Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 10:27   #1

New to the forum

Hello, just registered. Joined as I found I was reading a lot of the posts for technical support, as I prepare to get my new (to me anyways) boat up to spec.

I'm based in Denia, Spain but originally from Alberta Canada.
Cheek Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:22   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: New to the forum

Welcome aboard.

Another Ketch is good
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:30   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:40   #4

Thanks, maiden voyage however did not get to hoist the mizzen due to a bad halyard....but should be cleared up this week. Have not ever sailed a ketch before so looking forward to it!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:32   #5

HELLO. IM NEW TO FORUM ALSO. LOOKING FOR INFO RE: LA PAZ AND/OR CABO SAN LUCAS

Hello looking for info re; la paz , or cabo san lucas, mexico.....My plan is to leave as soon as possible on my sailboat and to head down there and retire...What can anyone tellme about the area?? I did read a post where there was a member that just left to come home from la paz in april....If i could swing it i may buy a $50.K home and do liveaboard....Or ????? How's the safety aspect and is it a place where people such as myself, who are used to being in a country that has basic things like internet, gas available. And food and milk around the corner at 711....Just wanna know if these things are available in la paz and/or cabo san lucas? Thank you. Last note: do you think there is any time of year that may propose a problem with weather on any certain time of year 'not to leave.'
elskede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:44   #6

looking for people with mexico cruising experience....Please. Thank you. La paz and/or cabo san lucas is where im thinking of retiring asap.. Please respond. anyone with cruising experience in mexico please feel free to give me any pointers of any kids...Ie: can i get supplies easily; food, gear, water, gas , etc....Can i have my medicine prescriptions that i get from my dr that i will need for the rest of my life...Can i get them while living in mexico....Would my money be safer in cash....Hid in my boat or in a us bank with access to a cash machine in la paz or cabo??? Or is there such a thing? I noticed that most to the doors and carport's on the ad's for realestate for sale have bars on them...Is it dangerous in this area? I did hear 10 years ago from a dr friend of mine that moved there and he told me that he was living like a kind on 3k a month...A block from the beach, his sailboat right there and he had a live in maid....Anyone that know's about this area let me know....Im considering 'fiberglassing' a 'chunk of cash' in the hull of my boat and just throwing caution to the wind...However i do want to be prudent. Anyone with knowledge of la paz and/or cabo san lucas and being a transplant from seattle wa to retire there let me know.....Thank you very much.
Old 03-10-2012, 13:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede
LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WITH MEXICO CRUISING EXPERIENCE....PLEASE. THANK YOU. LA PAZ AND/OR CABO SAN LUCAS IS WHERE IM THINKING OF RETIRING ASAP.. PLEASE RESPOND. ANYONE WITH CRUISING EXPERIENCE IN MEXICO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME ANY POINTERS OF ANY KIDS...IE: CAN I GET SUPPLIES EASILY; FOOD, GEAR, WATER, GAS , ETC....CAN I HAVE MY MEDICINE PRESCRIPTIONS THAT I GET FROM MY DR THAT I WILL NEED FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE...CAN I GET THEM WHILE LIVING IN MEXICO....WOULD MY MONEY BE SAFER IN CASH....HID IN MY BOAT OR IN A US BANK WITH ACCESS TO A CASH MACHINE IN LA PAZ OR CABO??? OR IS THERE SUCH A THING? I NOTICED THAT MOST TO THE DOORS AND CARPORT'S ON THE AD'S FOR REALESTATE FOR SALE HAVE BARS ON THEM...IS IT DANGEROUS IN THIS AREA? I DID HEAR 10 YEARS AGO FROM A DR FRIEND OF MINE THAT MOVED THERE AND HE TOLD ME THAT HE WAS LIVING LIKE A KIND ON 3K A MONTH...A BLOCK FROM THE BEACH, HIS SAILBOAT RIGHT THERE AND HE HAD A LIVE IN MAID....ANYONE THAT KNOW'S ABOUT THIS AREA LET ME KNOW....IM CONSIDERING 'FIBERGLASSING' A 'CHUNK OF CASH' IN THE HULL OF MY BOAT AND JUST THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND...HOWEVER I DO WANT TO BE PRUDENT. ANYONE WITH KNOWLEDGE OF LA PAZ AND/OR CABO SAN LUCAS AND BEING A TRANSPLANT FROM SEATTLE WA TO RETIRE THERE LET ME KNOW.....THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I don't want to blow this out of proportion for you but yes.....if you go to Mexico the chances of surviving are slim. There is no Internet and south of San Diego its quite possible to encounter fire breathing dragons..... Joking of course!
Mexico is fine, lots of supplies, don't believe CNN. Cabo has Costco & SAMs Club. La Paz is amazing and the scuba south towards the ferry terminal is awesome. Just be aware of some basic security precautions and enjoy. Keep the cash in the states, ATM's abound.
Old 07-11-2012, 19:46   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 07-11-2012, 20:41   #9

Well thank you skipperJohn!
I am getting ready to sell everything and move to Puerto rico!
I cant wait...
guess...what...im doing it on a shoestring..
again, thank you for the well wishes.
I just decided oct 9th to retire.
im getting ready (within 3 months) to be in Puerto rico...
ill keep you posted on my shoestring journey.
I already got the boat picked out...ill bring my solar....my genset...my astronaut food...my deepcycles....and my anchors.....
rechargeable batterys and my inverter....and again..
thank you very much!
ill keep you posted.
Stephen Kenneth
Seattle Wa
im Norwegian....