Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2009, 09:37   #1

pirate New to the Board and to Sailing

You know how school counsellors ask you "what would you do if you had a million dollars?" and whatever you answer should be your career? Well my answer is sail around the world on my boat. Now I don't have a boat nor do I have a million dollars but I'm hoping to find a way to live the lifestyle.

I figured this was the place to start when trying to learn about cruising and I'm hoping somebody could point my in the right direction. I have a ton of questions like:

What size boat would be ideal?
How many miles can you expect to travel in a day or week?
What is necessary to have on a live aboard? Power, water, head, ect...
Insurance?
How to handle storms?
How to sail?
Can I sail a xxft boat by myself?
ect....

You get the idea, I'm just getting started. Any information you could give or books you could recommend would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to spend some time on a ship, any ship, and have posted in the Crew Available section already. If you can offer or know someone that can offer me some time on a boat you would have my many thanks.

Regards,

Jon
joburnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 09:51   #2

Boat: islandpacket
search this site for most of what you need. Take a class and join a sailing club. Really stay here and read you will learn alot.
Old 23-10-2009, 09:55   #3

There are a lot of opinions out there, and a lot of disagreement. Some people spend $10k a month, some spend $10k a year. Some people don't have engines, some people have multiple engines and generators. But for whatever it's worth, here's my $0.02:

What size boat would be ideal?
28-36 monohull. Error on the smaller side.
How many miles can you expect to travel in a day or week?
24-200 in a day. Depends on the wind, and how engine dependent you are.
What is necessary to have on a live aboard? Power, water, head, ect...
You'll want DC power, AC if you're fancy, a head with a holding tank, a water tank, a place to sleep, and a galley you can prepare food of whatever complexity in.
Insurance?
If the boat is on payments, the bank will require it. If you go to a marina, the marina will require it.
How to handle storms?
Experience is paramount. Work your way up over time to handle harder and harder conditions. Each boat responds differently, and there are different strategies. As you progress in your boat handling skills, you'll figure out which ones work for you and your vessel.
How to sail?
My dad said you can teach someone to sail in half an hour, and they'll be good in twenty years if they keep doing it. It takes time to be good, but the basics are pretty simple. Rent a hobie cat or other small dinghy type sailing vessel to get the hang of it. Small boat sailors are the best big boat sailors.
Can I sail a xxft boat by myself?
That's why I said smaller is better. Small = cheaper, less powerful lines, less powerful winches, smaller sails, shorter rigging, etc, etc. I don't think there's any credible source to say that a 45' boat is any safer than a 25' boat, if each has a competent and qualified crew onboard. And a bad crew can get into a lot more trouble on a bigger boat than a smaller one. Very easy to get overpowered.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 10:28   #4

I'm self employed and currently working on getting myself a reasonable salary while being able to work from a boat. Current cell phone broadband speeds have made this possible but I'm going to need to stay near civilization.
Old 23-10-2009, 11:05   #5

Boat: Cascade
Join a sailing school and start somewhere.. NOW!

Go buy the following books:
Heavy Weather Sailing adler cole
Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual
The Annapolis Book of Seamanship
Old 23-10-2009, 11:19   #6
CLOD

Boat: none
Jon

If you search the site you will find this gets asked lots of times, and the answers always comes down to "if this if that". I found this site looking for the same answers before I had ever sailed before (and never posted anything for 6 months). As Solitude says, take a sailing class, join a club, read a lot of books and forums (stay out of the view point battles), hang around the marina etc and just start sailing. I know this probably sounds like a blow off answer, but you will never get the answers for YOU with the orginal question on any forum. They all just come together once you get started on the path.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 15:59   #7

I know how to sail small boats, grew up sailing a piece of Styrofoam with a sail called a snark and a Hobie 16. What I don't know anything about is slightly larger boats with a cabin and multiple sails. I wasn't really looking for answers here just to introduce myself and get any recommendations. Thanks for the input so far!
Old 23-10-2009, 16:13   #8

Ok, new question. I'm seeing a lot of 21-25' sail boats for sale for $1-2k. Most are built in the 80's and at least say that they are in good condition. I could afford one of these now pretty easily but are they all basically just going to be a big project I have to dump a bunch of money into? Examples are 1980 Com Pac 23', 1973 Pearson 26', Seaward 24', ect... There are a ton of boats like this on craigslist. You usually get what you pay for so what are some thoughts on these boats?
Old 23-10-2009, 18:01   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum
Those are all great boats. My friend and her boyfriend lived on a 23 compac for a couple of years (don't ask me how) they loved that boat. Good boat, good quality. The pearson 26 is a great work horse. I have friends that sailed their 26 from Texas through the canal to Costa Rica. They beefed up the rig and added a better galley. They lost the rudder in the gulf (so I'd add a skeg or carry an extra rudder). I don't know the seawards. I live on a 30 footer and it can feel small at times, but she is perfect for single handing.
Another thing to keep in mind is many marinas have a footage limit so you may have to buy a 30-40 footer in order to be allowed to live on your boat.
The boat will be more expensive than you think. There is no such thing as a cheap boat - really. I always use this rule when estimating the price of anything to do with boats. Estimate the cost, and estimate high, then double it and you might be close.
Hope this helps,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 18:06   #10

Boat: islandpacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet View Post
Ok, new question. I'm seeing a lot of 21-25' sail boats for sale for $1-2k. Most are built in the 80's and at least say that they are in good condition. I could afford one of these now pretty easily but are they all basically just going to be a big project I have to dump a bunch of money into? Examples are 1980 Com Pac 23', 1973 Pearson 26', Seaward 24', ect... There are a ton of boats like this on craigslist. You usually get what you pay for so what are some thoughts on these boats?
It depends on what you want out of a boat and what you have to do to fix it. It could be trashed. But even if it looks ok and you have to replace missing sails, just that could be prohibitive. Missing mast or holes just walk away.
But I would not spend alot, and it will cost more than you think. Just dont worrie about cosmetics. Is it sound? is it dry. Does the motor work?
Take a look at a few, but DO NOT jump at the first one. Some groups get donated boats because the owner does not want to or cannot sell it. I have seen a few nice ones under 5K. Just look, ask questions and learn.
Old 24-10-2009, 16:05   #11

I'm going to take some advice I saw in another thread and join a sailing club. The sailing club of washington looks like a great way to learn a bit more about sailing.
Old 24-10-2009, 20:55   #12

Boat: o'day 302
I will always vouch for joining a race team. They are easy to find. Whatever your nearest port is with sailboats, odds are there racing. Talk to people and join a team. This will take you from the smaller 14-20ft boats into the world of the 30ft+ boats. You will also learn a ton in one season. As for which boat, how much, I will say when your done your race, and having a beer with your team folding sails, they are the best source of knowledge you will find.
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 16:38   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
You've gotten some good advice. If you look just after my signature on this post you'll see a link to a search engine and them some other links to recommended boats for voyages and a book recommendation.
The search engine is not the same as the one you see just as you link up here on the forum and in my opinion is a bit better.
So, where will you be sailing?
regards,
Old 15-11-2009, 07:56   #14

Jon, You have recieved a lot of great advice on your questions, and hopefully moving forward toward taking some sailing classes. They might make a great Christmas present for yourself.

Good luck and if we can help let is know.