Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2010, 21:57   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
New to the Board

Hello to all, and thanks for being here to provide so much experience and wisdom about something we're all in love with. I've spent a few years on San Francisco Bay as a regular crewman racing Islander 36's, and later owned my own Islander 28, which was as sweet a boat as I've ever sailed on the bay. Have also done a little bareboating when I had money to burn, and have also sailed from San Francisco to San Diego and back on a classic Swan 43, which was a wonderful experience. I'm sneaking up on finding my own cruiser in the 30' range and then pointing towards Baja and on to the S. Pacific. For a year, two, ten? I have no idea, but as you all know, we aren't getting any younger and there will come a day when this sort of adventure won't be possible any longer. So, I look forward to sharing thoughts and experiences with all of you.

Cheers!

PS: Does anyone sail a Snipe or C-Scow? I learned to sail on both when I was a teen. The C boat was all wood from Johnson Boatworks in Minnesota. What a hoot to sail!
OaklandSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 22:07   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
welcome aboard! We hail from across the bay on oyster point, but were over in your neck of the woods this weekend for the strictly sailing show. glad to see another local here!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 22:53   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
Hi Sarafina and thanks for your Hello. I'd wanted to spend the weekend at the show but had other obligations. I haven't ever sailed down your shore but as I recall you get some great breezes over there. Are you cruisers, racers or bay sailors? Since I don't own a boat now, and my pal sold his Swan I don't have anyone to cruise locally (or even dink around) with. If you do leave the gate from time to time and need a hand, please give me a shout here or at five won owe, 53zero, fifteenthirtyfour. (Is that cryptic enough? Jeez!)

Mark
OaklandSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 11:15   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I've only sailed on your bay three times but enjoyed the experience a great deal. Very changeable winds in the south and pretty predictable up around the gate. Tides were negotiable.
I lived in Oakland while stationed at Treasure Island in the 60s. Was it Lake Merritt where all the dinghy sailers came out on the weekend?
regards,
Old 19-04-2010, 13:28   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Hey Oakland

Hey there. Nice day in Oakland yesterday. I was also at Stricktly Sail. It was so nice yesterday I took the day off today to go sailing and now look...
Never can tell what you are going to get these days!
I am thankfull for the recession... it has finally got me pointed in the right direction (Mexico) too. I'm planning on Fall '11. Almost went last year. Got as far as San Diego and received a call for a project. Slowly made my way back up the coast and into the Delta for a month before going back to work.
Good luck with your search for "the boat".
All the best,
Liam in Santa Cruz.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote