their own keel, but at best we’re just Bay sailors…
Old 12-11-2007, 00:27   #12

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Nancy,
Welcome also. Most of the guys we meet up with fit in the age bracket you mention, and we both hit that magic number in the next 24 months.
Good luck with the new boat - a nice choice for warm weather cruising.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 12-11-2007, 03:30   #13

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Hi Nancy,

The captain and I will be celebrating our 65th and 60th birthdays respectively in a few months in the Caribbean. Cruising at our age is not that difficult if you really want to do it. Obviously you chose a boat that you feel will be both safe and comfortable as a live aboard vessel. That is very important. And after 20 years of sailing, you don't have to prove anything to anyone. So you pick your weather windows carefully, and only go when you feel the conditions are right. If you are reasonably healthy, there is no reason why you can't be out there for years to come.

Best of luck and fair winds,

Harriet
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 16:37   #14

This is such fun to hear from all types of sailors. The words of encouragement are terrific as there are the "other" folks saying you have to do it when you are young...and since we missed that window...this is the one we've got! I know every day when we see the sun on the water and the wind feels the sail, we will feel very lucky.
Old 13-11-2007, 16:52   #15

Boat: Sceptre 41
Well I have 16 years to go before I qualify for the 60 crowd but welcome anyway.LOL

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote