Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 10:59   #1

New to the forum!

Hi all,

I've been following this forum, but first time sending a message. Me (Banu) and my partner (Deniz) have been living onboard for almost 14 years now. This is our 3. boat, and we finally started our longest journey from Turkey (yes, we're Turkish) in mid november. We were late and lost so much time on the way since this is our first serious sailing on our boat and she's an old lady (34 years)...so had many technical problems so far...but we love her! She's a Gilbert Caroff design, steel boat built in Canada.

Our plan is to sail to South America, and if all goes well, to Patagonia, and decide the rest afterwards. We're still in Med, in Sicily.
As many sailors, we have sooo small budget, all our savings so far but we want to experience this dream..Anyways, just wanted to say hello, and probably sending more messages in coming days

Anyone has a suggestion if we can still across the ocean this season? We dont plan to go to Carabians but to Brazil? When is the good time period?

Ahh, you can follow us on facebook page : S/Y Gezi
we update it also in english for our foreigner friends.

best,
banu
BANUSCUBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 22:49   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New to the forum!

Hello there, banu, and welcome aboard.

There are many CF'ers other than me who know about the Atlantic crossing this time of year.

What you can do is read up on the trade wind routes, and with that knowledge, combine in what the experienced Atlantic crossers will have to tell you. "Atoll" & "Boatman 61" have such crossings.

There is a wide spectrum of wealth of posters here on CF. There is a thread for the $500 per Month cruisers. Those are the ones who are best at inexpensive and practical.
It could be a resource for you.

Otherwise, just post your questions, with the proviso of keeping costs down. Folks will do their best to help.
Ann
Old 11-01-2015, 02:11   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Banu, Welcome to the community. We'll be interested in following your adventures!
Old 11-01-2015, 03:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Banu.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 18:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard Banu!

I have seen a few Caroff designs in steel and like their look.

Since you plan on cruising Brazil and Patagonia, I have two recommendations:

1. I came across a blog written by a young couple from Brazil who post photos of their cruising up and down the Brazilian coast. They also cruised for 10 years in the Pacific on their metal boat. So, I suggest seeing their blog, as you might find something interesting there related to anchorages etc. "Green nomad" is the name. The blog is multi-lingual. They have also had a part in designing a metal boat I like very much. Green Nomad | .

2. I came across another website/page that has a lot of info on it regarding cruising in Chile. This was written by another CF forum member (Frank Holden), he goes by the avatar or screen name of El Pinquino. I found his blog very interesting as that shows many photos of his years cruising the fjords of South America. He has a lot of experience in that area, an area I hope to visit someday too. This link is not to his blog, but has some information and photos from him. http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/Chile

Here is his blog:
Panoramio - Photos by Frank Holden

I hope you have a wonderful adventure!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum