Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2008, 07:18   #1

New to the Forum

Hi folks,
Greetings to all. I'm planning on retiring in the next two years and am looking at buying a boat in the British West Indies and sailing the region each winter, returning to Canada for the summers. I am presently taking courses and trips on a 40-foot sailboat along with coastal and offshore navigation courses until that time. Is there anyone out there with experience with what my wife and I are planning? Any and all info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Churchill
Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 20:26   #2

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Welcome onboard... You will find many on the forum that successfully replicate your intended sailing process. It sound an excellent balance. Enjoy the forum
Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 22:04   #3

Location: 30 Years in Alaska, Anchorage, Valdez, Fairbanks and Juneau
Boat: Rojo-Sailor 46 Windseeker II
Newcomer to Cruisers Forum

I found this Forum yesterday while searching Web sites for Colin Archer designed vessels. I own a 47 foot Colin Archer built in Holland in 1982.
She was built in a yard in Leystadt. She is built in steel is ketch rigged and has a Ford Lehman 80HP in her engine room. Have owned the vessel for eleven years and at this juncture would not part with her. At present we are having her moved to Juneau Alaska where my wife and I live. She has left Everett, WA this week. My wife and I originally left San Francisco last June on her headed north. The seas on the Pacific coast were so bad, high winds and short moment seas we hired a delivery captain that got as far as Astoria, Ore. She spent the winter in the Columbia River. Then got to Westport, WA and the engine sprang a leak in the rear main seal. Many dollars later we have gotten to Everett, WA and are not on the final leg of what we thought would be a 2 month delivery. He he he. I work in Communication Electronics but my love is Marine Electrical and Electronics. Battery Plants, Charging CKTs. Rewiring, Installing new Breaker Panels. I have built my own Diesel 4.5KW Generator set and that Engine runs my Water Mater pump. I will stop being so wordy but would love to help anyone with electrical problems they may have that I could help solve if possible. Thank you for listening. JL
windseeker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 10:55   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Welcome to you both. Churchill, there are folks here that can help you with your question if you post it in another thread.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 13:05   #5

Thank you for both the kind welcome and the excellent suggestion, SkprJohn, because I need all the help I can get!
Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote